Can't get a good night's sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greeneyes24, Aug 15, 2003.

1. greeneyes24

greeneyes24 New Member

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm on Klonopin 0.75mg and it seemed to help for the first few weeks. Now, I have no problem getting to sleep but keep waking up so much during the night. I would get about 3 hours of sleep before waking up the first time, then I would go back to sleep and sleep 2 more hours. After that it's extreme struggle getting back to sleep and if I do manage to drift off, it's really lite sleep and I keep waking up every 40mins or so. When I add it all up I probably do get 7-8 hours but still I wake up feeling so exhausted and jetlagged like I haven't slept all night. I even tried to take 1mg of Klonopin last night but no difference. I know I would feel so much better if I got some decent sleep but all the meds I have tried so far only help me go to sleep not actually stay asleep. Help!
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I wish I could help, but I am in the same boat! I have an appt with Doc on Monday...to beg for something to help me sleep throught the night...deep sleep...not twilight or on and off sleep. i can "sleep" 11 to 12 hours in a row and still feel exhausted! I will keep up on this message to see if anyone has any good suggestions for us!
  3. shazz

shazz New Member

I finally found ONE medication that helped me sleep, topamax and had to quit taking it because it hurt my teeth terribly and my gums were bleeding LOTS.
    I asked if this could be temporary, but unfortunately the Dr. said probably not and took me off of it.
    It was the only thing that helped me sleep. I thought I had the answer to my prayers but it was short lived, two weeks is all. If you can take it without that problem maybe it would help you.
    So I am back to square one, on klonopin again, but still can't sleep without waking up several times.
    I think sleep is such a big issue for us, it makes all the difference in the world. I almost felt human for those two weeks when I could sleep 6-8 hours straight.

Good Luck!!
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Doxepin is one of the trycyclic recommended by docs and is the most sedative and has been reported to encourage Stage IV sleep, which is our main problem..and add to that Magnesium before bedtime, and then, try the Klonopin..on top of that..I am finding this combination to work much better than any one solution..

Ambien can also be used as a short-term solution, only for emergencies..not longer than a few days to a week..

I, also, exercise before bedtime, but that would probably be an individual thing..

Plantscaper
  5. greeneyes24

greeneyes24 New Member

I was so desparate for sleep that I took my normal Klonopin, then woke up 4 hours later which is actually pretty good for me but couldn't get back to sleep. So at 5am I took Temazapam which is a sleeping pill and that gave me 5 more hours. I actually felt half human that day, but I can't do that every night. I don't want to overdose on meds. I have even lost my ability to nap. I just lie there totaly exhausted but can't drift off to sleep.
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Here I am repeating myself for the probably the thousandth time. Have you tired ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) along with the Klonopin?

I was exactly like you described with the waking up all nightlong, and not being able to go back to sleep.

Since I have been taking the ZMA (17 months now), I am sleeping 7-8 hours a night, and if I wake for a bathroom run, I go right back to sleep.
    I feel so very much better since I am sleeping, and it also helps with RLS, I don't have the legs jumping at all anymore waking me up too.

We had a member here who took the Klonopin and the ZMA and he swore by it also. Thats how I found out about it. He has been taking it for over two years, and it is still working for him.

I take the brand from Pro Health, or if you buy it elsewhere be sure to get the SNAC brand. The others do not work for sleep!

I take Xanax (0.25mgs) at 7pm (for racing brain syndrome)
    ZMA at 9pm (for deep stage four sleep)
    2 1/2 mg of Melatonin right before bed to help me fall asleep.

Works like a charm.

It does take about 10-12 days for the ZMA to kick in, so if you try it be patient. Woman take 2 capsules a night, men take 3.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Shirl, keep repeating yourself please? Sometimes it just don't sink in until the right time..

Not sleeping well either. Wake up with headaches in the morning also.

Trying what you said, soon as I scrape the money together to purchase these supplements.

8. mroc37

mroc37 New Member

Hi thats fibro I dont think fibro lets any part of our bodies feel well Its a disease of pain.
    I dont sleep either
    Tonite i fell asleep at 10pm and woke up 11pm and im wide awake there are times When i get 4 hours sleep
    thats great for me
    Doc gave me bacloven for pain and muscle relaxer and i take 100 mg of zoloft
    Thats when i can usauly get that 4 hour sleep. Take care and feel better
    HOpefully sunday wil be a pain free day
    mroc37@aol.com
    mo2

[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2003]
  9. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

I just have to respectfully disagree with plantscaper ... Ambien is not just for emergencies. I took it for over a year (and would still be taking it if my insurance wasn't so crappy), my Mom has taken it for many years. It changed the quality of my life sooo much for the better. Some people do experience troubling side affects, so they cannot take it. But I think it is a great sleep med and both docs I've seen (one who has fibro) have said there is no problem with taking it long term.

