Can't sleep. Driving me crazy and getting very stressed.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Aug 22, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

I'm not sleeping again. I take tylenol pm every night,and I know it's not that good for me,don't know what else to take. Guess I'm gonna have to ask dr for something. I've been going back and forth with the depression. Just stressed and worried about everything I guess. Mom always saying something smart like,I don't know how you can stand to stay home all the time it would drive me crazy,or why don't you just go somewhere. Yesterday she said,you're always telling me to fight what I have and I fight it every day-she still thinks she has CF,she don't,she goes almost 24hrs.a day. I've tried to explain what CF and FM is to her and told her she doesn't have CF but she don't want to hear it.

Told her like I have before,I do fight it,fought it for 8yrs while I was working. The last 3yrs took everything I had to just get dressed and get there. Then always sick on my days off. Said to her once again you just don't want to learn about it. I have to just shutup about it cause we'd get in a big fight,don't need that right now. Told her I was going home and going to bed cause I had to be at the unemployment office out of town at 10:00 that day and the night before couldn't sleep so I was exhausted. Just about to get in bed when she called and was asking me about another subject,tell ya that later, and when I answered her she started in again. Then I was upset and couldn't go to sleep after only sleeping 2 hrs the night before. I didn't get to sleep till after 11:00pm after taking a xanax.

Darn I don't know what to do with her. She knows I'm worried about keeping my house,working,going to school,filing for SSD,what I'm gonna be able to do. And believe me she don't offer to help either. I'm sorry it's so long. Guess I just needed to get it off my mind.

What are you guys doing to help you sleep and with your stress? Thanks for listening.Keke
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

amount I take would put a normal person in a coma. Oh well, I still can't sleep through the night but I can get to sleep. Your doc may want to do a sleep test on you and try out different meds. It may take a while to get the right combo. Just stick with it - it will be worth it.
  3. mrsED

mrsED New Member

Hi Keke,

I just read your bio. We have a lot in common I think. I am a bit older than you but I know what you mean about pushing yourself for so many years until you simply could not work another day.

I am also a CMA and before that was a Home Health aid.
    I worked in the medical field for over 25 years and most of those years I was struggling with horrible pain, depression, migraines, chronic fatigue, and insomnia. I didn't know what I had at the time, but I knew I was different than the average person. I was diagnosed about 8 years ago, stopped working 3 years ago.

I don't think their is a more demanding, stressful, physically and emotionally draining profession than healthcare. We're on our feet most of the day. Often we don't even get our breaks. Sound familiar?

Anyway, as to your question about not sleeping. It took me years find the right combination for me, but now I take Lyrica and ambien. I've taken Ambien for years and it didn't always help, but now with the Lyrica, I'm sleeping much better.

I also see that you just quit working in June. When I quit work, I was relieved, but depressed. I cried a lot and felt useless. I loved working as a CMA. I couldn't understand why God would allow this to happen.

Little by little, I've accepted my illness and am living my life one day at a time, trying each day to do something for someone else, even if it's just calling someone or trying to offer some kindness to another person, remembering that I'm not the only one going through struggles.

Now I'm going on and on.

Please don't wait to get the help you need for your sleep.
    It is better for us to take sleep meds than to go without sleep night after night, which is what i did in the past.

One last thing is that I've learned that people really can't understand this unless they experience it. I tried and tried to get people to read about it and listen to me, but most people don't get it. Since I've accepted that, I have more peace of mind.

Hope you find the help you need.
    MrsEd

4. misskoji

misskoji Member

I can totally relate. I've often tried to educate others about what I actually have. Almost all of them have just changed the subject or just plain don't believe me.

It's horrible to wish the DD on anyone else, but sometimes I really wish I could change bodies with them for a bit. I think that's the only way they would comprehend.

I have "weeded out", for the most part, the people that don't believe or support me. I know not all of them can understand, but some are just so bluntly hurtfull! I have a similar situation with my mother. She doesn't think she has CFS, but she really doesn't want to know about it either. It's so hard when we have to give up our old lifestyles for us, and also hard for others to comprehend why we have had to.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a hey, I hear ya', and hope things get easier!

Hugs,
    Deanna