Can't take it any more.!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Jul 31, 2012.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

For the past week my legs have ached so badly that I don't want to move, sit stand of even lay down. It is not just my legs buy my hips and thighs. and I ache all over my body.
    The only thing that is going on is how HOT it is. WE have beeen in the high 90's for the past two weeks now and I don't have air condititoining or a swamp cooler , just two fans that are going all day and night.

What the heck is going on with my body? I don't know why I am hurting so much. Usually the cold drives me nuts pain wise but not it is the heat.

Nothing seems to ease this pain , not my pain meds,advil, warm bath { too hot for a Hot bath} I can't sleep due to all the pain no matter where I try to sleepI wake up in pain or can't sleep at all.
    I don't mean to complain or whine about this but I have no clue as to what is causing these horrialbe leg aches, I would go to my rehumy but per usual he is out of town again won't be back for a week.
    He will be back in the office on Monday the 6th and of course he did not leave any one to take care of his patients.
    I have reached the point of tears because of so much pain, the weather has not changed in weeks . Our weather is supposed to change soon but nost of the stormy wet rrain wil stay in southern Utah not Northern Utah where I Live. We have not ha much rain this sping & summer.
    So my question is why do I hurt so much when we have been broiling for the past few weeks? IT is so hot in the houes that by bedt ime or 10 pm it is still 85 to 90 defree's in the houwe and that is with eh fans on and onnne is at the screen dooor where it is blowing the cooler air in to the rooms.
    i can't stand this never ending pain any more an I don't know what to do or what doctor to see? I am so sick of feeling so much pain all the time. i don't know why I am hurting like this but I am ready to cry from all the excess pain. Any sugestions?
    Thanks for lietting me vent .
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

A trick I learned years ago to deal with the heat was to wear a bathing suit under a loose shift. I get it wet, put on the shift and I was very cool while I went about my housework. When it dried I just got into the shower again. It's the evaporation that helps cool the body.

And do you take enough magnesium daily?
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I'm very sensitive to the heat, it wipes me out. For me, it makes me weaker and more fatigued.

When we were without A/C a couple of yrs ago, I used a lot of ice packs. I have a variety of them that you just put in the freezer, or even the old bag of peas! Try cooling the back of your neck, it helps alot.

For my bursitis in my hips, ice is the only thing that helps. So if you haven't already done this, get yourself iced down.
    I hate the heat too, so far in So Calif we've had a mild summer, very unusual for us. I better be quiet or it will go over 100!!

Hope you feel better, can you increase your pain meds until you see your dr?
  4. jole

jole Member

This has been my worst summer ever, and like you, I normally do better in warm weather. You totally described how my legs, etc. feels. Constant pain, and no strength whatever. We haven't been getting any rain, so I can't blame it onto changing weather patterns :(

I can't stand anything cold against my muscles.....some people can, but it tightens mine up worse. But the swimsuit idea sounds like it could work! Anything to stay cool, because the heat also causes horrible fatigue. It's been really hot here too, and can't imagine being without A/C, although I keep it set at 78-80. Hope you find something that helps.
  5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

You have given me some really good idea's to check out.

6. rkidd3423

rkidd3423 New Member

Warm weather is usually better for me but for some reason I am in a lot of pain as well. I eliminated a lot of stress from my life, I am taking my medicine regularly and I am eating more healthy. I don't understand why I'm so much worse this summer. It makes no sense at all! I feel your pain!

7. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

What a nifty idea to wear a wet bathing suit under your shift to stay cool. I like that! Thanks!
  8. IanH

IanH Active Member

It sounds to me like this is an electrolyte problem. That is, something in the balance between magnesium, potassium and sodium, If the heat is causing you to sweat a lot then you should be taking salt (sodium chloride) with some magnesium and potassium. We have had a number of people with ME who need to take a little extra salt because of this imbalance.

