Can't Blame ZMA after all!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Oct 16, 2002.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I stopped taking ZMA, thinking it was the reason for my waking up in the middle of the night for several hours with my mind rushing and chills. I have been off it for about two weeks,taking plain Magnesium instead, but it is still happening anyway.
    Then I read the excellent post on POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), which I know I have, but had no idea it caused so many other symptoms. I just thought of it as a nuisance that makes my head pound when I get up after sitting for awhile (and my pulse jump from 60 when sitting to 110 when standing).
    It seems I can attribute my awakening with a rushing mind and chills to adrenaline release due to the POTS, as well as my "panic attacks", which always happen when I'm outside walking in the heat (standing for long periods and heat together are a POTS no-no according to the article), the waking up with numb, tingling extremeties, and many of the other Neurological problems that are my number one complaint these days.
    I felt I had to publicly exxonerate the ZMA, as I don't want to scare away people who potentially may be helped by it.
    Klutzo
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I stopped taking ZMA, thinking it was the reason for my waking up in the middle of the night for several hours with my mind rushing and chills. I have been off it for about two weeks,taking plain Magnesium instead, but it is still happening anyway.
    Then I read the excellent post on POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), which I know I have, but had no idea it caused so many other symptoms. I just thought of it as a nuisance that makes my head pound when I get up after sitting for awhile (and my pulse jump from 60 when sitting to 110 when standing).
    It seems I can attribute my awakening with a rushing mind and chills to adrenaline release due to the POTS, as well as my "panic attacks", which always happen when I'm outside walking in the heat (standing for long periods and heat together are a POTS no-no according to the article), the waking up with numb, tingling extremeties, and many of the other Neurological problems that are my number one complaint these days.
    I felt I had to publicly exxonerate the ZMA, as I don't want to scare away people who potentially may be helped by it.
    Klutzo
  3. majic

majic New Member

thank you for this. the ZMA is the best thing i have found for me in two years. i hope you can find help for the pots soon. sending good thoughts to you. majic
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

Have you tried any of the treatments mentioned in the post? I have NMH which has lots of similarities and I am using all three of the meds mentioned and well as drinking tons of water.

I have found they improved my condition from barely being able to sit up for about thirty minutes to feeling almost normal a lot of the time, as long as I don't walk more than a minimal distance. I find that using my new scooter whenever possible has helped a lot, too!

Barbara
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Here I am awake at 3:30 am again. My doctor put me on Protonix for larangeal reflux and I got so dizzy I could hardly walk...may be the drug, or maybe I just threw my spine out of whack on my treadmill. When I lie down, the room seems to spin, so I'm up!
    Fog is hitting, but I believe all the treatments in that article involved more water, more salt or Florinef. Am I correct? I already drink a gallon of water daily. I can't do the others because I have high blood pressure,and when I stand up, I am part of the minority mentioned in the article that has a rise in BP, rather than a drop,and it is sometimes quite dramatic (ie. from 116/72 sitting to 200/110 standing.) And, that's with the blood pressure med that is esp. recommended for FMS patients, three times daily (Catapres).
    Were there other things you could try that I have forgotten? (That was a long article!).
    Hugs, Klutzo