Can't Find Recent Article about Midodine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lonnye, Jun 11, 2003.

1. lonnye

lonnye New Member

There was a somewhat recent article about a study stating that Midodine was helpful for neurally mediated hypotention for CFS/maybe also for FM. It described the tilt table test results and how the drug used in the past (can't remember the name) didn't help, but this drug did. I thought I read it from Immunesupport.com library, but I can't find it.

My doctor wants to see it because it may be "doable." Can anybody help?

Thanks.
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Trying looking under midodrine. That should help. That is the generic name, although it is only available in the name brand of Proamatine. If this doesn't help, let me know. I take it and other things for NMH and can let you know more about it.

Barbara
  3. lonnye

lonnye New Member

Barbara,

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get back to you except like this.

Thank you for clarifying the name. Can you please tell me anything you can about it? I still can't locate that article. Thanks.

Lonnye
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

This is the best way to get back to me. I did some searching of my own last night trying to find a protocol somewhere, but I didn't come up with one. I know my doc got an update at the most recent AACFS meeting in Feb. I did find some info on the CFIDS association website.

There is also some stuff from Johns Hopkins, where the original research on it was done. You can type Neurally Mediated Hypotension into your search engine and you will get several sites to choose from. Those were the best I found and both have packets you can send off for.

Here is what my doc did for me. I am on three different medications for my NMH. First he tried putting me on a Beta Blocker, but that made my BP go way too low and within days I called and told him I was having shortness of breath when I was lying in bed, so I got off it then.

Then he tried me on Proamatine, which is the midodrine. One thing to keep in mind is that whatever med your doc begins with he should always start you on tiny doses. I started on one quarter pills and then gradually built my way up to one.

Then he began adding in the Beta Blocker. According to his source at AACFS, who is a researcher for NIH, the best one is Inderal, genereic name is atenelol. Again I began with tiny doses, but I was on another so I can't say what the beginning dose would be.

Currently I take Florinef, in the morning and at lunch, Proamatine three times a day, morning noon and late afternoon. I also take Inderal at bedtime.

I would suggest that your doctor check out the CFIDS website which has opportunites for docs to earn Continuing Education credits as they learn more about dealing with CFIDS. They also have an information packet on NMH. Otherwise I would say you need to find a doc who is familiar with this protocol.

Let me know if you need any more assistance. And welcome to the board!

Barbara