can't even talk right!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bapakay, Sep 20, 2005.

1. bapakay

bapakay New Member

My daughter had a Mary Kay party tonight. It was alot of fun and of course i was the oldest one there!! That didn't bother me. However it was at 7:00 and it is getting late. I kept saying the wrong words, I noticed people didn't stay around me long. for instance i offered a gal to take home extra muffins and I asked her if she would like to take home "any pumpkins" now how stupid is that!!!
    Then the gal was showing a display of beautiful rings. I thought she said some were summer diamonds!!! of course I had to ask her what summer diamonds were.She looked at me a bit strange and she said "some are diamonds"!!!!I just laughed. One of my daughter's friends was sitting next to me and she told me she didn't get it either!!! I think she was trying to be nice to me.
    There were a few other times but I forgot them. I think it it funny and can laugh at myself. But I think some of the gals thought I was off my rocker!!!
    It does seem as I get tired I just don't get the right words out!!! If we can keep our sense of humor it will all be alright. I just wonder if this will get worse!!! I like to talk to much!!!
    Take care my friends!!!
  2. silky17

silky17 New Member

I just have to say I am with you. Thats probably the one thing that irritates me so much about myself.

But your little story gave me a good laugh. Yes , we do need to laugh at ourselves.

I would like to say keep your good attitude.

Debbie
  3. meinpain

meinpain New Member

That reminded me of a dinner party I had at my sister in laws family's home. The thing I remember most though, was at the table. They had some beautiful red sliced tomatoes. My sis in law's dad asked me if I'd like some tomatoes. I said no thanks I don't eat them. They all looked at me funny then started laughing..then he said...no, I asked you to Pass the tomatoes. I looked around for a hole to drop in. Several more things were mis said by me that night. But, none that got to me as bad as that. I love telling that story, as it makes me laugh. lol after all laughter is the best medicine..right?

meinpain
  4. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

...frustrating. I feel like I am the village idiot. LOL. In my head it makes sense but when it domes out it's something completely different. Also my tongue gets in the way so the words don't form right.
  5. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I keep forgetting the correct words. I'm losing my vocabulary. It wasn't fancy or anything, but it was MINE!

Jennypee

p.s. look at that little smiley guy playing his guitar with his best rock and roll face on. That guy cracks me up every single time.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

they understand and it can be very funny.

When I'm with people who dont know about my illness and my cognitive difficulties, I often laugh and say 'I get words mixed up' or ' I forget words' and then just carry on and they either get it or they dont.

I dislike the ones who give me weird looks and say things like 'did you say.....', sometimes I'll say 'no, I said....'and then they have to question their hearing.

What can you do.

Rosie

7. jana15

jana15 New Member

I also thought I was the only one that did that. I hate it when it happens and fortunately it only happens when I'm dog tired and CAN'T slip away for a rest. But I agree we have to laugh after all, it doesn't seem like any of us are really immune to having embarrasing consequences from this DD.

So keep smiling and of course your all welcome to come to a party at my house....chances are I wouldn't even pick up anyone elses verbal gaffs - I'm not even aware of my own!

Cheers Jana
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

serious issue i'm having...think pumkkins are bad? Check my crazy sos post just did and you'll feel looots better, I priomise!

Thats almost cute, but i sure know how scary tis!

Rachel
  9. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

Ah, yes.....the old brain fart syndrome. Yep, I miss my mind so much. I thing 1/2 my vocabulary is going, going, gone. I noticed that happening a few years before I was dx with these autoimmune diseases, and it is worse now. I cant retrieve common words, stumble on my words, or can thing but not speak them for some reason. I sound like a stutterer.....ddddduh! It makes my feel stupid and I'm an educated woman......or used to be. :eek:)

I also find that I can not read like I used to. I used to read all the time, and now I cant keep my mind focused enough to make any headway. anyone have that problem?
  10. MKlady

MKlady New Member

I can't. I talk and then I have to stop and think before I can talk again. I sound like an idiot!! There are days I can't get a three word sentence out straight. Good grief.
  11. twinkles49

twinkles49 New Member

I was just reading thrue the posts here and can sooo relate.

Do any of you ever avoid talking with people, such as those at work, etc because you know you aren't going to remember the correct words or as one person stated, you can't think and talk at the same time or something like that?

Anyway, I find that I'm avoiding talking with people because I keep sounding like the village idiot! And I'm the same as some, have a college background and I know that the words are there but I just can't think of them untill later. And it might even be days later that it comes to me what I wanted to say or the word that I lost.

Another thing is that I can be standing there talking and suddenly I've forget what I'm speaking about almost instantly in the middle of a sentence.

