Can't wear a bra at all?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Dec 13, 2002.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

Sorry if the title is to much information, but I seriously cannot wear a bra at all now.
    My chest is always hot & sore, but if I have a bra on I get horrible pain in my chest & my heart rate goes up.
    About 1/2 an hour after I take it off it goes down again.
    I have heaps of different types of bra's. I don't wear underwires, just soft ones with plenty of support, (I'm a DD, so I really can't not wear one at all.)
    Anyone else have the same problem???

Lease
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

Sorry if the title is to much information, but I seriously cannot wear a bra at all now.
    My chest is always hot & sore, but if I have a bra on I get horrible pain in my chest & my heart rate goes up.
    About 1/2 an hour after I take it off it goes down again.
    I have heaps of different types of bra's. I don't wear underwires, just soft ones with plenty of support, (I'm a DD, so I really can't not wear one at all.)
    Anyone else have the same problem???

Lease
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think it is Klutzo that said she wears those sports bra's, I maybe wrong, but I do think it was her.

I also have a problem with a bra, not as bad as you and I have an 'A' cup (you are allowed to smile here!), but it still causes my chest to hurt.

I keep a strapless one near me, so if someone comes, I just grab it and put it on, then when they leave, off it comes!

YOu will get more feed back here, I do believe a lot of us have this problem.

Shalom, Shirl

4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I am a D, and I have the same trouble. It is costo-chondritis, and you will find a ton of info on it if you search the "previous posts". The only thing that I can do is wear sports bras. They make you look kind of "squished" but they sure are comfortable. NO wires or bands of any kind, and you don't bounce at all, so there is no pulling on sore muscles. Have you tried heating pads, NSAIDS or even muscle relaxers? Depending on where the pain is, if none of those things work, your Rheumy may give you a cortisone shot into the area to help alleviate it. BTW, costo-chondritis IS inflammatory, unlike most other FMS symptoms, so don't try to work through the pain or it will get worse. Rest the area and keep it as still as possible until it improves. Also, be sure to keep your chest warm.
    Klutzo
  5. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

It never ceases to AMAZE me how many of our symptoms are the same!! I thought it was just me being defiant, ha ha.
    I am also an A cup (and proud of it) Don't know how I would handle any more that that...*giggle*

I can't STAND the pressure of anything tight on my chest. I feel I can't breath and instantly develope anxiety. As soon as it comes off...the problems go away. I have gotten to the point I just don't care about putting one on at all (only if I H-A-V-E to) Maybe we should make Boobie-Bandaids for those of us with the problem! Oh, I forgot to tell you guys...I am an inventor, constantly thinking up ways to fix things...this is my passion (gosh, I forgot I had one!)

Hey Klutzo....If you read this again, this symptom also goes along with my previous post R/E: the SPECT study. Evidentaly there is a corralation between extreme sensitivity to touch....i/e having tight clothes or even tags in the back of your shirt bothering you when certain areas of your brain are affected!!

Lease, good post! I'll get right to work on the boobie bandaids, ha ha!!

Susan B
    Susan B.
  6. JaneG

JaneG New Member

My pain isn't around the bra area (I'm an old "flower child" and don't wear one unless I absolutely have to!) but my rib cage below breasts seems to ache, and feel tight all the time lately. Chest feels tight alot - like I really have to take deep breaths.

And another reason I don't like to wear a bra is the pressure it puts on my always sore, painful shoulders. If my neck and shoulder pain would let up, I know I'd feel sooo much better!!!!!!

7. seabre

seabre New Member

I also have the same problem with bras. As soon as I possibly can i will yank it off. Not only the straps hurt but around the chest. Hang in there...literally!!!!!
  8. wander

wander New Member

Bra's you say . I say Ditto Ditto Ditto. I don't usually wear one. can't stand it near my skin. On certain occassions can tolerate a certain kind for awhile but have been known to rip off at any time. Do wear sports bras when exercising. they come off right after too. there are ways to hide the fact you are not wearing one if you are bigger than some of you a's. You learn to be very creative and layer and layering helps with always being cold too.
    Unbelievable the same symptome and sensitivies we have. You couldn't make this kind of stuff up. You name it I have tried it.
  9. jeridoreen

jeridoreen New Member

I have big breast and I cannot wear a bra. It makes me hurt tremendously. I do wear them to certain places but my back and shoulders hurt. If I can prove how much pain I am in I want a reduction surgery. I would love to be an A...Probably an E...52.....

Jeri
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

Thankyou all so much, especially those of you that gave me a smile. First one I've had all day :)
    *Klutzo* - I think that actually got me on the track of Costo once before, & I thankyou ;)
    I had a really cruel 'attack' of this last Christmas. Couldn't lay on my side as the pain was so intense, couldn't breathe. My chest was absoultely on fire & noone could touch it.
    Ended up in hospital & thought I was having a heart attack :(
    I had a chest CT to check heart & lungs, but all checked out ok ;)
    I go for the ice pack over the heat pack, as my chest is always so darn hot :(
    The main reason I asked is because my chest isn't extremely sharp painful to touch, like it usually would be with the Costo, so I thought that maybe it was something else. My chest feels like when I have a bra on that it is caved in, as well as hot & sore.
    Thankyou all, I am so glad to know that I am not alone & that I am 'normal' LOL

