CanNOT believe stupid letter from SSI - update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Mar 9, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

This is nuts! I went to file for SSI for my 18 yo son who has chronic Lyme, our app't was on March 1 for interview, I went alone as his rep.

I got a letter today from SS saying that it was refused since I supposedly said on 2/28 (the day before the actual interview) that I didn't want to file for SSI for him!!???

What the h---??????? That was never said, in fact I didn't talk to ANYone from the gov't on 2/28! Why would I show up the next day to file if I HAD said that the day before!

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, the government is sooooo crazy!

all I can do is SIGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Most people are turned down the first time. I think they are hoping you'll just give up. Appeal.

Linda
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I think it's in the rules to deny everyone the first time. keep trying.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

IF there is such a things as a REGULAR denial, lol...

it just didn't make ANY sense that they said that I said on 2/28, the day BEFORE the ACTUAL INTERVIEW that I did NOT want to file for him... when I didn't even talk to anyone from the gov't,

and

even tho I showed up at the ACTUAL interview on 3/01, spent 1 1/2 hours with the SS lady who was nice, gave all the info, said yes I am filing, etc...

All I can guess is somehow we got confused with someone else - they did not even have my last name right, used my son's last name and not mine, which is clearly shown on application, authority to represent form, and his birth certificate, etc., etc.

I'll be calling the SS rep tomorrow who interviewed me 3/1, she gave me her card, to get this figured out... just ranting, this is soooo unbelievably inept and stupid situation!

Thanks!
    all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2006]
  5. lana33

lana33 New Member

I know what you mean. When I went for my interview they said to give them my checking acct info so that if I was approved, they could deposit my check.

When I got approved, I called to tell them I wanted to change my acct info cause I went to another bank. The lady said, we don't have acct. info for you. Your check was put in the mail.

They also had to receive my medical info 2 times cause they supposedly never received med records in the beginning.

It is just the way people do their jobs these days. I am no better than anyone else but it seemed when I worked that a lot of people just didn't take pride in doing a good job no matter what position they held.

I think long ago people cared more how they did their job.

Just my opinion.

Hugs,
    Lana
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

Dont take this sitting down if its untrue. Write them back and ask them for specifics about their untrue claim about your statement on 2-28.

Be sure and keep copies of all correspondence. Be polite but straightforeword business like stating that you are sure their is a mistake because you did not say this or even talk to anyone regarding this on 2-28.

This might not change the denial but you do need to get this cleared up in his file.
  7. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

NOthing surprises me anymore. My application is now going befre the judge and if he doesnt approve it, I have to go before the judge. That scares me to death. Did you get the phone # of the woman you interviewed with? Or her name to have a starting pt. but that doesnt mean she will remember you. Good luck

Suzette
  8. victoria

victoria New Member

So sorry for some of your stories...

It really is a national embarrassment how this all works... errr...
    rather, how it DOESN'T work!

I have a call into the lady who actually did the interview but probably won't hear from her until end of day (she told me that is when she usually is able to return calls), she had been super during the interview and given me her phone number if I had any new info, changes, questions, etc.

Oh and - her SIL has chronic Lyme - so at least she knew something about it all and even SHE said she will probably remember me because of that!

From what I can see, this mess has nothing to do with her at all -

I was re-examining the letter - it was issued 2/28 (the day BEFORE my scheduled interview) AND was FROM the office in the city of our mailing address... NOT the office I went to OR a central major office.

I tried to call the city's office that issued the letter but of course their phone lines are overwhelmed and it is impossible to get thru to anyone local...

I am going to wait until the ACTUAL interviewer calls me back before I bother with the national phone number, I think she can probably do more for me than anyone.

I will let you know what happens when I actually get to talk to somebody... this is sooooooo bizarre!

all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 03/10/2006]
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

Somehow I guess the guy who I talked to on the national SS telephone line put it down that my son lives at home, I worked, therefore we had assets...

this causes SS to determine he didn't deserve SSI!

-and the line that read "You told us you do not want to file a cliam for SSI" is 'just' what they say, doesn't mean a thing...

What a messed up system! I don't remember if that guy HAD asked, but I can't work, DH is on disability, and son lives elsewhere...

and even if he did live at home, why is an 18 yo considered an adult for every other reason or purpose in this country except this? Sheesh!

they have written these laws into a vicious circle, grrrrr --

but his file IS 'in line', not tossed out at least.

all the best,
    Victoria

10. victoria

victoria New Member

We do have an attorney actually, and I could've dropped this off to him, but really wanted to call myself to find out what was happening since I initiated this process before we hired him.

That is the one good thing is that they will have to pay what DH gets since he is adult child of a disabled parent! altho I thought he'd get medicaid not medicare? whatever, everything helps!

Anyway, regardless, it is totally on the record now that I don't work anyway and he does live elsewhere. . .

I fully realize this is only the beginning of a long series of hurdles as DH was a psychologist for 20 years before being disabled, I used to run his office and half my time was spent writing letters on behalf of his chronic pain pts.

I really wonder if the system is set up this way for 3 reasons:
    1)to keep gov't employees employed,
    2)to dissuade us from following thru, and
    3)to keep attorneys employed.

No WONDER 'they' have predicted a need for more attorneys in future years! They sure know how to drive otherwise sane people insane!

;/
    Victoria
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks... I'm sure our lawyer knows that... at least I hope so LOL; actually he is good, we have known him a long time, sent him many pts years ago....

But I didn't know that, it is a comforting thought. Now if only the medical benefits were retroactive! I AM going to try to get some welfare and emergency medicaid for him since I do have the paper showing he has applied, I was told that is what would be needed....

stay tuned, I know nothing will happen without great effort, sigh! I don't know how people like my son who has no wherewithall deal with this system... I guess they don't, actually, that is part of the travesty of our health system.

Thanks again!
    Victoria