Car Accident

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Well, I really did it tonight. I got hit broadside, on the driver’s side, by another car. My head hit the side window and my neck hurt. The people in the other car were fine.

I was taken to the hospital by rescue with a collar and had x-rays done. They didn’t find anything major, but I have whiplash in my neck and back. Trust me, this is not what a person with fibromyalgia needs. The doctor warned me that as bad as I feel tonight, I should expect to feel much worse tomorrow. He gave me a prescription for Vicoden and Flexeril.

This ought to go over well at my new job since the doctor wants me out Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday is a holiday here in Rhode Island. I guess all I can say is… “it is what it is.” I’m a mess right now physically and emotionally.

Just thought I’d let you guys know. I may be off line for a few days.
    Thanks,
    Tigger

2. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Boy do you have that right. It amazes me what a horrible year this has been.

As for bad luck... I always call it my Irish luck.

Tigger
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Well I know you'll be needing those meds tomorrow. I know it seems bad at a new job, but if you explain what happened, they should understand. I just pray it won't make your FMS worse than it is now.

I was driving to get my eyes examined and I was shocked how many cars were driving on my side of the yellow double lines. It was just a two lane road. Scared me, to be honest.

Then coming home I couldn't see well and I had to be ever so careful not to go over the speed limit. I could barely see how fast/slow I was going. Thankfully it is less than 10 minutes away from home and I got home and gave up even the thought of backing the car into the garage. I hate backing, but it is harder for me to pull in the garage and back out, so... I have learned to back in, but not today.

I send prayers to you that your new job staff will understand and that you won't feel so bad tomorrow. Stuff happens, you know and it is sad we can't pick the times and places. At least you are okay to the point you are alive and no broken bones, etc. Things could have been worse.

I guess you'll be able to get a rental car from your insurance.

Hugs and prayers,
    Faye
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

Tigger, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Not just because of the accident, but also because of your new job and the trouble you were having already. I am afraid of what this accident will do to you; or rather, the fibro to the auto accident. Did you have any kind of head injury? I do hope this doesn't end up being a serious or long term problem for you. Why does it seem like things always happen in bunches??

Hugs, Tigger. Take care of yourself. I hope the week gets better for you!
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

well hang in there and take of yourself. you come first then your job....i have been reading how you didn't like it there, maybe it will be a breather for you to stayhome for a few days...

take one day at a time and it will all work out,

jodie
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Holy smokes, you have way too much happening in your life right now.

If your employer is any good, they will understand the time off. Make sure you take the next five days to recover.

All the best,

Eileen.
  7. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

Quote..
    Boy do you have that right. It amazes me what a horrible year this has been.

As for bad luck... I always call it my Irish luck.

Tigger

People think the saying "Luck of the Irish to ya!" is a blessing.... we Irish know it's really a curse!

I had an accident 25 or so years ago, and they didn't find anything then... had a few other fender benders, nothing serious. In '03, had an MRI and a neuro surgeon looked at the slides and asked "When did you break your neck?"

:O

If anything at ALL seems bad about this, keep on it. Turns out one of those impacts created a reverse curve of the neck which cause me to develope syringomyelia in my T spineand a whole lot of nasty problems on my C spine.

And I knew it hurt all the time, but never thought much of it - don't be silly like me.
  8. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I've been sitting up for a little while with a heating pad on my back, and I hurt so bad.

As for the job... I had my brother call them. What can they say to him? That way I don't have to listen to anyone or their tone.

I see a flare coming. Luckily the doctor in the ER was familiar with fibro. He told me that he recommends ice and then heat, then said that with the fibro I should probably stay away from the ice since a lot of us can't handle it... I know I can't.

I would really like to know if it is possible to just wipe out a whole year. This year has been so awful that I would just like to forget it all.

Thank you all, going back to bed to see if I can get comfy at all. Waiting for my brother to tell me how it went with my boss, and to bring me my pain meds. The pharmacy was closed by the time we got out of the ER.

Thank you so much... all of you.
    Tigger
  9. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

hi Tigger. I hope i can spread a ray of hope in all of this. 4 years ago I too had a car accident. I have never been able to return to work as the fibro got so much worse. Here is the good news. I sued the guy who hit me and my LTD insurance at my work. It was a long , stressful battle but I won both. I am now mortgage free, have a monthly income , and my health is improving now. I dont have to ever work again too. Also during some tests on my neck after the accident we found thyroid cancer so you could say the accident saved my life. It changed everything for the better. I sure didnt feel that way the first 3 years while I was in terrible pain and afraid of losing everything. But I hung in there and it all worked out better than I ever could have imagined. Good luck and take it easy.
    hugs poodlemum
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope you recover soon. Dont worry about your job, what can they do, these things happen.

love
    Rosie
  11. Angel6801

Angel6801 New Member

Sorry that you had been in accident. Hope that you will have "speedy" recovery! Take it easy and have a lot lot lot of rests.
  12. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I do worry about the job. I know I shouldn't, and even though I hate it, I need the money.

