Can't sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

This has been going on for awhile. Really since the costo. started. I am sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night. Pain is getting worse too. I know the less I sleep the more pain I will have. I just sit here in the computer room trying to be quiet while everyone sleeps, can be very lonely. I refuse to take something like ambien cause of the side effects. I have xanax that my dr. gave me to help me sleep but it doesn't help me at all. I did have to take some nausea medicine the other day and slept like a log but won't do that again, can't stand the extra fatigue. SO frustrating to be so tired but can't sleep.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Sometimes the only way people with cfs/fibro can sleep is with medication. I went through a stage of trying all the natural stuff, relaxation cd's etc but eventually just gave up feeling really crappy and decided to use medication, it wasnt going to go away on its own. Using medication can help reduce your chance of side effects and if your worried about sleep walking etc get someone to keep an eye on u when u first use it, not everyone has these side effects and if the meds work u will wonder why u never tried them earlier.

Theres a stigma about using meds for sleep that u are a junky just like others who use antidepressants(many different uses too) think that they are crazy, theres a big difference between depression and being psychotic but also one of the major symptoms of cfs/fibro is dysfunctional sleep. Without treating it your going to feel alot worse, with sleep meds, there not going to cure you but they are going to improve the quality of your life.

At the end of the day its a personal decision on whether to use medications or not, for us i dont think its any different to blood pressure meds or cholesterol drugs, you dont have to take them but u have a greater chance of heart disease and strokes. Sleep deprivasion has its own risk factors.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

are benadryl, it kocks me out sometimes and at other times dosent do a thing. you might also try something called Sleep MD, you can get it at walmart it's all natural and it works really
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Sheila - Have you talked to your doctor about trying different pain meds until you find one that works for you? My sister-in-law has costo and she found that what worked for her FM didn't work for the costo.

5. Doober

Doober New Member

about trying to sleep with Cosco.

I mean, can't lay on the back because ribs pressing down. Can't sleep on you somache or the sides, Any way that the rib cage is being pressed you can forget about the position of sleep.

The last time my ribs were hurting like that, I ended up falling asleep in the sitting up position in bed. I haven't had too many or any real bad flares of cosco lately, but if this is something that comes on very frequently, If you can,maybe get an adjustable bed might help? I think they have come down in price on these types of beds.

Or how about an alternitive that I just thought of, Maybe get a sleeping bag and sleep in the bag while it is hanging in the closet (I think I may try this, if I can only get a way to keep the door knobs from falling off)

Hop the cosco goes away and you feel better soon from this..

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

WOke up at 12:45...been awake for awhile. Pain didn't help any, legs this morning and last night. I am gonna go back to bed now and try to sleep. I will try some of these remedies too, great ideas.