Can't sleep without Tylenol PM now

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Apr 12, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I posted last week asking if taking Tylenol PM long-term was safe. I forgot to ask my doctor, though he knew I had started taking it and said nothing. I tried taking just one pill the other night and that did nothing. I go right to sleep with two and sleep through the night and I realize that I can't sleep without it. Is that bad? I am worried that I am dependent on them. I sleep about 10-12 hours now very soundly. The next time I see the doctor should I talk with him about switching to Amitriptyline or do you think it is okay?

I know some people said the Tylenol PM was hard on the liver but it is one dose, but how? A lot of people take it for pain and take more than two pills everyday.

Thanks,

Deena
  2. Katee32

Katee32 New Member

I do know that long term tylenol use can be hard on the liver, not sure how bad though. I'd ask your Dr. Have you tried other sleep aids that don't contain tylenol that may still give you the sleep you need?
  3. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I could try that Simply Sleep, and only use the Tylenol PM when I hurt just to be safe. It just worries me because I don't like the thought of being dependent on something.

I mean I take regular meds for my fibro such as Topamax and Lexapro (I also take that for depression), but when I tried just taking one Tylenol PM I couldn't sleep for ANYTHING. Not being able to sleep for me is sooo frustrating. Sleeping is the only time I am truly pain-free and I look forward to it because I get peace.

Deena
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Deena:

I am with you. Like you said: sleep is the only time to get some peace. It is the same with me. I take Sonata, Elavil, Klonopin and one Benadryl to sleep. Before that I used to be up all night long. I would experiement with it if I were you. I have been on the above meds for three years now and still get a good night's rest.

nyrofan
  5. Katee32

Katee32 New Member

I understand how frustrating not sleeping can be. I know there are other otc sleep aids, have you talked to your Dr. about any prescription sleep aids yet?

I've taken elavil/amitriptyline at different doses and even at the highest it did nothing for me for sleep. Everyone is different though so it may help you. Good luck finding something!
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

Tylenol PM is working better for sleep than anything I have tried. I used to take Ambien, and that only worked for two or three hours and then I was wide awake. I think I took Sonata for a while too, and it didn't work too well. I used to take Elavil and it worked OKAY, but I would get used to it quickly and they would have to keep bumping it up and up. Nortriptyline was the same way. Tried ZMA and it didn't help me at all. Melatonin helped for a couple of nights, and then stopped working.

I haven't talked to my new PCP about sleep meds. He was a little reluctant to even give me Ultracet, I pressed him on the issue and he finally said okay. I know he would say okay to Elavil (Amitriptyline), but I like the Ty PM.

I may get some Simply Sleep tomorrow though and see how that treats me. I don't need liver problems on top of this DD!!

Hugs,

Deena
  7. Treca

Treca New Member

When I was first diagnosed with FM I took Melatonin for about 2 years and then it stopped working and went to Tylenol PM and that worked for a few months and then just stopped. I'm on Lunesta now and it is WONDERFUL for me. I've been on it for almost a year now. The only side effect with me is the dry mouth which I can get rid of when I eat a piece of bread. I know that sounds weird but it works great to get rid of the dry mouth. I'm sure there are other ways to get rid of the dry mouth, but I'm addicted to this bread so why not use it to get rid of the dry mouth.. I eat Pepperidge Farm Cinnamon Swirl Bread.

I wake up feeling refreshed and don't feel like I'm drunk or lethargic.