Can't sleep 99 % of time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 27, 2008.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Ok here it is almost 2:30 am and I am here online and posting. I have been having bad leg aches for the past few weeks. But this not sleeping is some thing that happens every night.

I can't sleep for many reasons, pain, too tired, had a nap in the afternoon, not comfortable, achey, anxious, worried, stressed out. And many more reasons. If I can't be alseep before 1 am then I know I will be up most of the night. I won't wake up till noon today and will be sleepy all day long, wanting to just doze all day long. I can't do that as I have things to do, I have a house to clean up , take care of my Mom {driving her to town, doctors ect} and life in general. I have so much that I want to do but because I am not sleeping at night I finds my self dozing off during the day time.

I know that I need a new bed as I have a medium baffled waterbed, I would love to get a new bed like the intellibed, but who can afford over $4,000 for a new bed. Not me. I have been to the store and laid on the bed and I was so relaxed that I could have slept a week. but the darn thing is so spendy that I am sticking to what I own already. Our waterbed has aa temperpedic mattress pad 3in on the top and I have rested more since I put it on and the smell went away.

I am so sick of aching legs, headaches, knee pain and just plain not feeling great. I am so sick of being sick but no one really knows that there is any thing really wrong with me.
    Well I am going to try to sleep now. Wish me luck
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Have you tried using any sleep meds. Sometimes we with the sleep problems need them to get us off to sleep or keep us asleep. You may want to talk to your doc about it.

I sleep much better since I started Halcion. It took a very long time to find a sleed aid that would work for me but we did finally.

DRAGONSGIRL New Member

Rosemarie have you been spying on me? I could have

written this one!!! Except I have a good mattress.

LOL And I DO take sleeping pills.

To no avail. Haven't had more than two 15 minute naps

in 2 days! Par for the course. Maybe tonight's the night

for sweet, sweet dreams.

If you find something that helps PLEASE let me know!
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have a good book for you to read. It is called "Insomniac" by Gayle Green. It is one of the best books out there. She is a 65 yr. old college professor who has had insomnia since she was a baby. She has flown all over the world to research sleep. It is very comprehensive and I can't recommend it enough.

We all suffer from insomnia it seems. I myself have to take meds to get me to that deep sleep. I sleep well now but I never know when my RLS will kick in to wake me up. Even though I sleep well, it hasn't improved my fibro.

You sound really wore out and I feel for you. I hope you find something to help you sleep. P
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Rosemarie!

I had a good day yesterday. I was sure I would sleep like a baby last night. Nope. I was up every hour. I get frustrated lying there so I get up. With ever hour that passed I thought, "Is it too late to take an Ambian?" I never did take it and never got more than an hour sleep at a time.

I also had a numbing sensation in my legs. That was the prelude to the aches. You never know when they are coming... even in the middle of the night.

Hope you are resting now.

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Have you had a sleep study. As the other poster's said, lack of sleep worsens our pain, which does not help our sleep until it is a vicious circle. I have RLS and lack of deep sleep.

Last November, my sister bought me a new bed. It is firm underneath with a pillow top. It is made for people who have back problems.

I am sure I can not tell you the name of the place but they are a national chain and make their own mattresses. I was able to get a wonderfully comfortable bed for $700.

It was worth it and has really helped with waking up at night in pain where my body is touching the mattress. I had also gone to stores and tried mattresses three times as expensive and were not as comfortable.

I have a friend with Fibro. who got a very expensive bed and now regrets it. However, like everything else, what works for one person, does not for others.

If my sister had not paid for the mattress, my xmas present, I would not have been able to afford it. Wouldn't it be nice if doctor's could write us a script for a comfortable bed?

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]
  7. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

Sleep disruptions are my biggest source of annoyance and since I'm working on another degree and working full-time, I need to get my rest. My doctor gave me Amitriptyline last semester to help me get to sleep and to help control migraines and it works wonders.

I take one about an hour before bed and within 30 to 45 minutes, I'm ready to have my hubby tuck me in and I'm off to dreamland.

It might be worth it to ask your doctor about it. It also helps with the pain just a bit. Not enough to be a miracle, but I think getting good, sound sleep is one way to combat pain.
  8. Craftygmaof8

Craftygmaof8 New Member

It is encouraging/discouraging to find that so many with FM suffer from being unable to sleep.

