Can't stop eating :o(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaysoon, May 15, 2010.

1. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

I have gained a lot of weight from not being able to do anything and that is with not eating a lot. Now recently I have been always wanting to eat and never feeling satisfied. I know that I shouldn't eat but I can't seem to resist.
    I keep trying so hard and I know that I should not even think about eating but I do. I was making a pita sandwich today and literally thinking that I didn't need that because I was full and already ate but, I finished making it anyway and ate it.
    It is like I can never satisfy the craving. Sometimes I think it is a way to procrastinate from getting something done but if it is I don't know how to get a handle on it. I also think it might be a deep emotional thing for all the stress I feel from not having any income to pay my bills. Again, I don't know what to do with that more than acknowledging it.
    I always tell myself i'm going to be strong and get a handle on it tomorrow but tomorrow never comes.

I have even tried logging what I eat but that always eventually falls to the way side. The food isn't necessarily unhealthy but over eating and not doing anything is not a good combination no matter healthy or not. I don't want to gain eve more weight!

Has anyone else had this problem and beat it? Thanks so much for listening!
  2. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

I don't have so much of a problem of over eating but my lifestyle is so laid back now that I just dont get the exercise I need to keep from gaining weight. Being lonely, depressed, stressed, or inactive are all factors that put the weight on. As well as the meds that we use to fight our symptoms. The food is probably just a way of comforting yourself.

Just keep trying, and don't be so hard on yourself when you fail. That just causes more stress and depression.
    take care
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It sounds like you are eating to comfort yourself.......what other things can you do instead that are comforting?

I know that with little money and health issues it may be hard to come up with ideas, but some things are free and may not be too physically taxing, like: taking a relaxing bath, journalling, talking to someone, doing some art of some sort or even coloring in a coloring book (they do have adult coloring books and online sites with nature scenes, animals, etc if you don't want to use a child's coloring book), putting on some soothing music, meditating, listening to a relaxation CD, imagining yourself in a place that makes you feel at peace (like the beach, for exp), some gentle stretching, watching a funny video or reading a comic book (get at the library for free), having a spouse or sig other (if you have one) give you a gentle massage, painting your nails, knitting, reading, having a cup of tea, etc

not only can these things help comfort you but they also distract you from food, and some of them make eating impossible for awhile anyway
  4. kbak

kbak Member

If by chance your taking any type of antidepressant, sometimes used for pain control or sleep, that could be the cause of your over eating. If not, then try not having bad food in the house. If it's in my house I'll eat it! I just can't have fattening food in the house.

I try to have lots of fruit to snack on because I do like having something to snack on. I also use rice cakes, things I can eat without doing a lot of harm. I have no doubt there's a brain trigger that causes that constant craving. I don't have any good answers tho. Sorry.

Take care,
  5. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Many good points have already been made. Yes, it is possible for "emotional eating" to become a habit. Avoidance, stress reduction, serotonin & opiate boosting -- you can get all that from food.

One good organization that deals with the emotional aspects of overeating is Overeaters Anonymous. Many communities have groups & you may find these meetings more affordable than say Weight Watchers, but there are many good groups around & often the social connection is helpful for those of us with these DD.

The points about meds are useful to consider. Some meds (GABA agonists like Lyrica, & tricyclic ADs) can promote weight gain. In many people, the SNRIs reduce appetite.

If you have FMS in particular, and have not had thorough thyroid testing done, please do so. Low thyroid function can be a factor in depression, low motivation,weight gain, and FM pain. Sometimes restoring adequate thyroid function (if it is abnormal) helps the whole picture, but I am not recommending this as primarily a weight-loss aid. Nor would any physician worth his/her salt.

Do you take a daily multivite with minerals? It is possible for food cravings to result from a nutritional deficiency -- even a borderline one.

Another thing you might consider, something most MDs would call woo woo, however ... Many of us with food allergies and/or intolerances have found that once those problems are dealt with, extreme food cravings go away. There is an adjustment period, of course, but after that, things improve.

For example, I have a "mild" dairy allergy -- not the sort of thing that causes me to stop breathing, but enought that I have positives on several different types of allergy testing. For the most part, my appetite is normal & food is not the focus of my day. But give me a little dairy, and my cravings go through the roof! I also find that when I consume dairy I sort of puff up & start retaining water.

Intolerance to just about any sort of food is possible. However, when I hear of unremitting cravings, I immediately think about dairy and/or grain intolerance. Those 2 food groups each have a protein (casein in dairy; gluten in wheat, barley, rye, and corn)that is one of the most difficult proteins for the body to digest. In some people, the incompletely broken down protein forms an opiate-like peptide (casomorphin or glutomorphin) that binds to opiate receptors in the brain. Serious food cravings result from that scenario. Almost an addiction.

I'd encourage you to start working with someone -- an MD, a support group, a psychologist or a naturopath -- on whichever factors you feel are contributing to your overeating.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2010]
  6. autumn_rain

autumn_rain New Member

I overeat massivly when I am totaly drained, I dont even know Im doing it, but others have noticed. When I'm drained and sickly looking people say I eat alot more and having thought about it, I do, I crave sweet and carb things. I just want that teensy bit of extra energy, even if it later makes me crash and feel worse and eat more again!

MAybe think about that?? I dnt always eat bad stuuf, ill quite happily make up salads and soups for that extra energy. I find herbal teas help and resting for 30-60mins (or even longer if possible!) help the cravings/uncontrolable eating disipate a little bit.

thats just my experience, but I hope it helps a little :)