Car trip, HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dayo, May 3, 2006.

1. Dayo

Dayo New Member

We are taking a long car trip, We will be gone for 3 or 4 weeks. I have fibro and have pain my my back and arms mostly. I have a heating care seat thing. What else can I do. I can't tell my husband I can't go. He knows I hurt most of the time. He gets tired of hearing about it. I am sure. Do you have any ideas for me? Thank you!!!! Dayo
  2. Stop often on the car trip for stretching. Make sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes. My feet swell if I sit too long , so if I take my shoes off, they are hard to get back on. How about a neck roll for your head. Try to relax and enjoy yourself.
  3. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

That is important. Maybe lie your seat back a little. That helps me. Also, take your pain meds on time. If you can, some aspirin or other anti-infammatory might help.

I'll be riding to Daytona Beach (from Maryland) in June so I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.

Thanks for a good question.

God Bless.
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Long car rides are so hard on me, so I know what you are talking about. Definitely get one of those neck pillows & also make sure you have proper lumbar support. I also have one of the heating car seat things - but it is not supportive enough, so I have to use a lumbar roll under it.

One other thing to consider is talking to your doctor about having something extra on hand if your pain gets worse than usual. I don't know what kind of a doctor you have, but when I went out of town recently, mine allowed me to take extra medication for traveling & yours may do the same.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, which will also make you need to stop to use the bathroom frequently enough to stretch. You don't want to get dehydrated, or stiff. Try to change positions as much as possible.

Well, that's all I've got for now. Let us know how it goes!

Take care,

Leanne
  5. mariee

mariee Member

Hi there,
    I don't know your schedule, but we do car trips periodically. My husband knows that when we reach our destination each day I need to lay down for a period of time. He is free to rest or go out and explore.
    All the above suggestions are great too.
    I also take a small blanket - he likes the air conditioner full blast...
    We do have fun on the trips. He drives away from the "bunches of cars" in the little pockets that occur in traffic. Keeps my sensory overload down.
    Take some relaxing music for sleep in the hotels.
    Mariee