Carb Addict with FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Mar 17, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

Anyone have advice on how to detox from carbs? I have it baaad. I eat a bagel or toast in the am...sandwich or rice at lunch...and pasta mashed potatoes...or any type of potatoes and more pasta a few times a week. I tried Atkins with my husband that LOVES it and I got sick within one day. Any suggestions

jmq
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

That might be a good poll to post? I have been trying to be good but it is hard. (((((( Take care ))))))
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have never been on the Atkins diet but another one that was similar. lost quite a bit of weight back then too. i tried to get back on it since my dx with fibro but just couldn't stick with it. i try really hard but some days just can't stick to it or some weeks sometimes months. lol. i've tried to figure it out and the carbs coinside with the stress. more stress more carbs. which in my life right now means a lot of carbs. more then i've ever eaten in fact. only mine is the sweets. i don't even like ice cream but in three days i've eaten a whole half gallon all by myself. i think some of the meds we're on don't help either. some even say may make you crave sweets. my answer now is i just don't by the sweets so if they aren't here i can't eat them. lol.....SueF
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I would have to say that as of a few months ago, I was a major carb addict and never thought I could change it.

Then I was dx with borderline diabetes but I had severe hypoglycemic problems. Very low blood sugars...

So I eventually ended up eating every 2 hours during the day and the carb cravings are gone.

I usually eat peanut butter toast for breakfast sometimes with a small bit of fruit. Whole wheat toast with low carbs, you have to be careful for the sugar additives.

At 9:00 am I eat a small salad with chicken, tomatoes and a viniagrette dressing.

At 11:00 I have lunch, usually leftovers from the night before. Very small meal.

I have another snack at 1:00, usually a small bowl of low fat cottage cheese or caprese salad (2 slices of tomatoe with moozarella cheese and spices) Same snack at 3:00, either/or.

Dinner at 5:00 again, a small meal because I never get hungry anymore.

And when I go to bed around 7:00 I have some whole grain pretzel sticks/or almonds and a few dried apricots.

Not only does this help my blood sugar problems, keeps me more level throughout the day, but I no longer have carb cravings at all.

And I've lost weight...who'd have thought?

Hugs,

Nancy B
  5. llama

llama New Member

Hi jmq,

I also love carbs. I always have. I could live without meat. Luckily I like a lot of dairy and vegetables.

I went on the Atkins diet (right after I found out I was diabetic) hoping that I could wean myself off carbs and conquer the cravings. Also hoping I'd lose enough weight to manage my diabetes well.

I stayed on the diet _strictly_ for 3 months. I only lost 15lbs!!, and I'm considerably overweight. Someone else at my weight probably would have lost 15lbs in the first couple of weeks!!

Well good luck to you...when I was on Atkins I just couldn't face all that greasy meat, it made me nauseous in the morning. I like some cereal or toast, it agrees with my digestion more.

Take Care............Jill..............
  6. blkkat

blkkat New Member

me too! but i like it , comfort food , bring it on!!!! at least something doent hurt, its nice. ---ok ,its late and i'm on my meds and, hungry cause a post was talking about what they eat during the day ! now at 1:50 i'm going to sneak down stairs and get a snack. bad bad girl i am but who cares . sorry being to silly . nite nite--- GOD BLESS - BLKKAT
  7. No advise really, but count me in I'm addicted to carbs too. I have been trying atkins but OMG its hard. I also heard eating small meals every 3 to 4 hrs helps, but haven't tried it.
  8. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I am also a carb addict and also a diabetic which makes it worse my sugar is out of control, well gettting a little better since I have been on shot Byetta for diabetes. But already have diabetic neuropathy in feet, hands, and vaginal areas. Plus have gastroparesis. Things are just getting worse. My dad has even lost his leg and I still don't learn.It is just so hard, it is an addiction just like a drug adict or alcoholic. I know that is no excuse but that is the way it is.

Pam (crispangel66)
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I was a carb junkie until I had to go gluten-free. Then I was able to eat more vegetables and fruits with less fight.

I still eat carbs when I'm down tho, but not near as much as I used to.
  10. Charleen

Charleen New Member

my friend gave up carbs and it help for a year or so but she is back flaring again. Her hubby is a doctor and he and she have tried evertyhing. I talk to her this morning and she is in a major flare just like me. Between the two of us we have tried just about everthing.
    I wish you good luck. You can do anything if you want to hve convidence in you!!!
    Charleen
  11. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi jmg...I, too, was a carb-aholic, and am now feeling better on the diet listed on fibromyalgiatreatment.com. It is as website dedicated to Dr. St. Amand's guai protocol. I am also taking guai, but just recently started the diet. I have less pain and more energy, but it took a week or more to totally get rid of the carb cravings. My weight is also stable, and I'm no longer prowling around for food! Hope this helps...good luck, Ann
  12. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Dr. St. Amand believes that 40 percent of FMS are hypoglycemic, and if we can keep our blood sugar level more stable, there is less pain. So far it is working for me, and I know that I am hypoglycemic. (There is a hypoglycemic website that you can google, and there you can take a test to see if you are HG). Ann
  13. jmq

jmq New Member

I was great to see we are not alone in this struggle. I went to the store today and stocked up on organic veggies and fruits... Also dried fruit trail mix. Thank you for all the suggestions...it really helps because I have no idea where to start. I also bought some grapeseed extract that Jamminhealth is always talking about. Now hopefully I can get through this week without my dose of pasta!!!!!
    jmq
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

MSG, artificial sweeteners and possibly other food additives can cause you to crave carbohydrates.
  15. Suzan

Suzan New Member

It is good to eat a balanced diet..and carbs are fine...if they are the good for you kind! Whole grains...brown rice...pasta made with whole wheat..Barilla has a new pasta line that is yummy..and has tons of fiber and protien in it...look for the yellow boxes!
    There isn't anything wrong with eating good for you carbs..it is the refined sugars..and white refined flours that are so bad for all of us except in very small doses.

Try to wean yourself off the bad for you carbs...dont' try to do it all in a day or a week..but change what you buy..try replacing one or two things a week...eventually you will be off the bad stuff..and eating the carbs that are good for you!
  16. Suzie-Q

Suzie-Q New Member

All those carbs create seretonin - the "feel good" hormone that those of us with CFS or FMS lack. We crave this feel good hormone but our bodies cannot make enough with our illness. So - carbs - which are a great way to get a shot of this feel good hormone going - are an easy, quick - unfortunately - short lasting way to get this "good feeling". Carbs also pack on the pounds so unfortunately one cannot afford to feel too good!!