can't sleep at all/ any suggestions anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aitsallaboutyou, Feb 24, 2003.

1. aitsallaboutyou

aitsallaboutyou New Member

Hello to all,

I have not been able to sleep for about a week. I am only getting about 1or2 hours a night. I am taking doxepin and some muscle relaxers pain meds when needed. I am feelin pretty bad right now. Exhausted""""""""

I have cut out all caf/ no tea or coffee. Still can't sleep my legs and arms are also twitching.
    I was hoping that some one dealing with this may have found something that works. Let me know
    God Bless All
    Andy
  2. j9miller

j9miller New Member

I too only get 1-2 hours a day of "interuppted" sleep. I NEVER get sleep at night like most of the world but I doze on and off during the day. I wish I had an answer for you but NOTHING has worked for me.

Janine
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

an hour before a normal bed time. It
    sometimes works, other times I'm up
    until 2 or so a.m...but when I do finally go it does help me get to sleep and stay asleep. I've had problems with sleep since I was born
    and nothing ever worked for me until
    the Trazadone. Right now I take 150mgs but that is a low dose. For
    use as an antidepressant some people
    take as much as 600 mgs.my RN cousin
    tells me. I hope you find something that works well for you! Hugs, Bambi
  4. nightsky

nightsky New Member

This used to annoy me to no end. I'm new to this thing at least new to it having a name. Once I realized what it was I heard of a treatment for FM that has helped me. There is a lady naturopath who comes to our area who wrote her thesis on FM. I wish I could afford to see her...someday anyway...

I have a friend who does and she is on 5-HTP quite a large dosage. I haven't dared to take that much since it has some questionable side effects (ie. nightmare) in some people. This is a natural treatment and something worth looking into. It has to be taken along with B6 but don't take the B6 at bedtime or you'll be up all night. I take 200mg of B6 during the day (usually lunch time) and find that even 50mg of 5-HTP at bedtime gives me a better sleep.

My friend takes 200 a day I don't dare to try that yet but lately I have been taking 100mg at bedtime. Anyone else use this. I researched it before I tried it and I am also not on any prescription drugs for FM--not sure about interaction with other drugs. I haven't had any side effects at this dosage although I was on a higher dose initially and had very weird dreams. I reduced the dosage and am fine.

It also helps to elevate mood. This can be a very depressing illness. I do better in that respect as well. As I understand it, it helps your body produce more seritonin as opposed to Prozac etc which just makes the seritonin in your body circulate longer. I've heard horror stories about the side effects of antidepresants. So far 5-HTP has worked well for various conditions including FM. Hope this helps. Let me know what you find out.
    nightsky
  5. aryiella

aryiella New Member

5-HTP - went up to 600mg before bed - did nothing for me.
    Melatonin - went up to 9mg before bed - did nothing for me.
    Inositol - 650-1300 mg before bed - did nothing for me.
    Valerian Root - 2-5g before bed - did nothing for me.

I've even taken all four of these together, and still nothing. Needless to say, I finally have an appt today at Univ. of Pittsburgh Sleep Clinic. I'm hoping they can give me some prescriptions.

I was going to try GABA too, but I read somewhere that it doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier, and thus would be of really no benefit.

Holly
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2003]
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

it will give you at least three good sleeps per week. I can not take it everynight. Took it sun night. slept great. took it mon night and mind was racing. So I will not waste the tiny expensive pill for everynigt use. I am also on elevil.
  7. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi
    my doc has me on AMBIEN. it works. when i don't take it, i don't sleep for more than a few hours. give it a try. you just have to get some sleep.

have you tried over-the-counter MELATONIN? You can find it in the health food section.

Good luck,

paul

8. seaview

seaview New Member

I am so sorry to hear of your trouble with sleep. I still battle it but I use the store brand(at longs they call it sleep aid 50 mg.per tab) of benadryl. It has just the dipheN(or however you spell it)ingredient in it. I pay $5.5o for a bottle of a hundred. My doctor tried several sleep pills but nothing helped. I take 200 mg each nite by 6 or so and usually I am asleep by 11 or so. I was using ZMA ( which is sold by Pro Health) and I found it helped as do MANY others on this board.You will probably be told about it by someone else. I had to quit using it when I started the guai protocol because it has an ingredient that blocks guai. Klonipin for the racing brain also works. Alot of people also use that here. I still have my all niters when I cant sleep but this has worked for me most of the time.
    Blessings to you on your search for what works for you...Kathleen
  9. TinysMom

TinysMom New Member

HI, I HAD YOUR SAME PROBLEM--NO SLEEP, OR AT BEST 1 TO 2 HOURS AT A TIME, WITH LOTS OF 'UP' TIME. MY DR. FINALLY GAVE ME EFFEXOR, IT IS AN ANTI-DEPRESSANT, AND I TAKE THAT BEFORE BED WITH ONE MELATONIN, A NATURAL SLEEP AID. AFTER ABOUT 3 WEEKS I NOTICED MY JUMPY LEGS WERE MUCH LESS ACTIVE, ALTHOUGHT I DO HAVE ENTIRE BODY JUMPS OCCASIONALLY. BUT OVER ALL, THOSE ARE MUCH BETTER. MY SLEEP IS NOW 2 TO 2 1/2 HOURS AT A TIME, WITH LOTS LESS 'UP' TIME. UNFORTUNATELY I AM STILL NOT GETTING THE DEEP, RESORATIVE SLEEP I SHOULD BE GETTING, BUT I DO FEEL MUCH BETTER. I WAS LITERALLY A WALKING ZOMBIE BEFORE THESE MEDS. MY EMOTIONS WERE AS RAW AS THEY HAVE EVER BEEN IN MY LIFE, I HAD NO PATIENCE, NO ENERGY, I WAS A MESS!!! ANYWAY, IT ISN'T THE TOTAL ANSWER, BUT IT SURE IS A START.
    I HOPE THEY WILL WORK FOR YOU. OH, WHEN I STARTED TAKING THE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS, FOR THE 1ST COUPLE OF WEEKS, I WOULD WAKE UP AFTER ABOUT 2 HOURS, AND FEEL LIKE MY INSIDES WERE RUNNING A RACE, I WAS REALLY NERVOUS, BUT ONLY INSIDE, LIKE MY GUT. IT WENT AWAY THO'.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU, AND PLEASE POST IF IT WORKS. I READ EVERY DAY. TINYSMOM