ME causes a great salt loss especially during the night and many people compensate for the increased thirst by drinking more water. The increased thirst is caused by losing water along with the salt because your kidneys draw water from your blood to get rid of the salt. It is actually a hormonal imbalnce in ME. As a consequence some salt is lost. You would know if you have this problem (aside from the current heat) because you will getting up during the night and peeing, then drinking more water. Now add to this the extra salt lost from daily perspiration due to the heat and you would be experiencing a lot of muscle pain and possibly cramps too.

If you have magnesium tablets take 400 mg per day (200mg AM and 200mg Night)
    Take 1 level teaspoon salt dissolved in one glass water after dinner.
    If you have potassium tablets, take four 99mg tablets with the salt.

Also do you take calcium? If you take more than 500mg daily cut it down to 500mg until yu recover from this painful bout.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/02/2012]
  9. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I already take magnesium 400 mgs and I get plenty of salt in my diet. It is the potassium I don't take a supplement for. I don't take calcium like I should. But I drink a milk and eat ice cream. It most likely is not enough but I can't swollow that huge calcium tablets I have.

I am melting tonight and ache all over. I vaccumed early in the AM while it was cooler and got that chore done. Got my kitchen all cleaned up hope hubby will help keep it that way for a while. I also got my living room cleaned up as well and vaccumed too.
    It was hard for me to get my Mom in and out of the car and in a wheel chair at the hospital for her blood tests and then getting her to climib up the three steps at her house . I wonder every time we go out am I going to get her up the steps with out her falling. She is so tiny and frail at 89 lbs. But it is too much for me to lift if she were to lose her balance and fall.
    I always hurt like crazy after taking her to the doctors and to get her blood work done. I feel like I have worked out really hard and am exhusted by the time I get her into the house and me to my car.
    By the time I have driven home I am so fatiqued that I don't want to move, or do any thing else. Hopefully we did all her errands today. Went to her doctor's yesterday. I am so worn out and in this heat I feel all the pain more for some reason that I don't understand. My wrist aches so badly tonight , I figured out why it hurts so badly I have been driving with teh AC on and the vent is blowing teh cold air onto my wrist that has titaium plate and screws in it. I feel like the metal has gotten cold and it takes for ever to warm it back up. Dumb I know. HOw can that metal get cold when it is inside of my over heated muscles is beyond me.
    MY back really is in knots and kincks from the bluding disc's and other problems. I know that I have a pinched nerve as when I move my leg I get a shock that goes from my hip to my toes and darn it it really hurts.
    Sorry for all the whining, I know others are in more pain than I am. I am so tired and don't sleep well at night. I can sleep in my bed after my hubby goes to work in the am but for some reason I can't sleep in the bed at night , it is so hot and the bed feels like I am laying on a slab of stone. I toss and turn till my dh can't take it any more and asks me if I will relax and stop moveing around. I get up and go and relax in the recliner and will doze off and on from 1am on.
    Well my leg is going numb again so I will sign off now.
    HUGS to all
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Try drinking some Gator-aid. If I'm drinking the kind all prepared in a bottle I will add alot of ice to my glass, or you could also make a slussy with ice cubes and gator-aid too.

I like to buy the Gator-aid powder, to make a pichure of
    it or by the glass--I don't like it full strength.

For clothing I have 2 tank tops and 2 thin short sleeve shirts that button down the front that go together with my jeans. When it is really hot I take the short sheeve shirt off and run it through cold water and then lightly towel dry it and put the shirt back over the tank top. It really does to help cool you off.

Using various sizes of ice bags help too.

is your couch or living room chair made from plush material like velvet? Sitting on that is hot, I put a sheet over my couch or chair--feels cooler.

I hope these ideas help you.
  11. IanH

IanH Active Member

Do you get much sun or take vitamin D.
    The need for calcium is not as high as most think if you have proper levels of vitamin D. (40 to 50 Ng per ml of blood).
    If you don't get much sun then you could take a supplement of 5000 IU per day with the cofactors vitamin K2 and magnesium. vitamin K2 is important (you already take enough magnesium).

Also do you practice meditation? Meditation in the evening can help you sleep better.