can't get on chit chat, so posting here (OT)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Jul 11, 2010.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

sorry this is OT but I cannot get on the chit chat board and I need to write about this bc even though, considering all the issues we deal with this should not be that big a deal, it is really bothering me....

I can no longer go anywhere to have my hair cut bc I am so sensitive to all the chemicals, and bc I am usually just too wiped out, sitting in the chair is painful, and I can't actually make an appt either bc I never know when I will feel well enough to get out at all

I would just let my hair grow - I like it long & it's easier to take care of bc I can just let it air dry, but since I have continued to lose so much hair, it looks really horrible long (there wind up being very obvious thin areas and even nearly bald spots)

so I have been keeping it short, which is a pain to get to lie down, and which gets in my eyes if I don't have bangs (but I also have cowlicks, so bangs can be disastrous)

anyway, I have been having to cut it myself bc of the issue I mentioned first, and I do not do well trying to cut it! I can't stand up long at all w/o passing out, my neck, back, shoulders, and knees hurt like crazy after a very short while of holding the mirror up to try to see and holding the scissors up to actually cut it, my vision and my fingers don't work well, the lighting in my apt stinks, etc......and the texture of my hair has changed a lot so it is really hard to figure out what I am doing or how it is going to wind up laying down after I wash it again

I wind up literally cutting for a few minutes and taking a break, cutting a few more minutes and taking another break, etc.....and then doing the same thing the next day until it is finished......interrupting so many times makes it hard to tell where I have left off, but it's the only way I can manage

by the time I am done, it is way shorter than I want & I hate it

then there is the fact that (& I know I have written about this before but it is also part of the hair thing that's getting to me), I have dandruff that I cannot get rid of (& never had prior to being sick)....and oddly I have a ton of static in my hair (I say oddly bc it never used to be a problem in the summer - how it's possible for my hair to be both frizzy-ish from the humidity and staticky at the same time I have no idea, but it is)

like I said, I know this stuff shouldn't be a big deal and I hardly ever see anyone anyway, but it is really, really getting to me....just kinda the last straw on top of all the other cr@p
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

too late for this time around (which is why I am upset - just went thru the whole hair cutting process again & not at all happy with the results, or with how hard it is to just accomplish a simple thing that most people take for granted....wish I could go back to the normal days of just making an appt and going somewhere to have it done....I miss my old hair dresser, too - she is a neat person);

however, I will definitely have to look into that for the future....thanks! : )
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Tammie - Look for a mobile hair service in your area. My niece trained to be a hairdresser and doesn't want to work in a salon so she started a mobile hair service. I've had someone come to my house for the past 25 years - long before I got CFS. They can take their time and do a good job on my hair, whereas when I go to a salon the owners usually want clients in and out of the chair in as quick a time as possible.

Let's be honest - for us women, hair is a big deal. When you don't think you look good, it makes you not feel good. Even if you are at home alone and aren't going to be seeing anyone you should still feel pretty.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just wanted to say thank you for the responses - crashing too badly to write more
  5. kitty39

kitty39 New Member

I am also reluctant to seek professional services like you're talking about. If you check out the salons in your area, you might find that some of them are not booked up like you think.And some of the operators may be glad t0 work with your particular situation on a walk-in basis especially on a low business day in the middle of the week.You might have to wait a few minutes (if they are with another client) but your wait will be minimal, and you might be able to just walk right in.Some may consider this an irrelevant topic, but I am one who believes that if you feel good about your hair and you put on a little make-up you can feel good all over!
  6. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Are you sensitive to just what they put in your hair or all the chemicals in the room? If it's just what they use on you and you feel okay enough to go, try bringing your own. My hairdresser was nice enough to keep trying so-called natural things on my hair but my bloodhound nose for chemicals could smell them even after I washed my hair a few times but now she will use what I bring.
  7. matieofleaves803

matieofleaves803 New Member

Aunt Tammie ~ I used to be a hairdresser (among other things!), and I always cut my own hair. It used to be easy.
    I still know how to cut it, but most of what you said is true for me, too.
    Now, I just do what I can, when I can. We have had a few hairdressers who come here (HUD housing), but I can't afford them. Low price for most, but...
    Maybe when you're up to it, you can call some nursing homes to see if they have traveling hairdressers. Also, Volunteers of America---always helpful.
  8. linda3273

linda3273 New Member

Boy I can sure relate to your situation. I used to be a hair dresser as well, can't do it any more because of the pain. I cut my own hair too. It is very difficult, as you said, I do it the same way. I cut some, then sit, cut more, then sit. Eventually I get it cut, but I am never happy about the back. I use a comb that has measurements on it. Before I cut, I try to be sure that I am not over directing a clump of hair and cut it by how long I want it, measuring it with the comb. If your hair is curly, don't stretch it out, rather pull it up tight and then allow the hair to relax about a 1/4 of an inch back to the scalp. If your hair is straight and thin, always cut it 1/2 in longer when wet than you really want it. When dry, straight thin hair shrinks.
    As for the dandruff, try Nizoral (buy at any drug type stores such as Walmart). Wash your hair first, leave the shampoo in to the last, then rinse. Use the Nizoral 3 times a week for a couple of weeks, then use it just twice a week to control the dandruff. Use a leave in conditioner such as Infusium 23 for the static. I know that salon products are expensive, so use products that used to be salon only such as Loreal. They are making a sulfate free shampoo with conditioner sold separately - it smells great and really does a terrific job. You could also try anti-frizz or gloss sprays available at the drug type stores. Not only will these product make your hair shine, they are good for the scalp. Even fine hair (my hair is very fine, and I use a gloss product every day) will benefit. Just practice using it to determine how much is the right amount for your hair. This will especially benefit curly hair types.
    Being in pain is not fun nor pretty, but when we look as bad as we feel, then everything is just awful!

Good luck to you,
  9. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i recently found the best hair product ever!!!!! (for me, that is). it wont help you cut your hair but it helps to style it- if you have problems with frizzies- too curly, etc. i have a whole huge post about it over on chit chat if you are interested.

its a heat up flat iron with comb tines in it- called the "miniglide" by maxuis. costs $30.00. worth every dang penny!!! i am sooo glad i bought it. (online or hsn) they have a larger version too called the maxiglide- costs more. check out the reviews on these items- most people go absolutely nuts over it - just like i am!

this thing makes my hair look soo sooo soo much better that it has inspired me to start wearing a little makeup again.!!!! i look like a whole new person. now if only i could loose this pesky spare 50 pounds! LOL :( then i'd be a hotmama2.

good luck ladies- and please read my post on chit chat for more info.

10. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

wow - lots of good responses....still too wiped to really address them individually, but I do appreciate the ideas

as to the suggestions that inc going to a salon at a time when less people are there, or using certain hair products (except the flat iron - that sounds interesting), I am extremely sensitive to all the fragranced chemicals (even most all natural fragrances)- and they stay in the air somewhat, so those ideas won't work....and I tried Nizoril (sp) and almost wound up calling 911 bc my reaction was so chemical sensitivities are so bad that the residue from others' laundry detergent has caused me to stop breathing (along with other bad effects) several times, even when I used vinegar and baking soda in my own wash and washed the clothes twice

and jam, thanks for your wishes for me re to has helped a tiny bit, but I found that it also built up in my body if I used it every day, so I now take 2.2 mg every third night.....that is as much as I can tolerate without the side effects getting too bad, but as low as I can go and still have any effect at all (it primarily helps me with lessening the pain a little)....sorry that it does not seem to be helping you