Can't get morphine refilled, nation wide shortage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Mar 10, 2009.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi All, I tried to get my Morphine Rx filled today and was told they can no longer fill it due to nation wide shortages and no generics either. I said thats great , I have been on it probabely 7 years. She also said they are having shortages on oxycodone, ms contin and many other narcotics. I said now what, and the pharmacist said she had a few short acting morphine pills I could try. Its getting scarey , i mean what are all of us that are in chronic pain going to do?? Anyone else have this problem yet? I'm in Kansas. God Bless
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I feel so sorry for you. Will your doc give you something else? How long til they can fill? Contact your doc about safety from withdrawls.

Other people have been posting about meds. WhaT IS going on?
    I just filled Lortab today havent heard anything. Im in Ut.

good luck hope they can fill soon
  3. yucca133

yucca133 Member

I'm not trying to sound like a wiseguy, but did they shut down too many poppy producing operations in Afghanistan?

I wonder what the problem is?

I've been taking Opana ER - a manmade narcotic for a few years now and find it to be very effective, not as constipating as morphine and easy to obtain (although expensive). I am very fortunate that my insurance covers it. Dilaudid is another manmade medication that might work well for many people for moderate to severe pain. Hope these suggestions might help.
  4. mamacat

mamacat New Member

Ran across this post while lookin for info about GallBladder surgery/ERCP/Post Operative/Pains in Shoulders and arms with severe life threatening infection as well!!

In case anyone can directic me to info on that stuff . However in the meantime I wanted to add to this topic that here in Southern California we have begun to see this odd, supposed shortage of some of the meds my friend and I take so far it's effected our Oxycodone IR dosages that aren't available. Then when I got home I noticed my MS Contin 100mg pills that I usually take are totally different. They are a different manufacturer than usual and I must add that I don't like them as much either. I hadn't really questioned anyone IE: Pharmacist or Doctors about this as I thought it was just that "My" particular pharmacy which is a Specialized Chronic Pain Pharmacy and is small only 2 stores total and they are both local.
    So I had no idea this was something so widespread and now that I have seen your posts I will be keeping an eye on this thread and also will add anymore info I happen to get regarding this topic.
    I think it's really rather odd since the trend I've noticed is that if you actually are on Narcotic Pain Management you are an "Oddity" and during my recent hospital visit they treated me like a freak of nature because of my medication regime!! And without any of my treating Dr's, Nurses Etc. even thoroughly knowing anything about my health problems or the length of my battle with daily pain!! I was totally floored at some of the comments made by the staff members at this hospital, I thought they were extremely unprofessional and rude. Even though my last Surgical procedure and hospital stay was 22 years prior I was still surprised that things had changed so dramatically!
    Thanks for the very informative and interesting post I will definitely be checking back!
  5. pitoune

pitoune New Member

Good grief, what's next. I'm in Canada and we had a recall on MS Contin Morphine and Statex about 5 months ago and I got scared out of my mind cause I take both of them everyday. They did change them and they don't look quite the same anymore but they do the job, just a different companie I guess but the pill does appear smaller than the one I used to take (MS Contin 30 mg) and I take it twice a day, every 12 hours. I will be calling my pharmacist tomorrow and will let you know if the same thing is going on here in Canada. In the mean time, be careful with the whitdrawals, they can be nasty as you probably already know.

6. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

Thank you for the information. I'm in New York and haven't heard anything hear yet. Just filled a script for MS Contin 15 mg less than 2 weeks ago. I'll keep my ears open tho. I hope this isn't permanent! This is just crazy.