Can't raise my arm at all, due to random bad shoulder pain. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happycfs, Jun 20, 2012.

1. happycfs

happycfs Member

Hello again friends,

I am housebound with ME/CFS, and I get a lot of random bouts of wondering pain. But for the past 3 or 4 days now, I have had terrible shoulder pain when I begin to raise my arm. My family keeps telling me that I just slept on it wrong. That could be, but it should be better after a few days! Right?

I have had some improvement, but not that much overall. I would think that if I had slept on it wrong, that my shoulder would have hurt in the morning when I woke. But it felt ok for the most part. I usually wake up in a lot of pain though.

It started hurting a couple of hours after waking (a few days ago) and it got worse and worse throughout the day. The next day, I could not even move my arm without terrible, burning hot pain. ..Now today, it is a bit better. But I am still concerned. Seeing a Dr is SO hard on my health!!!

Anyone have any thoughts? I would deeply appreciate your words of wisdom and similar stories..

Thank you very much!!!
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the latest. I agree. The discomfort from sleeping
    on it wrong goes away pretty quickly.

Have you ever seen a chiropractor? Some years ago my back went out
    while I was walking the dog. I collapsed. Couldn't even crawl home.
    Some neighbors took me home.

It was on July 4th, so I went to an emergency room. Saw an ortho who
    prescribed x rays and pain pills, but did nothing that really helped. The
    next day I saw a chiro and he fixed me up about 90%. Since then I've
    been going once a month. No more problems.

I know whatcha mean about the difficulty of seeing a doctor. Looks like
    it might come to that though. It does seem like there should be some
    limit on the number of medical problems a person can have at one time.

Do you take glucosamine or any supplements for joint health?
    Good luck

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Your symptoms sound similar to what my sister is going through with a frozen shoulder. Hers seemed to happen after she had surgery on her ulnar nerve in her arm and it was in sling for several weeks, immoble, and the doctor never ordered PT, which he should have.

She may now have rotator cuff damage and scar tissue, they're doing an MRI for that.

Anyways, things that have helped her are ice (no heat, which can cause more inflammation) and magnesium oil. And she had some PT finally, I think after it was too late.

So much as you hate to go to the doctor, I think it would be a good idea to go to find what exercises if any you should be doing, because I think if nothing is done it will just get worse. Do try the ice and mag oil too.

4. SherylS

SherylS Member

For me it usually means I have pinched something. I go to my chiropractor and that usually helps a lot.