Can't think clearly - made serious mistakes at work.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeliz1951, Sep 13, 2002.

1. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hello everyone,
    Today was not a good day. I went to work, in moderate pain but I need the money. I had completed a project last week and thought I had done well. Well, today the powers that be discovered mistake after mistake after mistake. Over half the files I completed were wrong and that means the information I provided to the agents was wrong, which is going to cause a lot of future problems. I didn't take it well. This is a process I've done for several years and I shouldn't be making mistakes. I don't know what happened. I can't tell you if I saw the information on the screen wrong or if I saw something that wasn't there at all. I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm frightened. I can't be without work but I don't know how long I can hold my job if this keeps happening.
    I've been acutely aware lately that I'm not thinking clearly. Sometimes, I forget what I want to say or how to spell simple words that I should know. I called for a Drs appointment and when I hung up I couldn't remember what time the appointment was for. My small muscle skills seem to be deteriorating too, sometimes. I've noticed it particulary when I'm typing, I make more mistakes than I've ever made, hit the wrong key, can't make my fingers go where I want them to go or they go when I don't tell them to. The baffling thing is it's not all the time, some days are worse than others.
    Have these things happened to you?
  2. angeliz1951

angeliz1951 New Member

Hello everyone,
    Today was not a good day. I went to work, in moderate pain but I need the money. I had completed a project last week and thought I had done well. Well, today the powers that be discovered mistake after mistake after mistake. Over half the files I completed were wrong and that means the information I provided to the agents was wrong, which is going to cause a lot of future problems. I didn't take it well. This is a process I've done for several years and I shouldn't be making mistakes. I don't know what happened. I can't tell you if I saw the information on the screen wrong or if I saw something that wasn't there at all. I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm frightened. I can't be without work but I don't know how long I can hold my job if this keeps happening.
    I've been acutely aware lately that I'm not thinking clearly. Sometimes, I forget what I want to say or how to spell simple words that I should know. I called for a Drs appointment and when I hung up I couldn't remember what time the appointment was for. My small muscle skills seem to be deteriorating too, sometimes. I've noticed it particulary when I'm typing, I make more mistakes than I've ever made, hit the wrong key, can't make my fingers go where I want them to go or they go when I don't tell them to. The baffling thing is it's not all the time, some days are worse than others.
    Have these things happened to you?
  3. Rosetta

Rosetta New Member

I know what you are going thru, I was in the same boat. I had worked for 30 years and was an excellent employee, but when I started making mistakes that could hurt me or other people, I knew it was time to quit working. This was the hardest decision I ever had to make. By not working, I lost my medical insurance as well as my income. I would love to go back to work but I know it is not possible.
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

Sorry I missed your first post so I'll welcome you now.

I understand completely what you're going thru. The worst thing I did though was to beat myself up over making mistakes like that...it not only makes you feel physically worse, but makes the mental confusion & fog (fibrofog) worse.

I write everything down. When I'm on the phone, I have my pen & paper at hand. I have the simplest reminder notes that other people w/o these DDs wouldn't need, but it helps me not to have to clutter my brain w/ all the details.

Lack of sleep of course makes this really bad, so when you get to your dr's mention this as one of your main concerns. I took notes of my symptoms in with me & took notes on what the doctor said as he was saying it.

I would advise you to document any problems w/ dates that you're having at work in case you would decide to go on disability. Have you or can you talk to your supervisor, explain your situation, but that you are taking steps to help (going to dr). This may help get you a little more compassion & understanding.

Take care, let us know how you're doing, & take hope from the members here who are doing better. Michele
  5. jackiec

jackiec New Member

that's a big reason I quit working 1 1/2 yrs ago. Having a big CFIDS crash the past few days, and I know what you mean about mistakes....especially typing (as a former transcriptionist), I can't belive my mistakes today.

Having so much trouble thinking and trying to stay awake. gonna give in and find my pillow now. Wish I could be more helpful, but just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

Take care. Jackie
  6. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Yes we have been there. They say it's not progressive but, don't tell us that. Yes document everything and now more then ever you need a doctor that will do you SSDI. Any comments from work on performance etc, Keep. Copy if e's.
    Michael is so right.

Gary would reread many time what he was doing and forgot in an instant. Forgot how to do things he could do in his sleep. I retired before I got to that point. I for get what I have just read or am told. Sometimes I don't remember answers people give me and ask again and they think I'm and Gary are nuts. Gary sometimes is so sure about what he is saying that when wrong it is almost inpossible to convince him he is wrong. And with out proof sometimes still believes himself. I have full Power of Attorney on him. I was samrt and didn't try to keep pushing and retired. I was a VP of a Marketing research and consulting firm. I left and became a crossing guard. Now, I am at home. Document everything. I to write eveything down and then find I don't get what I wrote sometimes. I would say if you are Dxed then apply now for SS. Find a doc that will suport and knows alot about SS and will fight for you. Gary pushed so hard he ended up not able to get up for over 4 months. Thank God the doc was so great. Gary applied for STD then LTD and SSDI and got all asap. Your stament above is perfect to demonstat what can happen to us.

Please don't panic and if you go to work go in late and home early so you have that documented to. Yes talk to your mgr. Gary was down to 4 1/2 per day and that showed he couldn't even work Pt. It isn't fair and it is really hard. We thought we had Alzhimers. We were scared. But, If you accept what you must and go forward to be able to live a life less hectic you will servive. Gary was in IT and boy mistakes were really bad. His mgr was so great they put him on probation which also really helped with disability. He couldn't do it. His mgr filled out some forms for disability and di them wrong so I called and ha him correct them before sending. I know right now you think you are losing your mind. YOU are NOT. You have a disability.

I wish this board had all the posts in a thread so you can refure back. I have to print them out and right now I did something wrong when I reconnected mine. Please try and stay calm panic and worry will make it worse. Call your doc and see if he will do more then send the records. If not get on the phone and get one that will. We are all here for you and we both know what you are going through. We've been there. Don't be angry with yourself. I know you will take it out on your self some but, make it short. Cry, Screem and greave then go forward. We wish we could be there in person for you but, you know all of us here are here for you.

We are here for you, Kim and Gary
  7. Myth

Myth New Member

I know what you mean. I am a graduate student and during the course work for my masters I thought I was doing well, considering that I was working at the same time. But some of my work, some papers were horrible, and it was not only confusion in my reasoning, but problems with grammer and constructing sentances. Needless to say the poor work affected my grades and is now affecting my chances for getting into the phd program. I notice the same problem with typing, which slows me down- I know the key I intend to hit but my fingers don't seem to hit the mark any more.
    This fibro fog stuff is the symptoms I hate the most, because it is affecting my work. The only thing I have found out that helps this is to study only when I can read without forgetting what I read, and to edit and edit over and over again. Not matter what I am doing now I check my work over several times to make sure it is correct. I write notes to myself, I keep an organizer and I write on the calander (mind you I still managed to forget about my last doctor appointment). It is very fustrating.