Canker Sores

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Nov 14, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Does anybody else have problems with canker sores? In the past, I've had them only occasionally, but lately I seem to be having a swarm of them--to go along with tooth pain. I was wondering whether acid reflux might be a factor in this. Also whether some of the medications we take--not just the main ingredient, but also the "filler" used by various manufacturers--might contribute. This may not sound like a big deal, but in the last couple of days, I think my canker sores have caused me more pain than my aching teeth!

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Does anybody else have problems with canker sores? In the past, I've had them only occasionally, but lately I seem to be having a swarm of them--to go along with tooth pain. I was wondering whether acid reflux might be a factor in this. Also whether some of the medications we take--not just the main ingredient, but also the "filler" used by various manufacturers--might contribute. This may not sound like a big deal, but in the last couple of days, I think my canker sores have caused me more pain than my aching teeth!

--Laura R.M.
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I would recommend seeing a physician to determine the cause of these sores. The mouth sores/and or thrush, can be treated with Mycelex oral lozenges. Nystantin antifungal is used, too, but, seems to take longer, to relieve the discomfort that goes along with these, in my experience, and tastes like heck.
    Karen
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I've had them almost all my life, but they seemed to be worse when my health deteriorated. Now that I'm more stable they have eased up a bit. My doc didn't seem to think much about them, so I have no advice for you about them.

Barbara
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I have had canker sores so bad that I took vicodin half an hour before I ate, just so I could chew somewhat comfortably---and that didn't really help a lot. I tend to get them when I am exceptionally run-down, I mean more than usual FM pain/fatigue. Haven't had them so badly lately, but I absolutely know how miserable you can feel with them---talking or eating can be agonizing, and I usually get a horrible headache from them, even a sore throat & earache (on the side that the sore is) from them.

Luckily, they do go away--hope yours do soon!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Interesting that you should mention tea tree oil.

I've had very bad fungal infections in my big toenails (both feet) for many years. Since I got no help from the docs (the oral meds they have for this causes liver problems, and the only topical treatment that seemed to be working required regular trimming and re-checking of the nails, which my HMO wouldn't cover), I followed a suggestion to try tea tree oil. At first, I thought it was working, but I guess I might have been too zealous about how much I was using. I think what happened is that it dried out the skin around the toenails enough to cause cracking. At any rate, one doctor seemed to think that a bacterial infection had formed underneath the fungal nails and gotten into the skin itself. My feet wound up bright red from about the ball of the foot to the toes--and the infection kept spreading, despite oral antibiotics. Finally, a very caring and attentive doctor got me into the infusion center for IV antibiotics for several days. That ultimately knocked out the infection.

Another doctor tried to say I was allergic to the tea tree oil, but I don't buy it. I had been using the tea tree oil for months--maybe as much as a year--without experiencing anything like that, and the inflamed area included parts of my feet that weren't anywhere near where I had applied the tea tree oil.

Anyway, after all that, the idea of applying tea tree oil inside my mouth certainly doesn't seem very appealing!

I think I'll stick to swabbing the sores with cotton swabs dibbed in liquid sore throat spray (Chloraseptic or Cepacol). That was my son's suggestion, and it seemed to help.

--Laura R.M.

7. tamara!

tamara! New Member

I think you used to much! Tree oil will dry out your skin,it's very strong. You only need to use a dab.
    It will dry out a fever blister VERY quickly. Yeaterday I started to get one and when I came home from work I put 1 dab on it and now it's gone. You can put a q-tip in water and then tea tree oil so it isn't so strong. I get a sore toungue and I usually only need to use it once or twice.
    I use it for many,many things but you only need a LITTLE.
    Do a search on it and you will probably find helpful info. on how to use it.I hope you can get rid of this problem they are very painful I hate them,I couldn't even eat with them before I started using tea tree oil.Listerine is good and I also use the listerine toothpaste,that has helped some.Good luck.

TAMARA!
  8. FMHoosier

FMHoosier New Member

This is my first posting. As I was reading through the message boards, I came upon your posting and had to reply.

I,also, have been plagued w/canker sores my whole life. Nothing I ever took made them go away--I should have purchased stock in Cloroseptic! My doctor & I have always assumed they were caused by high stomach acid &/or yeast. Just this year, my chiropractor read an article on "low" stomach acid and how it can also cause canker sores & yeast infections. He advised me to go to my health food store and purchase Betaine Hydrochloride. I started w/1 tablet after each meal, and increased my dosage until I felt a slight burning in my stomach (increased acid level), then backed off by one pill. The maximum is 7 tabs/meal. I actually got to 6 each meal & backed off to 5. I stayed on this for 4 months. In that time, my canker sores went from numerous, huge and painful, to just starting and going away in 2 days, to not getting them at all. I do get a flair up once in a while. When I do, I go back on the hydrochloride.

I also have problems w/chronic yeast infections. The hydrochloride has not been as effective in eliminating this problem. I still rely on a very understanding doctor and Diflucan for this problem.

I hope this may help in some way. I cannot guarantee that this will help & advise that you talk w/your doctor before trying it. My doctor is very good @ supporting my "alternative medicine" theories and actually works w/my chiropractor!

FMHoosier

9. sunflowertgp

sunflowertgp New Member

I also have canker sores, and nose sores. For a while, the canker sores were popping up about twice a month. I started putting nystatin on them, plus take zovirax. I t has helped.
    Toni