Car insurance ... BE CAREFUL

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConfusedInPA, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi, y'all,

Hubby and I got a huge surprise in the mail the other evening. It was our car insurance policy (6 months) and payment notice. I said ok, and tossed it with the stack of "to be paid."

Then I opened it the next morning. Just because I had this feeling.

Our rate went up from $785/6 months to $909/6 months.

No reason. They gave us a rate hike because of our zip code. And because they could.

Well, that got Kevin researching. We have 1 car (2015 Kia Optima, leased). I'm listed as a second driver (I don't have my own car anymore).

Our insurance agent doesn't seem particularly concerned. Sort of like, "oh".

Kevin called other well known, reputable insurance co's. We found out that we were being overcharged anyways! Some coverage requirements expired.

Just an FYI. Don't pay what you don't think is FAIR. RESEARCH IT.

We'll have coverage for $450/6mos from a name-brand co, with more coverage than we have now.

Just wanted to share with you. This also happened to me when I lived in VA. My rates doubled because of my zip code. I found another ins co, through referrals from my co-workers.

Take care y'all. Be smart consumers!!!!

gb66 and rockgor like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane,

Good for you and Kevin. I'm going to be going to see a broker for my car and condo ins. It's good to check it out.

I hope you both and the kitties are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  3. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

Good on ya for sharing.
    Unfortunately we learnt the hard way.

Here in Australia it's the same story though.
    If there's a spate of theft or even in the event of fire or flood, up goes insurance.

Turns out it's cheaper to get cover for fire and theft than plain ol' third party for the car.

What we've learnt is, as soon as any contract (car or house insurance ,electricity,or whatever), Draws to its renewal or expiration, it's time to check out the competition.
  4. RamonaAndrews

RamonaAndrews Member

Hey thanks for sharing.