Can't take the pain anymore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mafusula, Jun 23, 2006.

1. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I'm fed up with constantly being in pain. I'm only taking 300mg Neurontin at night and it does nothing for my pain.
    I've been reading about Cymbalta and was wondering what other members who are taking it,think of it. I'm in Australia and if anyone knows the price of it here, that would be helpful too.

Mafs
  2. reckabek

reckabek New Member

300 mg a day?? cause thaT WONT do a thing for the pain... i was on it in the past and was on 300 3x a day...my new dr. cause we think i have fibro with in 3 weeks wants me on 1800 mgs a day....3 300, 2x a day...hes a bit of his rocker, so im gonna stick to no more then 900 for now..hehe...
    cymbalta, ive heard good and bad about.,...cant hurt to try it..i dont see it being cheap... cause its a name brand. i hope u get the answers u r looking for today..take care, beck
  3. maxtout

maxtout New Member

....I was just fed up with being in such constant, horrible, debilitating pain. My doctor has decided to try me out on Cymbalta. I have been on a low dose of Zoloft for about 6 years, but for the past 3 or so years I can't really say that it was helping with my sleep or my pain.

I'm in the process of changing over, one day half my regular dose of Zoloft and the next day the lowest dose of Cymbalta, I will be alternating like this for another 3 weeks, then I should be able to switch completely over to Cymbalta.

The first two or 3 days, I had that horrible,"I forgot to take my Zoloft" headache and my emotions seemed to become a magnified roller coaster ride. I don't know if it was because of the switching or because there was somewhat of a family crisis that started the same day I began the new medicine regimen. Anyway, the bumpy part of that road passed quickly and I've already noticed a big difference in my pain level. On the days that I take Cymbalta I feel as though I have more energy and I am still stiff in the morning when I first get up, but the pain is almost non-existent. It's still there, but not as intense as before and not to the point that it drains all of my energy.

I am definately more stiff and sore on the Zoloft days.The difference is becoming quite noticeable in how I feel between the two drugs. At this time, I'm pretty dingy on the Cymbalta days. I don't trust myself to drive, but hopefully that will improve in time too.

Please try to hang in there. I really was at the end of my rope too, but now I see that this Cymbalta may just be what I've needed. I feel so much better on the days I'm taking it. Maybe it can help you too.
  4. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

There is a lot of research that I have done on my own, and a lot of medications that I have tried over the years. I have never seen a treatment of neurontin alone to be enough medicine to handle the pain.

You might want to consider a different medicine for pain. Recently I have had good results with Ultram ER. I also take Effexor XR, which works much the some way Cymbalta does. Cymbalta may be a good one to try.

I am not a doctor, and we all know that what works for one person may not for another. Good luck in finding what works for you!
  5. kbak

kbak Member

Mafs,
    Getting a handle on pain is difficult and takes a lot of work. I was on neurontin and didn't like the side effects. I've been working my way off of it and I'm down to 100mg/day. It's a nasty drug to get off of.

In order for neurontin to be effective you have to take upwards of 1500-1800mg/day.

There is no medication that will work on a long term basis. If you rely soley on meds to control your pain, you'll have to be switching meds on a regular basis, and taking higher doses just to get relief.

I understand your pain because I've been there. I would suggest a two fold approach. You'll need to find a good doc who will work with you, and listen to you. Preferably someone who has experience with fibro/CFS.

You want to find the right meds to help you sleep because without sleep your pain just gets worse. You have to also look at your diet. If you have a lot of sugar in your diet it will increase your pain.

It's important to do a good basic diet of fruits (those not high in sugar) veggies and things high in omega 3 fatty acids, (almonds, hemp seeds, flax seed ground, fish, ect).

It's also very important to supplement with vit D3. If you'll do a search on Vit D and immune function you'll find lots of good info on why this is important.

I also take an amino acid (on an empty stomach) called DL-Phenylalanine, also known as DLPA at 1000mg. It's an amino that helps with pain. There is also a drink you can make called "the shake" that will help you get the omegas you need.

You can find that by putting - the shake- in the search box on this page. There has been a lot of discussion about it. Any of the meds your thinking about just put it's name in the search here and you'll get great info on how that med is working for people.

I take 10mg of flexeril and 100mg of neurontin at night. The rest I do with diet, supplements, and gentle exercise in the pool. The improvement of my pain level has taken time, lots of research, and a holistic approach to the overall problem.

Some people are perfectly happy doing meds alone for their pain, and that's fine. Whatever works for someone, great.

My greatest help has come from this website and the info here. Take time to read in the library. It's a wealth of info. You'll also find lots of good info by just searching the messages. You'll get a very good idea of what's helping people.

I really hope you find just the right thing to help you soon!
    K.
  6. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I went to my rheumy on Mon. and he said you are on 5 pain meds. Duh, I hadnt even been keeping up with it. Everytime I go to the drs, they give me something else.

My hubby and son said why dont they just give you a very strong med instead of 5. Beats me. Im now on 28 meds and was up all night last night. We all have those days or weeks when we feel we cant stand the pain anymore.

But, we get through it and then every now and then, we have a better day and that helps alittle.

I will pray that your pain will not be as bad today.

Suzette
  7. abbylee

abbylee New Member

My mom has nerve damage and severe pain in her right foot and she's tried it. Again, with no pain relief.

I took Methadone for 7 years and it worked wonders. A few months ago,though, I noticed that either my pain was getting worse or the Methadone had run its course.

I tried Oxycotin but because it's abused on the streets, I was not comfortable using it, so finally we tried Morphine pills (and liquid for breakthrough), and it's helping.

These drugs (Methadone and Morphine) don't cause a "high" when given in pill form so they can be taken around the clock and with the proper dosage might be a solution for you.

abbylee