Can't keep up with medical problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by gb66, Jan 2, 2013.

1. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I am falling apart faster and faster every year. I have had nearly 20 medical appointments in the last year and a half and it's still going.

I can't seem to get anything "fixed". My teeth are decaying to the point of having to get them extracted even though I have x-rays done every year. By the time my next x-ray comes around, the tooth is a goner and it was okay the year before.

In the lat 2 years I've developed diabetes type 2, high cholesterol and low thyroid, had episodes with my vision that never were diagnosed even after extensive tests and eye tests. MRIs and all.

Had a small cyst on the brain that neurologist said not to worry about but I still do wonder about it. In addition, I already have had CFS/FM, MCS, IBS, and OA for over 30 years. Have had pelvic prolapse for 15 years.

I know all of us have physical problems, especially as we age ( I'm 72), but these things started and were very disabling at the age of 38. What in the world is wrong with me? Doctors have been NO help.

I can't be that different from all the other people can I? I feel like I'm just falling apart and no one can fix me. I'm not depressed (clinically) but I am getting very discouraged and feel like going to bed and never getting up again.

I had my tooth filled in Sept., it broke last week and I went in yesterday for a temporary filling, the dentist was out on vacation so the assistant put something on it to try and keep in together. It seems to be coming out a few hours later. Now I guess I'll go back next week and hope he can take out the old filling, refill and patch it up. Or I'll be going for another extraction. I just had one about 6 months ago.

I know there's nothing anyone can do to help but sometimes I just need to vent. I'm so wanting to give up. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2013]
  2. IanH

IanH Active Member

It does seem we are the only ones. I do think that the ME/CFS can worsen many health problems we get. I have had considerable spinal disintegration from the neck to low back, with a couple of operations. I believe these problems are partly the result of ME/CFS. However I have also become convinced now of the importance of high levels of vitamin d for prevention of many of these problems.

Since taking 5000IU daily of vitamin D3 I have not had any further problems with my spine and including tooth decay and bad breath. There is now significant evidence that low vitamin D levels are causing poor dental health. As important, if not more important than flouride. Are you taking vitamin D?

[This Message was Edited on 01/02/2013]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What I think is so discouraging about our illnesses is that, as time goes by, we seem to get more and more symptoms and/or other conditions. I think we have to fight each symptom or condition on as many fronts as it takes to keep them under control. This can take a lot of effort, time and money.

I know that dental problems seem to be one of the biggest concerns we deal with. My prayers go out to you that you can find answers.

Love, Mikie
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Ian is right about vitamin D3. Also, vitamin K2 is now found to be very important for dental and bone health, helps calcium get where it is supposed to and other things.

Have you seen an integrative medicine doctor? I hvae found that regular docs are basically helpless when dealing with CFS etc. An integrative medicine doctor can help you deal with low thyroid (which can cause high cholesterol) and a lot of your other problems.

An excellent resource for finding an IM doctor is acam.org - scroll over "health resources" near the top of the page and you'll find a link to find doctors in your area.

I don't think your situation is hopeless, though I know it can certainly feel that way. There are people I believe who can help you - good luck -

Mary
  5. jole

jole Member

My doc said the dental problems are mostly from the medications we take, so I guess we just deal with it. Seems everything with us is frustrating and expensive, isn't it?

Don't give up, you're certainly not alone, and we all care!
  6. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with your spine. I have something wrong with my spine, a narrowing of the disc in the lower part and OA also in the spine. I hope you can get some relief.

No, I don't take Vit. D but last year while in the hospital, one of the doctors said he'd check my vit. d levels. When I went back to my doctor and we reviewed the tests the vit. d wasn't one of them.

She said we'd do it next time but it was never done. I'm going back the end of this month so I'll bring it up again. GB66
  7. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I wonder if our bodies just run down because of all the pain and stress we have or if the CFS/FM actually causes other systems to go wrong.

I wish we had some definitive answers to these illnessess, or at the very least, competent medical help. I know some seem to have very good doctors but it seems as though a lot of us have had little help. Hope you're doing well. Thanks for your reply. GB66
  8. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. I looked at that website and the closest ones are in another state, 50 and 100 miles away. My insurance won't cover out of my state.

I'd love to have an integrative doctor. I may try an encrinologist since I have diabetes, cholesterol, and thyroid issues. Already seeing a podiatrist, gyn, g.p., dentist, neurologist, dental surgeon (on occasion), so I guess I'll add another one. GB66
  9. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I don't take any prescription medications except Tenormin for bp, but I am going to have to add thyroid and cholesterol meds. to it. I hope it doesn't make it even worse!

