Carbohydrates?????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fawn, May 18, 2003.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I CRAVE them daily. How detrimental is the cakes, cookies, breads, potatoes, potato chips, etc.? I suppose it is definitely a no-no for fibro. What can STOP me from craving carbs? I would rather eat them than meat. :(
  2. leokat

leokat New Member

and I have no idea what the detrimental effects might be.

However, I am becoming increasing suspicious that I might have a wheat intolerence (and maybe intolerence to other foods).

Also, I really don't like the way my body craves such foods. It smacks too much of addiction for my liking.

On a more cheery note - they do say a little of what you fancy does you good.

leo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What stops the cravings for carbs is to not eat carbs.

Low-carb diets like the Suzanne SomerSize Diet keep you satisfied with good fats and you will eventually lose the craving for sweets.

Carbs can spike insulin leading to insulin resistance and eventually Type II Diabetes. Many of us are hypoglycemic to begin with and eating carbs is the worst thing we can do. Get rid of the "whites," sugar, white flour, white rice, and white potatoes. Also try to stay away from starchy veggies and high glycemic fruits. If you want to know more, read "The Nutritional Guide For Syndrome X," or the intro in Suzanne Somers' newest book, "Fast & Easy." It's written by a doc.

Love, Mikie
  4. athome

athome New Member

YUP, ME TOO!

WHEN I CANBE SELF-DISCIPLINED ENOUGH TO HAVE LEAN PROTEIN AND A HANDFUL OF FRESH GREENS ABOUT 5X A DAY, I CAN GET OVER IT. NOT THAT I'M THRILLED---LOVE PASTA, PEP. FARMS COOKIES, ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM.

IF I CAN STICK WITH IT--AND DOING POORLY AT THAT THESE PAST MONTHS --- I FIND THAT IF I LEAVE 'EM STRICTLY ALONE, I'M OK. FEEL BETTER AND THE WEIGHT ROLLS OFF. BUT ONE CARB LEADS ME TO CRAVE ANOTHER, AND ANOTHER, AND ANOTHER.

AM TRYING TO THINK OF IT NOW AS GETTING INAS GOOD SHAPE POSSIBLE BEFORE I HAVE GRANDCHILDREN. I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS I WANT TO DO WITH THEM AND MY KIDS.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD EATING, GOOD REST TO YOU. NANALYS
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

Many years ago I went on a clinical nutrition course. The people who ran it were excellent teachers and believed supplements had their role, but that much could be achieved by diet alone.

They were vegans and provided lunch for all the students. These lunches were delicious but very high in complex carbs.

After lunch most of us found ourselves feeling sleepy and less able to concentrate.

It was realised quite quickly that many of the students were "carbo drunk", similar to drinking red wine at lunch time.

Solution - animal proteins provided for the non vegans.

Results - more alert and awake students.

Other than myself no one else had CFS, FM, candida or gut dysbiosis. Indicating that a high carbs diet is not suitable for a lot of people.

Cheers

Tansy

6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I find now that if I eat a high carb meal I get very sleepy too. Yuk!

Annette2
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I was mostly vegetarian from birth to age 51. I thought I could never make myself eat animals as food. But, I feel so much better on high protein/low carb, I can't even believe that I ever thought pasta was my favorite food. I am repulsed at the thought of it now.
    The secret is to give them ALL up. If you just give up table sugar, or just bread, for example, the cravings continue. All artifical processed foods that our ancestors did not have must go. Then you will regain control over your eating, instead of having it control you.
    Failure in this area often leads to Syndrome X, aka Metabolic Syndrome, aka Insulin Resistance Syndrome. Whatever you want to call it, it is a killer, taking an average of ten yrs. off a persons life.
    It starts with bad cholesterol ratios, and an expanding waistline, and ends with high blood pressure and Type II diabetes, followed by early death from heart disease.
    Am I trying to scare you....da*n right I am!
    You CAN do it!
    Klutzo
  8. jka

jka New Member

there are medications that can also make you crave carbs.thefirst anti-depressent the doc put me on made me gain 50 lb. in2 months.so check your meds.

kathy c
  9. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I was on lo carb/hi protein diet for about 7 months before my fms came full blown. It was easy for me because my husband also ate the same. He lost 20# in 6 weeks! I only lost 12 but didn't really need to loose any.