I keep thinking...what in the world is causing this??? There has got to be an answer someplace or is my brain just all used up...burn out????

As usual I ramble on..and...on...and..on
    Sorry
    Take care, Twinkles
  12. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I forget what I am trying to say, or the point of my conversation. I sometimes forget words. I mix up letters and numbers. Bad enough to have pain, fatigue and loss of physical capabilities...but to feel like I am losing my mind...even a little is really frightening to me.

But remember....they say it does not progress or get worse. That's the good news.
  13. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

And let me tell you the foot in the mouth is uncomfortable. I guess as I get older I also say what's on my mind a lot, talk is cheap, and time's expensive. So I usually tell it like it is and then it comes out wrong and look like an idiot.

Like the post above mine, I'm entertaining my family a lot these days, with my flubs.

Oh well, my mouth's big, maybe I'll put both in (lol).

Charlotte
  14. dononagin

dononagin New Member

you just click the reply button on the bottom corner.. type bump in the title.. bump in the message part and hit post this reply!

This thread is near and dear to my heart.. my fog is getting so bad I'm afraid it is going to get me fired.. I sell and plan events for a living.. I talk with clients all day long.. forgetting words is starting to be a real problem. I forgot the word buffet the other day.. I sell buffets in my sleep!! I could not for the life of me remember the word.. I'm telling the guest " you know where we set all the food out and you make your own plate?" Jeez!!

Simple objects.. I can't name.. I get lost on the way home from work.. I forget who I'm talking to on the phone.. I forget little details all the time.. It is really scary me that it seems to be getting much worse for me.. There are times I can see the humor.. Joe is great about knowing when I say the thingy what I am talking about.. but I feel sometimes like I am losing my mind..
    Hugs to all
  15. BethM

BethM New Member

Especially at the end of the work day, words just won't come out of my mouth in a straight line. Embarrassing when I am talking to parents administrators or teachers! The kids just think I'm strange, but they're not so wrong about that!

I also have to be very careful with numbers, as they flip around for me. Dialing a phone, which I do many times a day at work, can be daunting. I have to pay very close attention, or I am likely to mis-dial. I tell the kids I am famous for calling wrong numbers!

And yes, I don't always process what I hear properly, either, especially, again, when I am very tired. Sometimes I just give up, nod my head and smile a lot.

It's frustrating. I used to be able to hold an intelligent conversation, but lately, I have to assess how well my brain is working before I open my mouth!

Is reading a problem for any of you too? I find sometimes I read the words wrong, which can lead to some odd interpretations at times.

Anyway, I'm so glad you all are here too, with the same problem! Bet we'd have some interesting conversations if we ever met face to face as a group! *g*

Peace,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  16. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I too have trouble saying what I want to. Seems like my mind knows the words but my mouth won't spit them out. I have always worked with numbers and never had any trouble until lately. Now I turn them around quite frequently and that really causes problems (checkbook, phone numbers, etc.) I am sure, like someone else said, it would really be funny to hear all of us together trying to have a conversation!
    Better to laugh about it than to cry I guess.
    Stinker56
  17. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i am raising my granddaughter, who is now 10, all week i have called any name but her own. then went to the store, and ran into an old friend, couldn't remember hear name, then i get tongue tied, told the guys, i was cooking dish soap instead, i was cooking a pot roast. but we all laugh at it, and have fun. sometimes laughter is the best medicine of all
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

bapakay--

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were tired. Warning flags go up for me when these things happen and I rest until it passes. If I know there is an obligation (not that I get many) I rest before.
    Just a hint.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  19. matthewson

matthewson New Member

This post is so ME! I am so bad at thinking of the right word to say that at work, lunch break becomes a game of charades with my co-workers trying to figure out what word I am trying to say and I am flapping my hands at them saying, "close, but not quite the word I can't think of!".

It gets embarassing some times, so I don't talk as much at lunch as I used to for fear they will really think I am losing it!

Great post! Sally
  20. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I have felt so alone in this. It occurs more often when I am tired. I always say I have to stay married to my husband because he knows the other half of what I am trying to say. Sometimes he gets impatient when I have to talk all around the subject to get him to know what I am trying to say. It really bothers my kids because they don't want to accept that I have this problem. I get embarassed in front of others and just shut up. I have gotten lost going home from a town just 6 miles away three times! It takes me about an hour to finally get home. The other night the electricity went off and I could not find my bedroom in my own house. Had to yell for my sound asleep husband to come and find me. Two neurologists have said I am too vague about my symptoms and they don't think anything is wrong!