I do thank all of you on this board who care so much about others. It's a great comfort to me not to feel so alone in all of this. Sometimes I get so scared and overwhelmed. GB66
  10. gb66

gb66 Active Member

Thank you for your caring reply. I enjoy reading all your posts. I had a pretty good Thanksgiving and Christmas season so I did have a little reprieve from doctor appointments.

I think that's why I'm feeling so overwhelmed now. I had to put 3 appointments off till after the holidays and now I have all three looming over me. I don't know which way to go first. All are important. I had it all lined up till the tooth broke.

I have to be more flexible. It's just hard to do sometimes when you're so ill that each appointment is so difficult to get to. This too shall pass, right?
    I'm tired. Thirty four years is just too long to have CFS/FM and keep going. I need to renew my hope in having better health again some day. GB66
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That's too bad the IM doctors are in other states - it must be frustrating!

Something you might consider is switching to straight Medicare. I don't know what insurance plan you have, but if you have straight Medicare it doesn't matter where the doctors are or what state they are in. Many more doctors take straight Medicare than the Medicare advantage plans. I switched from a Medicare HMO 4 years ago or so because none of the doctors I really wanted to see would take the HMO. I know the sign-up time is past for this year, but you might keep this in mind for next year. It was really worth it to me to do this. I do have to pay an 80% copay for doctor visits, but it's worth it to me to see someone who actually knows what's going on.

Lots of us take thyroid meds with no problem and low thyroid can be part of why your cholesterol is high, so it sounds like it's a good thing that you're going to be taking thyroid meds. It would be good for you to read up on the advantages of Armour thyroid vs. synthroid, which most doctors hand out. You can google "stop the thyroid madness" for more info.

We have to educate ourselves, even with IM doctors. The doctors in general are so ill-informed about these illnesses - we really have to do our own research.

Take care - I know you have a lot going on, but I still have hope.

One more thing - I've been doing qigong exercises for about 35 days now. They're called Spring Forest qigong (you can look it up). Qigong can help with just about any physical problem, and the best part is it can be adapted to anyone's physical situation, even if you're bedridden. I found I had to do most of the exericses sitting down because I crashed after doing them standing up, but am doing 2 of them standing now. Anyways, one more thing that might help. We really need to go outside the box! (sometimes way outside I think)

Best wishes,

Mary
  12. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

every time we turn around. I'm 60 and feel like I am 432! I, too, am diabetic but with all the drugs they pumped into me about 10 years ago, I developed drug-induced hepatitis as well. And liver disease, and very low platelets. The doctor says I cannot have surgery of any kind because there aren't enough platelets in Alaska. So I would have to be transferred to the lower 48 (should I live long enough to make it to Seattle). With that cheerful news, my husband and I decided to move back down south. Not that that's a cure-all, but at least I'll be near a real hospital!

I know about the dental problems as well. I have a full upper denture now (which I HATE! Getting denture cream off the roof of your mouth is like trying to remove a cross between melted mozzarella and Crazy Glue!) and the dentist now wants to start on the lower teeth. Which I can only do one at a time, because I have to have a platelet infusion.

Sometimes it DOES seem easier to just say "***** it!" and give up. But then I think of all the people I love, and I just know how sad they would be if I did. It's always been ME who said "Don't let the B*** win!" That's what I get for being a stubborn Scot!

I have found more help from natural medicine than the "pharmaceutical reps" can give me. I DO take 10,000 U of Vit D daily and it helps (we get almost NO sunshine in the winter), grape seed (thanks, Jam!), Vit C, Omegas, and I just added krill (I LOOK like a Humpback Whale, might as well eat like one too! lol!). I am always open to suggestions and think keeping an open mind is a good thing. And do nice things for yourself too. You deserve it!

Soft hugs,

Stacey
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I can totally relate about your dental issues. I just got my bill paid off and now a tooth I've had issues with in the past is flaring up.
    Four years ago it was discovered a root canal went bad and I have a feeling the same thing is happening again. I'm tempted to just have the stupid tooth pulled out, but years ago I had a tooth pulled on the same side and also had my wisdom tooth removed too.

So, if I have the problem tooth removed I'm afraid it will cause me more issues with my jaw.

going to call my dentist on Monday and see if he can at least take a look at it.

Good luck to you.