Can't Sleep OR Don't Want To Sleep???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Mar 25, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I DO have sleeping problems, but....I just do NOT want to go to sleep at night because I do NOT want to face the pain of getting up the next morning, IF I could sleep all night. My pain is so bad after sleeping for more than 2 hours at the time. So, I will sit up at night in the recliner rather than going to bed. I am the one that posted the "sleeping in a recliner" question. This is why I sleep in a recliner because I do not want to go to sleep/bed. I will sit up and fight sleep then dose for a little while and wake up, over and over until morning. I walk the floor with anxiety as well sometimes during this time. Just what kind of problem do I have? Physical or Mental??? What should I do? I know there are sleeping meds but I won't take them either.

Thank you in advance for your responses,

BlueSky555
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

BlueSky:
    I used to have that problem, but it ended when I started taking Elavil, especially right before bedtime. My pain was much less the next day. Like you, I used to be afraid to fall asleep. (Today, I should not be the one talking: I am in a terrible flare and DID wake up with major pain).
    For the most part, I have more success with the Elavil than not having it.
    N.F.
  3. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

with bet

i'm tough to, but i have been cutting myself a break lately. I love to sleep, becuase i don't get enough. I wake up in pain, i go to bed sometimes dredding the next morning, like you. Also another thing is the nightmares and dreams i have EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! i remember them to the detail, some get me really upset, i even wake up chewing on my tongue!! then i'll have to put oragel on the cut, now that hurts.

I have a sleep study this week, so i haven't yet gotten real help, they think i have anxiety disorder, well duhhh i KNEW that already. But i don't take anything for sleep yet, but i do take soma for my muscles, but that doesn't help this problem.

Take care!!
  4. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Like Bet, I'm going to recommend that you take medication if you need it as sleep is the most important "medicine" right now for you and most of us.

I've been on a combination of Neurontin 1200 mg, Cymbalta, and Ultracet 2 tabs each night. I take all of them at about 7 or 8. Then, by 9 or 10, I can go to sleep and sleep through the night without waking and without pain.

Have you looked into getting something like a Tempurpedic foam mattress? My son just bought one that is an "off brand" and less money, and he swears by it now. That first night he used it he had the best night's sleep he'd had in years. Might be worth checking out.

The problem is most likely physical if you have FMS or other types of problems that affect muscles and/or joints; however, physical problems can end up as anxiety problems down the road if they aren't dealt with the right way.

Don't be afraid of taking a pill or trying different things to find the treatment that helps.

Warm hugs and best wishes, Jeannette
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have CFS. Like Saphire, I used to avoid going to bed because of the incessant, and often unpleasant, dreams. Xanax reduced the unpleasantness of the dreams. I think it, the Morning Shake and ZMA have reduced the amount of dreaming, as well.