If you look into Tietlebaum's (sp?) program, he suggests we all have to find the right thing for each of us as an individual ... and there are many combinations of meds and supplements that you can try. For instance, at this time I take Klonopin 1.5mg, Neurontin 600mg and Tizanidine 8mg at night and sleep pretty darn well. I also take a lot of magnesium. This combo, for me, is a lot cheaper than Ambien. I have a friend who is doing well on L-tryptophan (but you must have RX). Anyway ... good luck and keep trying to get the sleep you need! Warm hugs,
    Hayley
  10. keeponsmiling

keeponsmiling New Member

For those that are having problems sleeping... have you ever been tested for either sleep apnea or narcolepsy?

I've had sleep apnea for nearly a decade, and have been using a CPAP machine at night with fair results. I have now been diagnosed with CFS secondary to hypothalamus dysfunction. Narcolepsy can take on many different forms. In the severe stages, a person can fall asleep while driving, sitting quietly, etc. I wasn't that bad. But I was sleeping at least 12 hours a day, waking up numerous times at night, constant "brain fog" during the day, no energy to do anything, etc.

Since I had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea (which, by the way, can be a precursor to narcolepsy), my doctor put me on Provigil, a med that works directly on certain receptors in the hypothalamus gland to correct your sleep/wake cycle. It's been less than a week, but I can already tell a huge difference.

Some questions to ask yourself: Do you snore, or do others tell you that you snore? When you wake up at night, do you have a craving for sugar or some other "quick fix" or have symptoms of low blood sugar during the day? Do you feel rested in the morning, even with 8 hours or more of sleep? Do you wake up with headaches? Do you find yourself wanting to take frequent naps during the day? Is the urge so strong that you re-arrange your schedule so that you can sleep?

You might want to consider talking to your doctor about being tested at a sleep disorders clinic to rule out sleep apnea/narcolepsy.

All the best,

Cheryll
  11. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

but my physician indicated to me that it should not be used on a continuing basis, because it will probably lose its effectiveness and it is addictive to some extent...

when I have tried to stop taking it, I did experience some withdrawals..it can be quite seductive,as it is so effective..and I have found that other drugs/vitamins are not as effective for sleep,when you use Ambien on a regular basis..

I guess this can be considered to be an individual decision..and we do not all react the same way..I think Teitelbaum's recommendation that one should try a combination of different soltuions is wise...but look for solutions that will not be quite as potentially addictive as Ambien..

Plantscaper
  12. lovabuga

lovabuga New Member

I DON'T SLEEP VERY WELL EITHER AND I TAKE TRAZODONE AND AMBIEN AT BEDTIME JUST ABOUT EVVERY NIGHT.I THINK I WILL CHECK INTOTHE ZMA.I THINK IT IS THE PAIN ALSO THAT KEEPS US FROM GOING INTO STAGE 4 SLEEP.THANKS FOR THAT INFO.

LOVABUGA
  13. Eve612

Eve612 New Member

I go along with the ZMA in the mix. What works for me is two ZMA, one Benedryl, & one Dove Chocolate piece. I sleep at least 6 1/2 hours without waking up.
    Hope that you find something that works for you!

Eve
  14. GYPSYQUEEN

GYPSYQUEEN New Member

I too have problems sleeping. I've been taking zinc and magnesium but was unaware that B-6 was helpful.

I also take Ambien when I've had 3 or 4 sleepless nights. I cann't function without sleep.Thanks for the advice.
  15. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

Do you guys take? My acupuncturist asked me to start taking that and I bought a bottle of the 250mg and Ive been taking it 2 x a day should I be taking more of that? I take 150 of trazodone at night and 1 mg of klonopin and can't sleep very well. The doctor said I need to get off Paxil cause it is a horrible drug and interrupts our sleep patterns, he has seen it in all of his patients anyway
    -Megan
  16. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

I don't think ANY of us is getting a good night's sleep - I know I haven't in years. I tried Ambien - put me to sleep but didn't KEEP me asleep - plus I had very vivid nightmares while on it. I tried doxepin, but couldn't get up in the morning. Also had the same problem with Elavil. Also have tried Benadryl, but still keep waking up. So now I take 1 mg. melatonin (to get me to sleep); 100 mg. trazadone (Desyrel), and half a Klonopin. I thought I was sleeping much better, but a sleep study done a couple of months ago showed that I'm still waking up on the average of once every 11 minutes. Sometimes I'm aware that I'm waking up, other times not. It also showed that I'm not getting ANY Delta sleep.

I just read in the new Fibro. Network Newsletter about a study done with fibro patients and GHB (yes, the so-called 'date rape drug' - it's actually safer than taking Tylenol - it breaks down to carbon dioxide in your liver - very non-toxic). It got a bad rap because some idiots were abusing it, so they've ruined it for others that could really benefit from it. The only danger with it is taking it with alcohol or illicit drugs - then it CAN kill you. But so can Tylenol taken with alcohol, and other drugs, like NSAID's, which can cause fatal internal bleeding.

Anyway, it can be obtained by Rx (under the brand name Xyrem), but good luck finding a doctor that will have the ba--s to do it. Back in the late 90's my GP told me to buy one of the GHB precursors (Enliven, Reneutrient) and guess what - I slept like a baby.....until they took those off the market too.

If you find anything that DOES help you to sleep, PLEASE let all of us know!

Thanks,
    Barbara