Can't Shower After Surgery,How Do I Keep My Hair Clean?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lumare41, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Lumare41

Lumare41 New Member

I am having spinal surgery next week.And won't be able to shower for 6 days after I come home.I can't use the sink because I will have a brace and not allowed to bend.My hair can get pretty nasty after a day because it is the oily type.I need suggestions please on how to keep it clean.

when I was a teen they used to have this spray in a can stuff.
    Anyone know anything that might work?

Thanks Luann
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Use baking soda. It's safe and doesn't have the harmful chemicals that other stuff does. Sprinkle it on your scalp and comb or brush it through. It helps with the oils which makes our hair seem dirty. I, personally wouldn't put baby powder on anyone, especially a baby.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

that spray shampoo contained baking soda and corn starch. You can brush w/ one or both. Will you be able to do that?
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

They make a cap that you put on your head and scrub, no rinsing required.

They used them at the hospital when my mother was in ICU for 2 weeks. There is also a bottle of something similar but can't recall the name but the med supply store should be able to help you-Carla
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I'm thinking you will probably be able to get your hair washed at a salon quicker than you will at home as it doesn't require you to bend the way you would need to in your own sink.

Maybe after you try these other solutions and have had a few days of recovery you could try that.

Linda
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

WHen my girlfriend was in ICU for 2 weeks, I bought her a can of "Pssssst" (I believe it was called that)

Be careful though, they may not let you use it if oxygen is in use
  7. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Luann,

This might not be an option for you but if you have somewhat long hair (shoulder length), have you thought about having it braided? I can't remember what they call it but it's the tight small braids from the scalp (I call it reggae braids). You can go a couple of weeks without having to wash your hair at all. My niece had them put in while in Cancun and they were really cute and lasted a long time.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Pam
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My husband ordered it from Walmart at the pharmacy, but it isn't what I wanted. I wanted a dry, spray on to use in between shampoos.

This is made by No Rinse Labs. It is a liquid and you put it in your hair and massage into a lather, then you towel dry. Then you are supposed to style your hair as usual. I would think you would need to blow dry it too.

Well I kept it and if I ever have to go to the hospital or can't wash my hair, I guess this would be the way to go.

We can't find any good dry type shampoos. I use talc on my hair for an extra day as my hair is oily and I don't like to wash it but every 4 days.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

as a hairstylist, I would recommend sprinkling some baby powder on your scalp at bed time and the brush through in the morning.
    Depending on the type of shampoo chair they have at your salon, you'd still have to bend your head back. That might not work if you are in a back brace.

I know a Salon product by Sebastian cares a spray time product for inbetween shampooing. Haven't ever tried it, and I cant remember the name of it, just who makes it. Hope that helps a bit.

Raz
  10. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

All pharmacies can order that for you. Most of the "stand alone" pharmcies/drug stores, carry it. (The "old fashioned" drug stores.) Also Medical Supply stores carry it most times, or can order it too. They can have it in a couple of days for you. When my Grammie took a fall 5 years ago, I bought a couple of bottles for my Aunt to use on my Grammie. There is also "Shower In A Bottle" or something like that that I bought for my Aunt to use. It's a "no rinse" soap product in place of showers, again found in the "stand alone" drug stores. There are also "throw away" towels that they pass out in some hospitals, and you can buy them in most drug stores, and even WalMart, etc., in the section where they have the Depends.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that have very dry hair, so the five times I have spinal surgery it was no big deal to go 6 to 9 days w/out a shower.

The "PSSSSSST" Spray works but I haven't seen it since the 80's... is it still around?

Good luck with your surgeries. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    calishygirl
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]
  11. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

internet at medical sites. For heaven's sakes, they have it for dogs - surely they have it for us.

I think the canned stuff was called Pssst or something silly like that.
  12. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

drugstore.com I hope it's okay to post that site. It's only a little over $5.00. I also read about some Bumble and Bumble stuff but it was $20.00 for just a couple ounces of powder.

When my Grandma was bedridden, I bought Dove facial cleansing cloths to keep her face nice and clean and moist and some other kind for her body between the times the nurse gave her the big sponge bath.

Good luck with your surgery. I'll add you to my prayer list.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2006]
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

to be washed but needs a freshening I take a very hot semi wet washcloth and with one finger or two I go over all the roots, especially around the face and neck and ear areas, rinsing often. I don't get the main part of the hair wet. It really gives it a day or two more of life and the scalp feels much better.
  14. lois1023

lois1023 New Member

The spray shampoo was called Pssst. You can still buy it from Vermont Country Store. Just google them and you will find their web site. They will send you a catalog if you want.

They have all kinds of stuff that you can't buy in stores any longer. Vermont Country Store has been around for years and has an excellant reputation.

LOIS
  15. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I had my surgery in November of 05 and believe me, you wont be worrying about your hair! You'll be too busy trying to ease the pain. My sister bought a can of that PSSSSt to the hospital and combed my hair. It worked okay but by the time you are in your bed and everything your hair gets tangled..Make sure you have a soft brush. I put my hair up in a bun and left it like that and I survived with it like that..You can email me if you need any support or advice...good luck...L
    [email address removed as per rules]
  16. twitcher

twitcher New Member

my cervical spinal last year. I had a hard cervical collar on for a few weeks. I couldn't stand the dirty hair so the day after sugery I took a bath and my husband washed my hair and rinsed it with a pitcher while i sat still. (I did take the collar off for this). I covered my neck incision so it wouldn't get wet. It wasn't easy but the oily hair was awful.

Good luck!

Twitcher
  17. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

check with your local drug store or meical supply store for waterless shampoos. tey are used in hospitals all the time and should work pretty well for you if it's only 6 days.
    rachel
  18. Lumare41

Lumare41 New Member

I also had cervical fusion surgery 2 years ago,and my hair drove me nuts!!I went last week and cut it to my neck.It was halfway down my back.It has nice layers so hopefully it won't be as bad.
    I will definitely look into the cap suggestion.I can't believe you actually found PSSSSST!I remember doing that in the morning before school if I got up to late.A long time ago!!!

Thank You ,please keep me in your prayers.I am very nervous about this surgery.
    Luann
  19. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and your family on the 20th. I read one of your other posts, and it said you have 11 yr. old twins...so do I! Mine are boys- what do you have? I also have 3 older kids, 2 in their 20's and my son, who is 19 and has CFIDS. But he's able to go to college, so he is slowly getting better. Take care and I hope your surgery is successful! Terri
  20. CarolynAnne

CarolynAnne New Member

Hi. I want to let you know that you are not alone. I too have had this challenge with long hospital stays. My hair is long and you can only keep it in a ponytail for so long.

The hospitals that I have been too have showercap like shampoo products that do not require rinsing. The product worked so well that I bought them for my 94 year old aunt who swears by them. She is independent, and likes go-arounds for things she finds hard to do.

The cap is all encompassing. I looks like a shower cap - but the stuff inside magically cleans your hair when you massage the cap against your scalp. Your hair actually gets wet and smells great - all the "yuck" comes out. You can also run a brush through your hair - no problem. Plus you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, just remember its ok to rely on others.

I know that it is called Sage Comfort Rinse Free Shower Cap. When you go for your pre-op test, I would ask the nurse if they have any that you may take home to be prepared for after your surgery. The worse they can say is no.