Can't someone help the new guy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teresa4, Jul 3, 2006.

1. teresa4

teresa4 New Member

When I was a child I had mysterious symptoms (11-12 yrs). I had hot aching joints along with lumps or hive on my fingers and toes. My mother had to carry me to bed many times and at night I had to crawl to the bathroom. They thought it might be Rheumatic fever or something. It lasted about 6 months then went away, Now as an adult, I have sever muscles aches at times, especially in my arms and hands,fingers. They are running all kinds of test and I do have a High c-reactive protein and low WBC. I have many of the symptoms of Fibro, but some times the tender points vary. Any insight to my problems? The doctor doesn't seem to have any.
    Thanks for listening.
    Teresa
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Teresa:

Welcome. Your symptoms sound very familiar. I think you will find that many people here on this board (as well as the Arthritis Board) have similar symptoms. Some are diagnosed and some are not. We are all looking for answers, as well as coping skills to deal with these dd and their symptoms.

You have not yet completed your profile, so we really do not know much about you. If you could take the time to do that, it might help more people know how to respond. Have you seen a rheumatologist? Has your PCP diagnosed anything? Are you taking any meds? The low WBC is interesting, as it would show that you are not actively trying to fight anything in your system (common in most auto immune diseases). I also would not worry about the tender points, as I believe that they do not have to be "constantly painful" but just "painful".

I have a friend from middle school that had rheumatic fever, and some other related illnesses in middle school. She missed much of her senior year in High School. She is now suffering many ails, including LUPUS. She was a gymnast and had many injuries that she just ignored in order to perform and play sports.

I would think that a rheumatologist, or an infectious disease doctor might be your first stop.

Good luck to you.

Ingrid
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Welcome Teresa!

My Aunt developed fibro. after she had rheumatic fever as a child.

My fibro. didn't start until I delivered my second child.

My symptoms at first were upper body (shoulders, upper back, neck). Currently my biggest problem is hip pain especially at the sacroiliac joints.

In my opinion, the tender points can vary.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

Have been tested for Rhuematoid arthritis or Lupus?

I'm sure you were,...as thats the 2 things that pop into my head with your symptoms.
    If your over the age of 50,.... possibly Polymyalgia Rheumatica. ???? just throwing things out there.

Maybe you could search each one and see if anyone of them sounds like you~
    Hope this helped some~

Not to say it could'nt be Fibro or CF.?
    Thyroid levels should be looked at too.

Best of Luck.
    Hugs/ Blessings
    Tandy :)
  5. teresa4

teresa4 New Member

Thanks to all who answered. Yes, I am getting tested for things right now. No results as yet. As for the polymyalgia Rheuamtica, my uncle has that. Is that genetic? I will continue searching until I get some straight answers from my doctor. He is very nice, but I guess I just want an answer NOW and he can't (understandably) give me one. Can't remember if I said so or not but I just had a visit with a psychiatrist who deals with meds only. I did have analyisis long time ago, so no need to hash the past. She was very happy with the prozac and neurotin combination, but said there is a better med out now, but she won't fix what doesn't seem broke. She did recommend taking some thyroid medication, which she is passing on to my internist. So thanks all and I will keep in touch. Blessings to all and stay strong. The answers are out there.
    Teresa