I currently take Ambien CR, Tramadol, Percocet, and Gabapentin about an hour before going to bed. However, I still do not get the amount of sleep I am supposed to have.

Several days a week, I have to be out of bed by 6:30 a.m. to go to various commitments. On the 3 days that I can sleep, I am usually up by 7. My husband can't understand why I have to go to bed at 9 p.m. Of course, he doesn't have any trouble falling asleep at any time of the day!

With all the medications I take to help me sleep, if I don't get the number of hours that I need, I have more fibro fog than usual. Doing ordinary things that should be rote, require a lot of concentration.

I have a Tempur-Pedic bed (which is absolutely wonderful!), so bedding is not the cause of mu sleep problem.

In less than a month, I have to take care of my single-parent daughter and her two sons after she has her hip replaced. I really need to find a solution to this sleep problem (if there is one out there) before that time.

I fear that my daughter is following in my footsteps. Her hip is being replaced while in her forties, and her knee is soon to follow. For a long time, I thought that my FM pain was just another indication of a joint needing to be replaced. However, with both knees, thumbs & one shoulder being replaced, my neck being fused, and a laminectomy in the lumbar region of my back, I didn't think there was much else to replace/work on. Except, that all the joints in one foot have to be fused in the near future.

I will be working down the list of suggestions, and see if any of them work for me.

Again, thanks and good luck.
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

thanks for all the suggestions to get some good sleep.

dragon06 I have tried ambien but woke up still in the middle of night. Doctor has rxed ambiencr but I am chicken to try it. I was given a sample of Lunesta but I am one who has the strange , weird reactions to meds.

Dragons girl: I didn't know just how many of us can't sleep. I am still waiting for a good matterss but I am going to have to get rich to afford the one I want. The temperidic regance? is over $3,000 intellibed is just over $4,000. have to wait for money. HA HA

mujuer: I will be reading that book you suggested as I am willing ot try any thing at least once

Jeerie: I am already on xanax for the past 18 yrs. started panic attacks at age 34 after hyster. my does has changed a bit from .5mg 2x daily to 2 mg at bed time . It took several years to get the med changed

Wendysj:I wil fall alseep adn think i am going to sleep all night but then I wake up for a pit stop and poof I am wide awake I hate that.

Dragonturtle: Not tried melation as of yet. Don't want to voer do on meds reactions. Mscontin, xanax, vit D, MSIR, vistreil,soma

gapsych: No sleep study as of yet too costly, had blood work done that has cost me over $200.00 so the study has to wait.
    Not morning person, I sleep till noon or later so it is hard to get in bed eariler in the evening.
    thanks for every thing you all have suggested. Bless you.
    Still having leg aches that start at my thighs and go thru down to my calves straight into the bone. It bites

10. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I have slept better since the doctor increased my dose of Lyrica to 300 mg. I still wake up some but nothing like I used to do.

Also if you are a caffine drinker, as much as I hate to admit it, if you cut out the caffine you would be surprized how much better you will sleep. It took me about a month but I did that at one time and slept much better. Can't say I am doing it now but I do know it worked for me.
  11. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have not drank any caffine for over 3 years now. I stopped after I had my gall bladder removed. Since I could not drink any thing fizzy I just stopped. A few months later it dawned upon me that I had not had a diet coke in ages months so I went out and bought one. It did n't taste the same, it was not as good as before . So I stopped tring to like them again.
    I rarely have a diet coke now so I know that it is not the reason , cause for my lack of sleep.

I don't know why I have issues with sleeping but I do.
    Well off to rest a bit and then back to cleaning. Have Daughter , SIL and 2 grandkids comming in just under 2 weeks and my house is not cleaned up .

