Can't sleep, stupid meds!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MiahRoo, Jul 24, 2003.

1. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

UGH! I feel so horrible right now. It's just about 11:00 pm. I've been trying desperately to sleep for hours. Here's the thing. I take oxycontin for pain on a regular basis. The past week I've been having a pretty nasty flare and try as I might I just can't go without the oxycontin because of the agonizing pain. Well I had my morning dose early today and usually that's plenty for me to last through the entire day. But this evening at around 6pm the pain started coming back with a vengence. So I took one oxycontin to try to get it under control before it got ER bad.

Now I'm feeling extremely nauseated, even after taking my Zofran. I'm kind of dizzy, certainly feel like I'm medicated and even though my body is exhausted, my mind feels like it's had a whole pot of coffee. It's not even helping the pain as much as it normally does!

When I lay down I feel even worse. All I want to do is sleeeeeep. I stopped taking sleeping meds a while back. I just hate being on a zillion different medications. I have a bottle of Trazodone from a while back but I've never tried it. If anybody is up do you have any suggestions as to what I can try without meds to get to sleep? If I can't get to sleep within 2-3 hours I'm going to take the Trazodone. I feel that horribly sick right now. I just do not want to be awake to feel this. Any suggestions at all, I'm open minded! I've taken a relaxing aromatherapy bath, tried to read a book but I'm too dizzy to look at it for long, tried deep relaxing breathing but so far nothing is helping.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only thing I can think of (since you did all the other tricks I have, reading, a bath), do you have any Melatonin? If so you could try that.

Also Benadryl works for sleep for most people too. If all else fails, how about a nice warm glass of milk, or a cup of decaffienated tea with lots of cream and sugar? (I would not tell you to eat sugar, but it does help with sleep on occasion!).

Will say a prayer for you, that should help too!

Pleasant dreams............

Shalom, Shirl
  3. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

I'm vegan so no dairy goes in my system. I don't have any Melotonin, though I think my mother might. I'll feel really bad if I call her and wake her up though. Is there anything that will help take the effect off of my medication? lol I'm grasping at straws here. I'd give anything to be able to sleep right now. My fiance is snoring softly right next to me...I'm so jealous!
  4. Burnsie

Burnsie New Member

Here I am not sleeping although I have been dragging all day.
    I was just lying there thinking how I perked up a bit after I took my own pain meds about 5:00. I take Vicoprofen and Soma. They used to make me drowsy so wonder why I am now feeling like this. I rely on my Ambien.

I, too, would be interested in hearing other feedback.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And do a search on Klonopin. It will bring up a list of articles. Read the one by Dr. Paul Cheney. It will explain why your brain races and why you cannot sleep. It's an excellent article.

Love, Mikie
  6. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    I remember Madwolf wrote about the reversed sleep cycles of FM. He said that if we feel our best in the evening that we are low in Cortisol. Cortisol is supposed to kick in in the Am and slowly be depleted by night. But with FM the process is reversed. he recommends low doses of Cortof.
    I would love to try it but my doc. says no.
    You might find it if you do a search on reversed sleep patterns or cycles.

Shirl, what dosage of melotonin do you take? I bought some but only tried the 1/8 dose in the early am hours to get back to sleep as Jen recommended. I found I was way too drowsy later in the morning and didn't feel well rested. So it sits in my cabinet :)
    Thought I might give a night time dose a try when I can't sleep.
    PS I haven't tried the ZMA yet. I just keep thinking how can a tiny bit of zinc help when I already get it in my multi vitamin? Guess I'm just a skeptic at heart-after all the years of trial and error. I still plan on getting the Malic Acid and Mag., but am still waiting to see if the DHEA is going to work. How will I tell if I take both at the same time ya know?
    Thanks,
    Ziggy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2003]