Can't stop hyperventilating

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Barbie56, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

Help me.... I just can't stop hyperventilating. It started abut 5 days ago and has not stopped. Everyday all day. It is really starting to depress me. I get up thinking about it and go to bed thinking about it. It is almost like a tic that I have to do. Am I going crazy or what ?? Everyday it just seems like something else is going on with me. I just want to be normal... Barb
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

You are not going crazy!! Is there something that you have been anxious about? (besides the hyperventing).
    You could try listening to some calm music, or drink Chamomile tea.

Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Are you on any new meds that may be causing this?

Try doing a search on the subject under title and content. I'm pretty sure I've read other posts about this topic.

Good Luck, wish I could help more!!
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Sounds like severe anxiety. Can you go to a psychologist, he can help you find out why you are hyperventilating. Maybe you need something to calm you like xanax-which is for anxiety and anxiety attacks. Just a suggestion.

Kriket
  4. berley

berley New Member

Hi, Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Several years ago I suffered with this issue has well. A couple of weeks ago I started having panic attacks. I know what you are going through........... I recently had to go to the ER for my anxieties. I've been having a heck of a time. I cant even drive myself to work now because 2 weeks ago when I was heading to work I ended up almost passing out while driving there. I ended up at the hospital parking lot luckily. I sat there for 2 hours for them to tell me it was my nerves basically.

When I start to panic I try to think about positive things in my life. Its very hard.......... I also have alot of people praying for me and my family is very supportive. I think this is just another piece of fibro that attacks you. Thats my opinion...Do you have fibro? Answer me back please and maybe we can help each other through this.....

Kim
  5. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

Hi Kim,

Sorry to hear about your trip to the ER. I don't have fibro, but I have CFS. Lately I just feel very anxious and maybe this is our problem. I have been trying today to keep my mind busy and it has helped alittle. We need to get a grip on this and make ourselves better. This is no
    way to live. I'm suppose to go to a seminar on Thursday night in Pa, about Fibro and CFS. There will be a doctor
    there who will answer alot of questions. We really need to
    educate ourselves on this stuff, because I am not going to
    let this get me down.. I have two children and 2 grandchildren that I love and they need me. We will help each other on this and I will pass on any info that I find
    and we need to try to understand these panic attacks. Barb
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

they can cause it.Linda
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I become more anxious when I overdo and can feel this coming on. Also, I am short of breath. The dr told me because I am "deconditoned". I do home-health and my clients always bring it to my attention. My daughter is a nurse and she is chronically short of breath, even speaking with her on the phone, she is always gasping for air. She has the same body chemistry as I do.

Years ago, when I first became sick, I had extreme panic disorder. I was completely drained emotionally and physically. I had to re-group and start learning to take care of ME. I had a young family, then, too, and was a people-pleaser. It has been 20 years, but I have learned a lot on the way and have met a lot of wonderful people. Professionals that have helped me and others in groups I have joined for my emotional and physical well-being.

I had to visit the past in order to move onto my future. It was a scary time, but worth the trip. I came from an alcoholic home.
  8. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I agree sounds like anxiety. I take 150mg of Zoloft for mine. Was off it for a while, however, just went back on as I have noticed my attacks are back, and I know why, just can't make any changes right now.
  9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

It rarely happens in relation to panic being in public places. Mine comes on while sitting relaxed at home. The more I try to stop it the worse it gets. I only try to stop it because I don't want anyone to hear me gasp for a quick breath. It does happen more often while talking and I can't finish a sentence without that quick gasp.

I never really discussed this with my GP or psychologist, but I do have Xanax prescribed for uncontrolable crying which I take when the hyperventilation comes on, and it does help....alot.
  10. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi Barb,

I am new to this site. I too have a lot of trouble breathing esp. at night when I am trying to go to sleep. I will nod off and wake up gasping for air. I have a lot of anxiety for which I take Xanax. But I do not want to take that long term. I started Zoloft again yesterday. I am sorry for what you are going through, I feel much the same. But, I am glad to know we are not crazy, maybe this is just a symptom of CFS or fibromyalgia. Does anyone know for sure if breathing problems are a part of it?

Thanks, Kim
  11. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

I have not been on this site for very long and there are alot of things I'm not sure what it stands for..such as DD. CFIDS and Bump..Could anyone out there tell me what these are?? Thanks for all the support everyone.. It is so great to know that there is help out there for us and all the people on the site have been so very helpful..Bless you all.. Barb
  12. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

FYI...
    DD=Darn Disease
    CFID=Chronic Fatigue Immune Disorder (I think?)
    Bump=To bring (bump)the thread back to the top so it gets more replies.

Some one else will be able to give you more info than I, and can correct the CFID definition if mine is wrong.

You'll also see DH on here quite often and that means Dear Husband in case you didn't know that one. I only learned that last week...LOL.
  13. berley

berley New Member

Thanks for gettin back with me. I'm starting to really pay attention to when I get anxious more. Like for instance, yesterday I ate cinnamon bread with peanut butter and sugar free jelly. Well, shortly after I ate this I could feel my sugar rising and I checked my sugar with my monitor. Kind of strange, but my sugar wasn't all that high. It was 149 after 45 minutes of eating. Anyways, I got real anxious and feeling all funny. My sugar was fine 2 hours after eating, but dropped low later on in the daytime.

I think all of this relates to one another somehow. The fibro, sugar problems, and CFS. Interesting..... I hope everything is going ok for you today.

Kim
  14. thelionrose

thelionrose New Member

What helps me when i get like that is a class of drugs called beta-blockers. The drugs slow my heart rate and breathing down and lessen what i think are mild for of panic attacks. I only take the pill when I need them but sometimes I do need them to be able to settle down for bed. Just not having to worry about all of those systems allows my mind to slow down a get some kind of rest.
  15. Barbie56

Barbie56 New Member

Hi Everyone, I had a decent day today. I saw my dear friend
    and she is so educated in this CFS and FM. She always helps
    me so much with getting a grip on my life. She is also a
    very talented women in so many ways. She has had Fm for many years and sometimes she can't even get out of bed, but
    if I call she is right there. I also had started taking these shaklee vitamins. They are great ..Try them..Hope everyone has a good day tommorrow and over the weekend. Barb
  16. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

when I first became ill with the CFS about 20 years ago, I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I was always expected to be able to do it all. I did develop mono. But, I remember, when I would get into bed at night, my body would literally shake and tremble.

The doctor told me that at night when I would try to relax and sleep, that is when my defenses would be the weakest. I was exhausted from coping all day. He warned me that a lot of times, one can go from extreme anxiety to the opposite emotion, depression.

I would be trembling. I didn't have much emotional support back then, either, being a young wife and mother.

It has been such a long journey, rewarding at times, that I sometimes have to look back to remember where I began.

I did go through the panic attacks and agoraphobia stage.