Can't Get Off of The Heating Pad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jan 12, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hi:
    It seems like everytime I get off of the heating pad, the pain starts again, especially in my neck, shoulders and back. I wrote yesterday about this flare I am in. The doctor gave me a prescription for the pharmacy: back to oxycodone. Truthfully, I still have pain, but he is letting me take it with my regular pain meds. He is only letting me take 3 of the oxycodone per day. So, I have enough for a month.

I can not wait to get in for my next appointment.
    It is always so reassuring to know I am in good care and just going in for the visit makes me feel better.
    I guess I appreciate a good doctor after all of the bad ones. I have had this one for about four years now.
    Good guy.

Just an update. I hope everyone is as pain-free as possible.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

I also sit with a heating pad on my low back most of the time. It helps the pain from my back (pinched nerve between L4-L5 & S-1) as well as my fibro.

I make sure I get up and move around at least once every half hour so that I don't get too stiff and ache even more.

Are you taking anything else for pain, other than narcotics? I find that Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Zanaflex also help my fibro pain a lot.

Hugs,
    Janet
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Between heat pad and a shiatsu massager machine-this seems to work quite well. I used to have, but lost in my move a wonderful thing called a Hydrocolator. This essentially, is a canvas square filled with kaolin clay that you biol up in a pot and then wrap in towels so the steam with the kaolin in it penetrates the back or wherever. It cost about $12 and lasted years. The steam heat seems to do better than the dry heat, as when I used that, the pain would go for a few hours. If anyone reads this and knows where I can still buy one, I'd love to know. I miss mine.(you store them in freezer when not in use and I left it in the freezer when I moved-hope the new owners didn't try to eat it!!!(LOL).
    Love Crom
  4. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

The fact is, is that when you are on the heating pad it feels so good! But in reality, it is making the swelling alot worse. In fact ice is better, I know, it does not feel half as good, but is actually better. My doctor has tried for years to get me off the heating pad, but I cannot, I try every now and then really hard. Good luck with your pain. cookie3 in New Orleans
  5. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

so I could post a picture of my back...heating pad addict is putting it lightly.

I have burned my back so many times from sleeping on/sitting on my heating pad that I look like a leapord...I have spots all over my back. Outside of meds (which don't always work) the heat is the only thing that helps enough so I can sleep and work (I have one I keep at work and one in the car too).

For Christmas my grandmother got me a electric heated throw and I have found that it does great for sleep. I always had a hard time getting the heating pad to "stay" where I wanted it as my lower back and hips are rather wide...the throw has helped that now I just wrap my body in it and I get heat to all the parts I need. So atleast for sleep (which is when I would burn myslef the most) I have been able to "kick the heating pad habit" hehe

I too find that as soon as I get off the pad my pain returns quickly...

And speaking of heating pads I also need a new one for work I've totally worn this one out...

Hugs
    Amy
  6. MsE

MsE New Member

I love my heating pad. Heat is the only thing, other than strong meds, that seems to ease the pain in my legs and back. Hot baths help, too.
  7. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

I also have the scars to prove it, the good thing is that if you slack off with the use of it, the scars will fade away. But, I just can't kick the use of my favorite two things, my heating pads, one for my upper neck and one for my lower back. I used to have a really large one that reached from those two spots, it was great until I burned it out. And yes, I have burned out the "high" setting on each one. Good luck.

[ advertisement ]