Lease
    [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2002]
  11. sofy

sofy New Member

Geeze I just love being special. Sure I'm less tolerant of the restriction of the thing but my pain is a specific spot. Its been there for at least 5 years so whatever it is I dont think it fatal. Its on the right side where the underwire would be. I can put my finger on it. Do have cystic breasts so that might be the problem. Had all the mammos etc and nothing so I choose to be free.
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I didn't wear a bra for more than ten yrs. during my hippie period, but this illness and attendant weight gain took me from a B to a D, so I have to. Sports bras are the least painful alternative I've found.
    For those of you who are A's, I have an idea. I used to do this all the time back when I was a B cup and worked in a hospital where they frowned on hippies with swinging boobies under their uniforms. Buy mens' sleeveless undershirts and tuck them tightly into your underwear. Then wear a loose-fitting top and don't jump up and down. It's very comfortable. Or if you want to be more feminine, try a camisole, but pull it down and tuck it in so they don't move.
    Klutzo
    P.S. Stay out of cold drafts! Nipples sticking out are a dead giveaway! :)
  13. paula45

paula45 New Member

Okay, y'all are gonna laugh at this one but I, too, couldn't stand a bra because of chest pain, plus two compression fractures in my back exactly where a bra strap would hit. But there are times when wearing one is a necessary evil, plus my boobs were well on their way to my knees. Anyway, as a last ditch try, I went to Victoria's Secret in search of a comfortable bra. The salesperson was very helpful and knowledgeable (and kind) and found a couple for me to try. And the good news is, I found the perfect comfortable one for me and I'll never buy anything else. I even forget to yank it off as soon as I hit the front door. It's just a suggestion. They have tons is different ones and the one I use is SOOO comfortable. Just a suggestion. Good luck.
    Paula
  14. RedB

RedB New Member

I'm a child of the seventies, and I didn't wear a bra on my little size A's for many years. As they slightly grew, and as I grew up, I always wear one when out of the house, but immediately take it off when I get home. Which reminds me of the first time I saw Flashdance, and laughed so hard when the girl stripped off her bra and pulled it out through the sleeve of her sweatshirt in front of her boyfriend. I had no idea anyone else did that but me!
  15. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

What's a bra? Ha.

~LISA
  16. cathie

cathie New Member

Me too! Fortunately I go between an A and B. But I finally found a bra I can wear, also from Victoria's Secret. They call it a bralette. It's a bit like a sports bra, but not so tight. Usually I just don't wear one, but for when I do, this is the one! Oh, I love the Boobie Bandaid idea!!! LOL
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Paula, let me tell you about Victoria's Secret, if you found a bra that you liked, buy as many as you can afford.

I did the same thing, it was a bra, panties, and cotton sleevless undershirts, then when I tried to order more, they had discontinued them! I fortunately got a few more through their Clearnance sales.

They keep changing their styles, and discontinuing a lot of their items about every two years, and some they change each season.

Red, I have been taking bras off through my sleeves for years, I also thought I was the only one too till I saw Flashdance, I bet a lot of us do this and think we had a 'corner' on that one!

Klutzo, I am still laughing about that 'cold draft' thing!

Also, like Klutzo said, be sure when you all have an attack of Costo, to keep your chest warm, my husband laughs at me, I have more heating pads around here than anything else.

I wrap the long ones around my ribcage and stay as still as possible. Also, if it gets too bad, I take Advil and a small amount of Xanax for the pain. It works.

I do what she suggested. I wear (Victoria's Secret!) undershirts that fit pretty tight(but not uncomfortable), and are all cotton knit(I remove the tags, they drive me nuts). In fact, I wear these all through the winter.

For the 'A' cups here, you can put the bra OVER the undershirt, it makes it a whole lot more confortable, no rubbing on the bare skin!

As for those 'boob' bandaids, will be looking for them to go on the market soon!

Shalom, Shirl

18. lease79

lease79 New Member

from Australia, so we have no Victorias Secret *sigh*.
    Guess I'll just have to grin & bare it, or just go without ;)
    I do the bra through the sleeve thing too *lol* Have since I was in highschool (Only when I was at home of course *eek*
    I thought I was very talented, but my MIL does it too *rolleyes*

Lease
  19. megagrace2

megagrace2 New Member

I have not worn a bra for about 15 years. Long before I knew I had fibro, I got rid of the harness! I keep one in the drawer for dr. visits. I cannot stand the pressure around my rib cage and my back muscles, and I also got nauseated from the pain and pressure. I am glad to hear there is help at Victoria Secrets--I will drag my sagging body there first thing tomorrow. I wear those summer thin-strapped t shirts under my double-layered clothes. It is so hard shopping in the summer trying to find the 2-piece top to hide myself not to mention who needs two tops on in the summer! yikes! Now after 15 years of bra-less-ness, at the age of 61, I am not a pretty sight! ARGHHH

Meg
  20. sheelanagigs

sheelanagigs New Member

when my CFS/FM is at its worst, a sheet touching my skin hurts!

try the OROBLEU line of bras and support camisoles. this line is less expensive in europe, so i have my friends iin europe buy send them to me.. i also have had good results with all organic cotton non-died fabric bras and support camisoles.

the other option is to have underwear made or buy as good a bra as you can afford--i have 4 wonderful bras i bought at bergdorf goodman right at the time i was diagnosed with CFS in 86...the namebrand has finally washed off. they were quite expensive and seemed totally outrageous at the time. HOWEVER, i am still wearing them and they are in great condition. i handwash them.

the most desperate i have ever been was needing support, being in pain, and having to attend a work-related function: i used tape under my breasts...it worked! (be sure you're not allergic to the tape) and i soaked the tape off in the tub. if you're nipple conscious, use round bandaids.

good luck
    una

[ advertisement ]