can't sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fisher1949, Apr 6, 2007.

1. fisher1949

fisher1949 New Member

I am so tired right now-it is after 11 here, took my percocet , valium and have my lidocaine pathches on but just can't get to sleep. I am so tired right now, my legs and hips hurt so bad right now,
  2. ipicJHaMe

ipicJHaMe New Member

I hate to hear that you are having a tough time with sleep.

Have you or can you try a very warm bath with maybe alittle music on low before bed. Not a cure but maybe

it'll help to try a differant bedtime routine. That is before you take your meds for sleep.

A massage ( gadgets seem to be the only ones avail to me, they're better than nothing) and drink some water helps

to ease the pain and sometimes also sleep.

Good Luck, ipicJHaMe
  3. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

Hi neighbor, I see we both live in PA. Sorry to hear you can’t sleep. I know it won’t help with the pain but if you have any Benadryl, it might help you to fall asleep. I heard from someone that one of the ingredients in Benadryl is used in most of the Nighttime or PM meds. It makes me falls asleep in less than an hour after taking it.

A heating pad might help with the pain.

Good luck!!!
  4. llama

llama New Member

I have had sleep problems since I was a child. They have worsened, of course, with age and the progression of DD's.

The last 2 months have been the absolute worst! I've been put on Ambien & Ambien CR (had all ready tried them once, but primary convinced me to try again), Lunesta, Zanaflex and now Trazodone.

I almost always have nightmares and the "hangover" effect the next day with all these drugs.

I'm waaaay past benadryl! I can take Ativan, Klonopin and Vicodin...then add in maybe a cold tablet and I still cannot fall asleep.

Sorry for the long post...it just hit such a nerve with me. I'm so frustrated, my primary and Neuro just keep tossing me back and forth. I'd like to try Xyrem, but I'm pretty sure my insurance wouldn't cover it...and I definitely can't afford like over $800/month.

Good Luck to all us insomniacs.....Jill..........
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have the same problem, I can't sleep..I can go off to sleep but in 2 hours I am awake tossing and turning, up and down..Nothing seems to help.

Sure wish I had some advise but all I can do is sympathize..

God Bless,
    greatgran
  6. wld285

wld285 New Member

I am one also, if I don't take anything in 2 hrs. I'm wide awake. I also have the problem of getting deep sleep. I had 2 sleep studies done, and I get very little deep sleep.
  7. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I have tried: Ambien, Ambien CR, Lunesta, Trazadone, Restoril, Xanax and Klonopin.

Only thing that works is Klonopin but wake up four hours later then I have to take a Xanax to fall back asleep.

I'm supposed to have sleep study soon.
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My insomnia started almost 2 years before the pain and the fibro diagnosis.

Though I have been much better over the last year, a good night's sleep still eludes me.

I had a sleep study and the results show that, even during sleep, my brain stays awake (and that was after taking 1 mg of lorazepam), and the sleep doc said that is a typical pattern for fibro sufferers.

There is 't really much they can do, as none of the drugs put us into the deep sleep we need (except perhaps, xyrem, which is difficult to get and some cannot tolerate it).

The lorazepam is the only thing that helps me somewhat, but I worry about dependence and having to up the dose.

Good Luck
    Sue in Ontario