My temporary disability ran out (no funds left in it) and my unemployment ran out (no funds left in it)... see why I'm worried.

Besides dealing with the insurance company today and later I have to call the officer that was there last night, I'm going to take the time to look for another job anyway.

The people I interviewed with portrayed the job as something totally different than it is, and I always get the feeling that they are not happy with my work... because I'm not getting it done fast enough. I'm just learning, but that doesn't' seem to mean anything.

Thanks,
    Tigger
  13. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

For me,bad luck tends to run in cycles.I hope your good luck starts soon.I hope you can get the physical and emotional rest that you need(((((((((hugs))))))))))Linda
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear this happened to you. Just when you seemed to be getting back on your feet a little bit. Please take care and rest yourself.

I know exactly what you mean when you say "the job wasn't what it was represented to be". Years back I interviewed for a job at a big company. I was to be the personal secretary for one of the lawyers in the corporate legal department. I met with him, and he seemed very nice, and the pay was good, benefits too, so I accepted the job. Well within one month of my being there, they transferred me over to work for this other lawyer that nobody could stand to work for, and I heard through the grapevine they had planned to do this to me all along. that was the only way they could get any one to work with this jerk.

Someone else has pointed out this may be a cloud with a silver lining for you, and I agree with that because now you might have some time to search out another job if you feel up to it.

By the way I quit that job, didn't even last 3 months.

I have been in 2 car accidents, neither my fault, once hit head on the other time from behind. Fortunately both slow speed accidents, but I got bounced around a lot and I was very nervous to drive after that. There is always emotional truama with these accidents so take time and be gentle with yourself.

Sending healing vibes your way, Tigger.

(((((Hugs))))))
    Michelle

15. abbylee

abbylee New Member

You poor thing. Are you alternating heat and ice? Sometimes ice is the only thing that helps me when the pain is too bad.

I hope all is OK at your job - though I know you hate it, you probably need to keep it if you can - until you can find another.

Gentle hugs,
    abbylee
  16. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Because of my Reynauds Syndrom I can't use ice. The cold alone hurts a LOT.
    Tigger
  17. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I'm so sorry that this happened to you!

I don't know if it matters one way or another, but I was in a relatively bad car accident on the 27th of September in my tiny (brand new) car. Maybe because I was already doing so many things to try to feel better, I was only a little more sore for a few weeks. The neck thing and all, and my hips hurt extra badly for just a while, but it wasn't that much worse than what I was used to. I hope you start to feel better quickly as well! The timing is so cruddy.

It's good that you rest for the remainder of the week. That could really help you to recover. One thing I wanted to tell you is that I don't do well with Flexeril. It makes me feel really icky and tired...really icky. You may be fine, but take a little bit first to see if you are okay with it, especially since you are just starting to feel better after having stopped taking the Lexapro. The Vicoden is fine, really, but it was the Flexeril that's messed me up in the past, made me sleep for something like two days straight, long ago, long before I had any signs or symptoms of FM or CFS. Of course, you may be entirely different than I am, but I wanted to let you know anyway.

I hope you feel much better very quickly. Try to relax and not worry about the job. Everything will work out, I promise.

Blessings,
    Bebe

[This Message was Edited on 11/09/2005]
  18. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Bebe, the Flexeril doesn't ususally do anything for me. If it can get me to sleep to forget about the pain for a little while, then that's fine with me. Thanks for the warning though.

I've been on such an emotional rollercoaster this year that I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty well worn out... again, physically and emotionally. Right now, sleep is something I could use. My energy stores are just about use up.

I just need for this year to be over and start a clean slate with the last one... unfortunately, life doesn't work that way. I'm just hoping for some changes.

Not to whine any further, but now it's raining out. Ouch, ouch, and more ouch.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  19. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Can't I just be bored for a little while?

Tigger
  20. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

Hi Tigger, I am sorry to hear of your accident you will be in my prayers, And I know its bad enough, but I am thankful for you that it wasnt any worse, bless you, Brenda