can't stand fans on my skin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Jul 7, 2006.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I love summer time & I really do feel renewed in the warmer months, but it's really rough dare I say impossible to be anywhere near a fan. Just walking by one in an office Is excruciating on my arms & especially the legs.

The noise is bad but the air rushing over my skin feels like thousands of needles or knives swirling over my body.

How does anyone else deal with this? It is sudden & extreme sensory overload that sends me into orbit!

Trying to walk around fans is equally awkward. I can't stand overhead fans, either. Seems most B&Bs or restaurants think they're mandatory. Ugh!!!
  2. sues1

sues1 New Member

I do not know why......but it really causes deep pain......
  3. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

Had a very bad flare last summer and the sinsitive skin was one of them. I could not bear the cool room air on my arms and finally had to go in my closet and find a light weight flannel lined jacket to wear.

It took a few days for it to go away.

These last few weeks it seems I am heading down the same path as last summer as my energy is way low and the pain is again picking up speed.

So I don't know where I am with this DD but right now "it ain't fun".
    Wren
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i get this same thing at times. at times it seem like my body it over sensitive and i can't stand the smallest things, the breeze from fans and air conditioners actually make my skin hurt when this happens. i wish i knew the reason this happens and how to stop it.
    rachel
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

My hubby bought a swamp cooler several yaers ago . I like the house better when it is cooler but NOT COLD. My hubby turns it on HIGH and as I walk by it { it is set up in my kitchen window} the sound of rushing wind hits my ears and face and it takes my breath away and makes me hurt where ever the breeze from it hits me.

So I keep in on low and turn it off and on during the day keeping the house at around 75 degrees maybe a bit lower but I can't stand having it blow straight on me as it just causes more pain and it HURTS MY EARS.

Fans are ok if they are on low but if on high or in a office building were they have air conditioners I hear the humm of them and that causes me to hurt more. I accidently left the cooler on last night and woke up in the night freezing and so stiff and it took me several minutes to get out of bed and stimpt { Trip + gimp /limp] up the stairs to shut it off and the air that was blowing on me was just from out side no water in the cooler and I was bawling from the added pain from it hitting me.

Rosemarie
  6. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

for bringing this up.

I too have such a hard time with the air movement from fans.
    Especially bothers me to have it blowing on my face..even from a distance. I become very agitated.
    The noise can make me so agitated at times also.

John loves his fans..has one running at all times,on high, aimed at his face, even in the winter, where ever he is sitting or laying down.
    Has a large stand fan next to his side of the bed and has it blowing on his face on high all night long.
    He cannot sleep without it.

I can handle the noise most of the time, after I have gotten settled down but not the air movement so always sleep with the sheet over my head and at times build a 'wall' with pillows to block the air.

I can handle the overhead fans for the most part if they are on low, but if I am particularly tired and hurting then forget it.

I have the same problem with outside breezes and the sound of extended heavy wind.
    Riding in a car with the window open is another no no for the most part.
    It is not so much a skin sensitivity issue as it is the movement and sound creating a sensory overload issue. Very agitating.

These things never bothered me until about 8-10 yrs. ago.
    Used to love the feeling of wind on my face.

Pammy
  7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Pammy, you're right, I also have waful trouble with storms. I get migraines when it is windy & heavy rains on the roof or on the alumnimum siding.

Wren, Sue, Rosemarie, Rachel, why is this so with us? It comes on so suddenly & takes so long to go away for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2006]