Carbon Monoxide...FMS???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by betternur, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. betternur

    betternur New Member

    I was wondering if anyone else had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide prior to FM problems? We recently sold our house and moved. The new owners had the gas company come out and said that the levels of carbon monoxide in the house could have easily been deadly. We had no idea there was a problem. I didn't have any sickness or tragedy before my symptoms really started other than that, just a thought.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/14/2003]
  2. pam_d

    pam_d New Member

    I had carbon monoxide exposure back in college, in an attic apartment I rented. Our idiot landlord had failed to connect a clothes dryer hose in the basement venting the gas outside----when enough gas had collected in the house, people started to get sick; the folks on the main floor ended up in the hospital, I was the farthest from the origin of the problem & the least sick (but was nauseous & vomiting, I remember). Didn't get first FM symptoms for almost 20 years, though.....but now I wish I had contact with the rest of my housemates to see what their residual symptoms (if any) are....

    Hard to know what things we all were exposed to are causing us grief years later....

    Hugs,
    Pam
  3. mamafurr

    mamafurr New Member



    not that i know of. however, i don't think i would know unless i passed out or something..isn't that the stuff that is odorless and basically undetectable w/out some type of meter or something?

    that is so scary. my symptoms started in my late teens. i am now almost 49. so who know.
    interesting though.
    take care
    alice
  4. bubblegum

    bubblegum New Member

    in 1999 I was putting in a closet organizer in my sons room. Later that evening I felt like someone had a big wide rubber band around my chest and was squeezing the life out of me. I couldn't even wait for the ambulance. we lived about a mile from the hospital. I stuck my head out of the window and by the time I got to the ER I wasn't as freaked out. Later that month, our heater quit working and when the repair guy walked in the house he knew it was serious. The heat exchange was cracked and wasn't burning off the carbon. He said we lived because of the missing wall in our bathroom to the outside. We were in the process of remoldeling and all we had hanging was a blanket. He said that the opening was large enough to pull the gas out. This was in Feb. 1999. In Dec. 1999 I had the worst sinus infection with temp. 104 to 105 for 7 days. 3 weeks of antibiotics before I could get out of bed. But I have never been the same. Maybe the carbon monoxide weakened or destroyed part of my immune system and it took 9 months for the monster to attack me and leave me like this. Anyway sorry for rambling on. It was a great point to bring up.
    Ciao
  5. betternur

    betternur New Member

    I seem to be the only one affected but I couldn't help but think it might have something to do with it. I go to the DR on Thursday, I will ask him what he thinks. I really appreciate all of your input. I have been thinking about that a lot lately. It might at least give me some sort of peace since I have no idea what else might have started this whole thing. I have only been dx'd since March. My problems all began back in April of last year. I started out with TMJ. Now of course the list goes on. Thanks to you all for the responses! Take care.