can't relax, can't do relaxation or meditation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by davebhoy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

if i truly relax or if i do relaxation for any lenght of time it gives me a relapse. likewise if i do meditation it gives me a relapse.

does anyone have any hints on what might help?
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Wish I could help but mainly wanted to give you a bump back to page one.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2005]
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

I believe the best way of dealing with this is to accept the traditional concepts of meditation and relaxation are not suitable for you atm. On another board reports back on tests for brain wave patterns showed varying results, and quite a few reported meditation made them worse. It may well be your are aiming for the wrong brain wave patterns through meditation.

Dr Tietelbaum recommends qigong, and I find some very gentle tai chi works well for me. They work through slow flowing movement and focussing, the results can be more energy but a sense of calm.

love, Tansy

4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You don't need a fancy routine, just anytime you remember to catch yourself. I try to esp. remember when I am eating and when I'm getting a bad flare, or a hint of bloating or indigestion. Checks it more often than not, you'd be surprised.

Jeanne
  5. turquoise

turquoise Member

I have a high anxiety level, and have never been able to get into traditional meditation either. It just makes me more uptight because I keep thinking about trying to DO it, and that I'm not getting there.

What does work for me (and for others) is activity such as knitting, crocheting, doing puzzles, listening to the right music or even watching TV at times. Anything that involves repetitive activity or causes you to intensely focus on something produces a similar result without your having to think about it.
  6. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

Hi Dave,

there is a book - just one page, especially - that REALLY helps me with relaxation and breathing ... the book is Present Moment Wonderful Moment, by Thich Nhat Hanh ......

..... and the particular meditation practice which I find SO, SO helpful (on pg. 32) is called "Following The Breath". I'll try to summarize/simplify it - it's like a mantra, or repeated phrase, that helps keep the mind calm - while breathing ...

So, it's four short phrases, meant to be thought (or "spoken silently to yourself"), the first one on your inhalation, the 2nd one as you exhale, the 3rd as you inhale again, and the 4th as you exhale (then repeat, repeat, repeat - and you might just find that you are suddenly 'in tune', relaxed, calm, etc. )

1. (while inhaling) Breathing in, I calm my body.
    2. (exhaling) Breathing out, I smile (try to smile, even if it's 'forced')
    3. (inhaling) The present moment,
    4. (exhaling) Is a wonderful moment!

then repeat it for as long as it feels good - of course, it's easiest if you can try it WHEN/IF you happen to have a bit of peace/calm/privacy/comfort, etc. to begin with ... seems more meaningful ..

if it happens to work - hang onto it, memorize it, and use it All The Time, if necessary ...... it sure works for me (maybe 'cause it's short and simple - I wish you luck, Dave!
  7. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

thanks for all your advice

i think the problem is that i am scared to feel relaxed - i am worried that when i do then things will go wrong, that i wont be able to cope, that it will give me a relpase.

its like when i feel tired - which is what relaxing feels like to me. when i get tired or feel myself relaxing i feel like its a relapse coming on, so i tense up and cant relax and the harder i try the hardedr it gets and i get myself into a right old state.

its a hard cycle to break, being anxious about being relaxed.
  8. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

thanks eveyone here for all your help.

this really is a brilliant resource full of very good people.

i thank you again