Thanks for your posts.
  12. Belinha

Belinha New Member

Ahhh the blissfulness of being simple minded.
    Category: Life

simple mind Not to offend anyone with that phrase but more to emphasize on the mind of the forever worrier, the insomniac, the super intelligent, the what I call myself "having the sponge syndrome". Just like those little flattened out sponges, all I need is a tiny drop and expand and absorb and thirst for more knowledge about everything. I can’t just focus on one and go on, oh no! That would just be to simple and too much to wish for, for me. I am constantly thinking on how things came to be what they are, and if one thought enters my mind there thousands behind questioning its being there. I watch my husband as he falls asleep not being able to understand how he can do that and blissfully say goodnight life, while I know he has a lot on his mind. He tells me that’s his time to sleep and that’s what he does with it. Meanwhile, I get up fifty times (yes I have tried all the sleeping pills in the world, meditation, yoga, mental visions of peace and beautiful things) nothing works. I am a worrier, a thinker, a creator, an inventor of reasons for why I can’t fall asleep. If I am lucky enough to fall asleep then I have very vivid dreams or nightmares that seem to last all night. So, I still wake up exhausted and wondering why? How I wich I could close my eyes and command my mind to go into blissful simple dreamless sleep. How I wish I could start one thing focus on it and not go on to something else ( I think that’s called multitasking and I do that a lot). How I wish sometimes I could be of simple mind and just be content with what is instead of what if?

Thanks for reading. Belinha

PS Sounds crazy doesn't it?
  13. hensue

hensue New Member

This is hensue i know the more active i am during the day especially after lunch. it makes a difference in how well or if i sleep. If i overdo i do not sleep and if i dont do enough i do not sleep. Everyone in my family does not sleep.
    I think it is a genetic curse. Our bodies and mind just dont want to give it up. Now i take valuim and klonopin together.
    Mind you if i overdo or something really stresses me i dont sleep. I have to wear earplugs. Poor husband sleeps in another room. Total quiet except the hum of the air conditioner. If it
    is to quiet cant sleep. Everyone has a box fan in my family for the noise. Except me. i am very sensitive to drugs. That is why i go to a pain clinic. Allergic to demerol, almost died
    codeine and many other things.
    Give it a whirl. you sound like me though those leg aches are bad. I think to i dont get sleepy until one or 2 in the morning. i would if i could sleep to lunch. Since i quit work in Sept. of last year. i told my husband today i took a nap not on purpose fell asleep about 6:30 pm. Woke up like i was drugged and went back to sleep. That has never happen in my life. Since i have quit work as you can see i dont have all the stress. I also stop the stress from outside world.
    When i want to talk i talk. Which i am good at cant you tell?
    If i dont feel like it unless it is children with em or husband wants to talk i dont.
    I have started walking the dog and wondering how to change all this. The stress is the first thing. of course we cant get rid of all the stress but i am doing a good job right now. After 30 years of getting up at 5 and falling in the bed.
    Anyway i am rambling my mother also took halcion she slept.
    I do not have the drug out feeling with klonopin and valuim.
  14. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

The lack of sleep does strange things to our minds. For me I just thought that it was me that suffered with leg aches at nights , a mind that would not shut off or shut up,I don't like the sleeping meds as they cause me to dream /nightterrors that are in vivid colors and details. So real that I have to fight to wake my self up. It is like I have some thing holding me in the realm of sleep and is stopping me from waking up when I am terrifed.
    I hate it.
    Thanks for all the idea's you have given me.
    Big ~HUGS~ to all
  15. I also have a terrible time sleeping. If I fall asleep I wake up less than two hrs. Or I have to pee 2 times a night. (going to ask urologist about that one) I do find if I read at night until I am tired it helps. Last night for the first time I slept until 4 am! That was not the usual. My back/hip pain is usually what wakes me up.

I do have ambien and take it occasionally, but my husband says he tries to move my arm and I am like a wet noodle, so THAT scares me. Or what if we have a fire KNOCK WOOD, or some emergency and I am out of it?
  16. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am so tired today I can't get up and do any thing. I really need to get my house picked up before my daughter & her family arrives in a about 12 days.

I am on strong pain meds, Mscontin, MSIR , soma ,xanax, and vitimans. I have to watch what I take. I am one of those people who get strange reactions to medications. I get all the ususal ones that your told about and I also get side effects or reactions that no one has ever heard of.

I can't try the Lyrica for that reason, I would be the person that would have the strangest reaction to it.
    I wish taht I could take some of the meds I have heard that have helped others but I can't handle the weird side effects I get with the meds.So I stick to what I know helps it may not always work as wel as I would like it too but I know that I will get some relief from it.
    Thanks to all who have written about this subject. I am so amazed at your thoughtfullness and kindness. HUGS TO ALL