Can't wear a bra

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by shelb12184, Apr 7, 2004.

1. shelb12184

shelb12184 New Member

Am I the only woman who can't wear a bra due to fibro? They hurt so bad and are so uncomfortable!!! Thank you too all who has showed me support in the past week :]

Sincerely,
    Shelly
    Valatie NY
  2. fllfibro2003

fllfibro2003 New Member

You aren't alone!!!!!

I too have problems wearing a bra, it seems that my skin is so sensative that If I wear a bra or anything that is the least bit tight on my skin, it just about drives me crazy!!!

Around the house I wear loose fitting shorts and t-shirts, when I have to get out I still wear loose overalls or sundresses. (I live in Florida, not too cold everyday)

Maybe someone will come up with a bra that isn't so painful to wear!!!

Good luck
    FLlfibro
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Shelly:

I hate to wear a bra...but I have to. When I get home, the FIRST thing that I do is take it off. I cannot stand to have anything tight on...and so I have a larger, more comfortable bra, but I still cannot wait to get it off.

You would think that women like us out to get smart and design a bra that does not cause us discomfort...hey we can put a camera on MARS...yet we cannot figure out how to have support and be comfortable.

Good luck.
    Ingrid
  4. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

Along w/this dd, I have GERD, & anything tight around my chest about chokes me, & I have such pain I could scream. And being tooooooo well endowed I need to wear one when out in public. But off it comes when in the house. I wear loose lounger gowns as I can't stand anything tight around my waist? either...lol..

I keep looking for a loose front closure bra, & have tried several, w/no luck..Just a waste of money.

I have noticed tho' they do make special mens "undies" to give them plenty of room..rotfl....

In good health;
    fifth....
  5. sassiezhurtin

sassiezhurtin New Member

I wear one when I go out only and usually before I'm out an hour I've taken it off and hidden it in my purse...They hurt my shoulders so much the pain is just not worth it and I'm small breasted so that helps. I believe as much as it hurts me I wouldn't care if I was carrying around watermelons I wouldn't wear one.

Tammy
  6. Flibble

Flibble New Member

I can't wear one but if I have to I wear a sports bra type. I take it off as soon as I can. Lucky for me, I don't really need one very badly. flibble
  7. steelemagnolia

steelemagnolia New Member

I cannot begin to tell you how bad bras make me feel. Around the house, no bra is the order of the day. However since I cannot appear in public without a bra, I have purchased no less than 20 bras trying to find one that is painless. Here are 3 that I have found that are the least uncomfortable.

Warners Friday Bra style # 02093
    It has no underwire or staves, is made of a very soft fabric. The straps are wide and can be put closer to the neck or edge of shoulder if needed

Glamorise style 1825
    It has no wires or staves and I believe it is actually a lounge or sleep bra but for those of us who need a bra, it supports enough that I do wear it in public. I purchased it online through Bare Necessities.

Bali style 3384
    The Bali bra is the best for support and comfort. It does not have a wide band. It has S curved padded straps. Very silky and most comfortable when I want to look my best.

8. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

Maybe we should go back to the burning your bra era!? Boy did I just age myself!
    Patti2
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Bras are the worst pain in the 'butt' there is with FM. I am not one of those well endowed ladies, but even being a double A is painful.

My bra spends more time on the back of the computer chair than on me :)

I only wear it when going for the mail, if someone visits or if I go out.

Its a strapless, so its easy to get off and on this way. I will even put a new one on the back of a kitchen chair to 'stretch' the elastic around the botton of it so its not too tight when I wear it :) New ones are the worst.

The worst thing my new puppy did was chew up two of my old bras :( Well she had a goodtime with them...........

I would love a double A cup with a 38 width, but they only come is 36. I tried the extenders, but they are a pain to snap :)

Victoria Secret has about the best selection, but none are that confortable!

Trisha, that is a good idea!

Good luck!

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 04/08/2004]
  10. richmitch

richmitch New Member

Hello ladies.

I am a man, but I have to wear a bra because of gynecomastia. My B-cup boobs have caused me to wear a bra (which I only wear at home for obvious reasons) because of the pain and the bouncing. While I usually wear a traditional bra or a sports bra, I do wear a strapless bra when I have shoulder pain.

Since I shop online for obvious reasons, below are sites (do a Google search) that I have looked at:

Bare Necessities
    One Hanes Place
    Enell Sports Bra
    Her Room
    Bigger Bras
    The Total Woman Boutique
    Lady Grace
    Just My Size
    Title 9 Sports

Decent Exposures

Wacoal is the most comfortable bra that I have worn. Unfortunately they are expensive, so thank God for eBay.

Bare Necessities usually has the Barelythere crop tops on sale and the $11.20 crop top that I bought from them last year is a good product.

I hope some of this info is helpful.

Take care and God bless.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It isn't an option when I go out, but I don't wear them around the condo.

Love, Mikie
  12. jkd7058

jkd7058 New Member

That was one of the first things my new doctor told me. Don't wear one because there are trigger points that the bra rubs and causes more pain.
  13. Irish66

Irish66 New Member

I haven't been able to wear a bra for months now. I thought it was an allergy to the elastic - never connected it with fibro until I read this.

Around home I go without and I've gotten very inventive at work - I wear a lot of sleeveless turtlenecks under just about anything. I'm small enough to get away with it.

I've tried sports bras, bras that are one and two sizes too big, camisoles with shelf bras, just about anything you can name. They all just plain HURT! Silk camisoles are the only thing that works and of course they provide no support at all. I am going to check out some of the suggestions this weekend.
  14. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I have to wear one for work, so going without all day was not an option. The best I've tried is Bali "Body Zen"- no elastic to rub, and padded straps. I also freaked out on my underwear, and found Land's End seamless high cut briefs in cotton and nylon. Be sure to get the seamless ones. I have a major tag aversion, too, so buying designer labels doesn't mean much anymore LOL. I wear all loose clothes, all of my PJ's are Aria or Karen Nuberger, and the Land's End knit PJ separates are fantastic!! As a matter of fact, lots of the Land's End stuff has been really, really great to wear. Seemed almost designed with fibro in mind. I have the Necessary Knits for work, and also love the knit pants with the lycra they have. Everything has to be non-rubby or it drives me up a wall.
  15. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

I don't wear a bra either, it really upsets my wife...... LOL. Just kidding, trying to lighten your day. But the skin on my upper chest under my arms are so sensitive i can not even stand to be touched there when my kids hug me. My shoulders hurt so much all the time, I don't know how you ladies can stand to support your breasts with your shoulders, I would never even consider wearing suspenders for fear of the pain that would cause. I was also surprised to find out that mikie has "tatas", I had always assumed mikie was a boy. Anyway, I am sorry this is so troubling to you, and I hope you find something that works for you. In the meanwhile, I hope I at least made you smile. Hope that helps
    Rudy
  16. donnadee

donnadee New Member

worn a bra for years . I have had lots of bras but they all hurt my shoulders. My shoulders hurt bad enough without one on. I buy alot of clothes that kind of hide the fact that I don't wear one. I am comphy without one now. I don't think I will ever wear one again. donnadee
  17. libra55

libra55 New Member

Except when I absolutely have to. I am not big busted but I am saggy. At home I just don't wear one. I hate the damn things. They cut and dig into me, I just feel like I am suffocating in a noose. I have tried all different styles, makes, models, fabrics, prices, to no avail.

I do agree with several people who posted that the sportsy type bras that are made of natural (cottony) type materials provide a little more comfort factor.

Peace and blessings,
    Michelle