Cant take Flax Oil, Makes me sicker..Help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Okay I've tried taking the oil especially after I eat something so its not on an empty stomach and it makes me sick to my stomach and almost like flu symptoms. I even waited several days then tried it again and the same thing happened. Anyone else ever experience this?? Wasted my money again cause I cant take magneisem either.
    Carlacat
  2. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Read so much about it and the same thing happened to me. Tulip
  3. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

The same is true of me. I don't know if this is exactly what you experienced but flax oil will just knock me out! There's a post I started a page ago, the title of which is "'Whimsical' Reaction to Supplements." I talk a little bit about my frustration in trying things that are supposed to work but don't.

As someone who has CFIDS/FMS, you have a unique biology, Carlacat. If something feels like it's not working, the first or especially second time (no matter how supposedly good it is for you), you need to cut it out.

Paul

p.s. I did some research. The official term is "idiosyncratic"-- not "whimsical".
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Glad I'm not the only one.
    Carlacat
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

I believe Dr Joseph Mercola recommends these.

It's not uncommon for people to react to flax seed oil. Like all the essential fatty acids it shoulkd be taken with a meal that contains some fat and start on very low doses but if that doesn't help you are clearly better off without it.

It really bugs me too when I cannot tolerate something that is potentially beneficial.

Cheers

Tansy
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just got three bottles of the flax & borage oil and haven't tried them yet. I can take magnesium no problem, and I used to take fish oil caps, but quit because they made me burp the grossest dead fish taste!

Marilyn :)
  7. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

After reading all the positive things on flaxseed oil,
    I bought a bottle the other day and take 1 tablespoon
    every morning at the end of breakfast. The first day
    it seemed I could taste oil in my throat all day.
    The second day not as much. Next day even less. I'm using fruit juice as a "chaser". Got to be sure to keep it cold so it won't get rancid.
    I'm waiting to see if I see any results.
  8. Kim

Kim New Member

Can you tolerate salmon? I would try DHA neuromins (from algae) and eat salmon once or twice a week. If that's ok, I would add evening primrose or borage, not both.

kim