CAN'T SPELL ANYMORE!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blondieangel, Oct 22, 2002.

1. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

This is very frightening for me because it was the first symptom my Mom had at age 52 from an undiagnosed brain disease. She slowly deteriorated and died at age 60.

Do any of you have this problem? English was my best subject, and I was always excellent at spelling, LOVED reading and creative writing.

It's so strange. I just don't know how to spell a word. I have to try and try again to get it right. Just simple everyday words. And I'm finding I transpose numbers/letters A LOT.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you for responding!
  2. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

This is very frightening for me because it was the first symptom my Mom had at age 52 from an undiagnosed brain disease. She slowly deteriorated and died at age 60.

Do any of you have this problem? English was my best subject, and I was always excellent at spelling, LOVED reading and creative writing.

It's so strange. I just don't know how to spell a word. I have to try and try again to get it right. Just simple everyday words. And I'm finding I transpose numbers/letters A LOT.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you for responding!
  3. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Sometimes I wonder where my brain went. Usually when I post I do it in Word and spell check it before I post it - I know I'm type A, but I feel so stupid when I can't remember how to spell. You should see my grocery store list! I always have the dictionary out because sometimes when I write long hand the words just don't look right and I have to check them to make sure of the spelling. It's maddening! I want my brain back! :)

p.s. Try not to do the 'what if' thing about your mother. It's just this DD!

love,

Sharon L
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2002]
  4. Cricket_23

Cricket_23 New Member

I was just actually thinking about posting this same message today to see if anyone else had this problem! I used to be so great in english and spelling and now forget how to spell even the simplist (sp? see what I mean) words. My mom has the same problem (I think she has FM also) she even gets words mixed up all the time like thier, there, and they're. She used to be excellent in english also. I do data entry and am always transposing letters and numbers. I have to check over my work constantly. Maybe I should think about a career change? LOL Anyways, I wouldn't be too frightened about it I am sure it is all part of this DD!!

Lots of hugs,
    Cricket :)
  5. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

I call it fibro-fog. It is like a fog that just comes over your brain, and you can no longer spell simple words, or remember what you were doing, or remember what you were saying. It is frustrating to say the least. As far as I know, there is not a pill that takes it away. If there was I would take it. And I tried that Ginko Biloba stuff and it didn't help at all. Of course, I had to remember to take it!
    hugs
    Duffsangel
  6. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Sometimes I think my fingers have a mind of their own! I find myself using the backspace key more and more!

Of course, the fact that I think my arms just fell off in the kitchen after I cleaned it MIGHT have something to do with this!

Glad to know that I'm really not loosing it quite yet. At 44, I'm not ready to throw in the towel! Just the dishclothe!

Hugs
    Kathy
  7. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

I forget what I am talking about in mid sentence. I have to ask my daughter how to spell words. I tell others it is just fibro-fog memory it has gone somewhere.
    Ann
  8. Rain122865

Rain122865 New Member

lol...sorry but I had to do that. I have the same problems all the time too, my Friends are kind and call it Rainbonics......I spell some things really strange....I have become the typo queen...I also can not do numbers anymore, I messed our checking account up so bad we thought we were going to have to file for bankruptcy, and to think I use to DO accounting ..YIKES! good thing I can't work anymore. And I give things new names all the time.I asked my husband to hand me the number the other night..I wanted the remote control..lucky for me after 20 years of marriage he knows me well enough to decipher..lol....I just try to find the humor in some of it....hey not everyone has thier own language and can change the channel with a number!
  9. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Had me laughing out loud! Thanks I needed that!

love,
    Sharon L
  10. latracy

latracy New Member

I have dyslexia so I never could spell well, but there are days that I can't spell CAT. I also notice that when I am stressed or hurting more than usual, that I have trouble talking. And of course I can't remember anything. My whole life is run by a list and half the time I lose the list. I have to learn to laugh at myself, because it is better than crying over something that I have no control over.
  11. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I do find the easiest words hard to spell. It is what I have heard refered to as fibrofog and can be the worst part of the disease. Don't try to worry toomuch
  12. phenom

phenom New Member

whilst i think it is part of this DD, coz i get it too, i wouldn't put it off as a definate - get it checked anyway, especially since you have a family history of brain disease. its probably nothing but why lie awake wondering? i sometimes think i put everything down to FM when it could be something else - IMHO, get it checked.

good luck

phenom
  13. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

had me cracking up.

Sorry everyone else here that has it, but I'm glad it's not just MY symptom! Sometimes i laugh, but most the time i get frustrated!

and thanks phenom - i did have a brain mri a year or so ago - and they didn't say anything, come to think of it. But I will mention it to my neurologist, who treats me for pain/fm
  14. achy

achy New Member

Rain, you gave me a headache! I am impressed though I can't type forwards..how long did it take you to do that?!

anywho,
    I could spell ANYTHING. I was always the person that was asked how to spell something. It just came naturally.
    Now, it's the simple words I have the most problems with...really freaky huh? Once again, Glad I'm not alone
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  15. epicurean

epicurean New Member

was telling my husband two nights ago about my not being able to spell-am an avid reader,but my spelling ability is gone.
    One question-how do any of you use a spell check when posting on board.hate to post sometimes-feel like a dummy!!!
  16. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Sometimes I forget how to say a word. I know I've used it before and it's sooooo fustrating. Thank god for spell check....It's like your brain is on an extented coffee break. I just tell everyone it takes me a moment to down load the information from my memory banks. If I can't come up with the word I just tell them I my hard drive must have a virus LOL

But I know what you mean my mom has Alzhiemer's and I fear everyday that's what my future holds. It's scary....

17. sofy

sofy New Member

Ive always been a poor speller but the transposing of numbers was the first thing I noticed long before anything else reared its ugly head. My mom lived to 83 but was the sharpest crazy old lady since 50. I could never get her or my dad to get her to the Dr. so don't know if anything could have helped her. The picture of mean old woman she became scares me. You have no idea how many times I was grateful she didn't have a gun because I'm sure she would have shot someone during one of her tirades. I hope someone shoots me if I get like that. I'v already told my daughter to put me someplace where I cant hurt someone and don't look back if I get like that.