My local nutrition store carries a wide variety of lo carb products - bread, pasta (one brand is very good, others not), hi protein nutrition bars (for snacks), cake mixes, cookie mixes, drink mixes - all kinds of stuff - even lo carb chocolate chips that are good(not carob). The stuff is expensive, so I bought 2 lo carb cookbooks that have several bread recipes(4-5carbs/slice), cookie & pie recipes. We eat almond flour pancakes which are very tastey. I don't make the dessert type foods much but when we want a dessert for company, I make lo carb - most are good enough that my guests don't even know it's lo carb.

The only things I buy is the pasta & nutrition bars. I even have a recipe for making tortilla shells - they are delicious - so we have our burrittos. I use then instead of bread for lunch & roll up chicken or turkey with a little lettuce, tomato, & ranch dressing. Great lunch!

So, there are ways you can still have some of your favorites. But- YOU MUST go 2 weeks without all these extras (just 20 carbs/day - that's about the same as 1 slice of bread)so your body can "withdraw"(for lack of a better word) from the carbs you are pressently eating.

Hope this helps you. Wow - guess I did ramble, didn't I?:)

Take care......Kathi
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

Once again highlighted on the clinical nutrition course I studied on.

Many people who go on a vegan or strict vegetarian diet do well in the early months. Then some of them will go onto develope fatigue and experience a greater susceptibility to infections.

Also:

Some doctors in the UK observed that vegans and vegetarians who had CFS did less well than their animal protein eating counterparts. This could be put down to higher carbs of course.

Animal proteins are first class proteins, beans and pulses are second class proteins. The former it would appear provide a more readily available protein for the body to use.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2003]
  11. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

My experience when I eat too many carbs (over 40 a day) is I gain weight, I feel sad and even more tired.
    I do believe everyone is different.

I crave carbs too. The more I eat the more I want. The less I eat (after a couple weeks) the less I crave.
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I AM trying to cut way down on sugars and carbs. Did buy the Suzanne Somers (sp?) book on the information I learned from the board that many have felt better following her advice. Have read just the first few pages. Good luck! June
  13. chuggie

chuggie New Member

Would you mind telling us the names of the cookbooks you bought? Also, share some recipes?
    thanks
  14. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

The name of the one cookbook that I constantly use is "500 Low-Carb Recipes" by Dana Carpender. If I remember correctly I bought it on Amazon. I just did a quick check & they have new & used starting at $12.79. The other cookbook-I hate to say- I can't even find. Tells you which one is the best! The other one is more gourmet cooking & who has time or brain power for involved cooking? Not me:)

Here's a good bread recipe:

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
    1/4 cup oat bran
    1/2 cup ground almonds (I grind my own in a spice grinder)
    1/3 cup vanilla-flavored whey protein powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
    1/4 cup Splenda
    1 Tablespoon oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons yeast
    2 tablespoons raisins, each snipped in half

Put ingredients in your bread machine in the order given, and run the machine. Remove the loaf from the machine & bread case promptly to cool.

Yield: 12 slices, each with 6 grams of carbohydrates and 0.6 grams of fiber, for a total of 5.4 grams of usable carbs & 19 grams of protein.

*The reason you cut the raisins in half is to let them distribute more evenly throughout the bread; even so, there aren't a lot of them. That's because the raisins are the highest-carb part of this bread. If you want, you can leave them whole so each one will be more noticeable.

This bread has a lot of what I would call stretch because you use vital wheat gluten instead of flour. It is really delicious toasted with a little butter. Yum, yum!

If anyone tries it, let me know what you think.

Take care.....Kathi
  15. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Is my motto.

Most don`t eat what we evolved on - no wonder so many end up ill....

That`s a great recipe, definately going to try it when i get my breadmaker. Thanks

Pat.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2003]
  16. chuggie

chuggie New Member

I will most definately try the recipe as well as buy the book. My bf always does the Adkins diet and swears by the low carb/hi protein. After all I've been reading and hearing about carbs, I'm ready to try it.
    Thanks again
  17. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

for this post. I have known for awhile now that I have been messing up bigtime with the carbs, especially the white flour and sugar. Reading your post and the responses yesterday gave me the "umpf" to go clean out my cupboards and "just say no to carbs" again. I know from past experience that I do feel much better without them, but, the craving can be so intense. But, as others have already said, this feeling passes over a period of days. I'm jonesing for a poptart, a cookie, or a muffin today, but, I WILL stand tough. Thank you, thank you. Tulip
    [This Message was Edited on 05/23/2003]
  18. momkatmax

momkatmax New Member

I fell off the wagon about carbs, so we are going to start the two week induction phase of Atkins diet again. Really it didn't bother me the first time I did it. The thing that threw me off track was going to the next phase and blowing that. I read that it is not harmful to stay on the induction phase (20g carb per day) for longer. I will try that this time.