Can't take narcotics...what else can I take for pain????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jaden, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Jaden

Jaden New Member

I have just been dx'ed with FM in the past month, but have had syptoms for many years.

I am taking, celexa for depression, bextra(like celebrex), flexeral a muscle relaxer, and trazadone for sleeping.

My question is, what can I take for pain when these meds are not helping? I get extremely sick from codine,demeral, moraphine,and narcan. So far any narcotic that I take cause me to be violently ill.

What else can I take?? I take advil liquid gels but they are not always enough.

Is percocet a narcotic??

Any suggestions would be very helpful!!

Thanks, this is a great sorce of info!!

Joanne
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know whether or not you have tried Ultram. Some have been helped with it. It made me sick, but it might be worth a try for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. RedB

RedB New Member

Neurontin works. I am not sure if it considered a narcotic. There is some dizziness involved at first, but take it at night to get your body used to it.

Kathy
  4. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Hi Joanne,
    I have tried lidoderm patches.It is a patch you can put where muscle pain is and it may help.
    They have lidocaine in them and just absorbs into the skin.This has helped my neck and lower back at times.At the beginning of using them I didn't think it helped at all,but later it did help.Maybe you can ask your doctor about it.It sounds to me like you are taking other meds to help so I don't know much more you can do.I only take a narcotic when I have days I can't move.Believe me I still have pain,but I can manage it with some of these things.Good luck and take care.I know what it is to hurt. Lana56
  5. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I have the same problem as you. The board members suggested that I try taking over-the-counter dramamine w/meds or get Dr to Rx phenergan to take w/meds. Have not tried this yet as am lucky to have a low pain level right now, but I will post an update when I do try it.
    Pixie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a study being conducted which is trying to determine whether Klonopin, also an antispasmodic med, actually interferes with pain signals in the brain. It may turn out that these meds have some pain killing properties. ZMA works well to help with sleep and muscle repair, which in turn helps with pain too.

Love, Mikie
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mikie is right, I take ZMA and it is wonderful for deep sleep, and in turn helps with the pain. I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), I buy both from Pro Health.

I have been taking Pro Energy for over two years, and ZMA for one year. I have not had a serious flare in a year now.

My pain is way down, more like a dull ache, without any spasms.

I could have wrote your post, I was in that much pain, and a lot of the meds you mentioned have made me deadly sick too.

I only take a low dose of Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm each evening for 'racing brain syndrome), then I take the ZMA at 10pm and also Melatonin (3milligrams) at bedtime.

I take the Pro Energy in the morning and at before lunch.

When I feel the pain coming on, I take the Xanax (half the above dose) with an Advil gel cap. That will usually wade it off and it won't get too severe.

I also use a 'wireless mattress heating pad' on my bed, it is just wonderful for the night pain and the morning stiffness. They are sold at Sear's, Penny's and Spiegel's.

I think Penny's has them on sale right now. You really need to get one. A lot of us here on the board have them and we love them!

I sure hope you find what works for you soon. That pain is out of this world.

By the way, welcome to the board,

Shalom, Shirl
  8. PAT

PAT New Member

I do not fair well with narcotics either. Ultram is not a narcotic, and it works very well for me. I was on Neurontin also, but though it helped with the burning pain that travels up and down my arms and legs, it did NOT help the muscle pain and actually seemed to make generalized pain worse. I developed restless leg syndrome while taking it, and began to gain some weight. It works well for some though.
    Good luck, it is such 'trial and error' with pain meds.
    Patti G
  9. willow

willow New Member

It was one of the first pain meds I tried, and it worked great "for a while",..then....nothing.
    I then read about it, it was several yrs ago and all I remember was it wasn't good for long term, and it had some pretty bad side effects in certain people.

When I was first put on Lorcet (10mg-narcotic), they were way too strong for me. They made me very dizzy and nauseated. So, I tried breaking them in half (=5mg.) and it did absolutely nothing.
    The next doc I saw, I told him, and he prescribed 7.5mg same med. It worked great! My doseage gradually increased to 10 mgs, 4x's per day. (This took a couple of years)
    So, maybe you could try a lower dose until your body "adjusts" to it, UNLESS you are allergic to it. (Each script comes with it's own "warning" symptoms)

This may work for other narcotics as well, which are the most effective "pain-pill"

What has gotten me out of bed and back to work is guaifenesin. But, it involves a little more than just taking a pill. There are certain products (mostly topical stuff) you must avoid in order for it to work. It won't hurt you or anything, it just blocks the guai from working.
    It "reverses" fibro, instead of just masking the pain.

I hope you find what works for you!
    Love and Prayers, Lisa