Cardiac cath

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grams, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Grams

Grams New Member

Hi, I'm fairly new to this message board, and have posted just a few times. I usually like to help answer questions, this time I'm here for myself.

Recently I had a cardiac perfusion stress test that I did not pass. I saw a cardiologist today (Tuesday), he wanted me scheduled for a cardiac cath ASAP. I am having it done this Thursday.

I've had hypertension for many years, type 2 diabetes for the last couple of years, and a less than desirable lipid profile. My stress test showed two areas of ischemia, therefore, the cardiac cath. I must go off my Glucophage starting today, there are problems with Glucophage and anesthesia if I should need it.

If anyone has had a cardiac cath done, I would like to hear about your experience. Addtionally, I would appreciate support and prayers, my husband included. He is emotionally fragile, and I need for him to be strong.

Thank you and God bless...
  2. Grams

Grams New Member

Hi, I'm fairly new to this message board, and have posted just a few times. I usually like to help answer questions, this time I'm here for myself.

Recently I had a cardiac perfusion stress test that I did not pass. I saw a cardiologist today (Tuesday), he wanted me scheduled for a cardiac cath ASAP. I am having it done this Thursday.

I've had hypertension for many years, type 2 diabetes for the last couple of years, and a less than desirable lipid profile. My stress test showed two areas of ischemia, therefore, the cardiac cath. I must go off my Glucophage starting today, there are problems with Glucophage and anesthesia if I should need it.

If anyone has had a cardiac cath done, I would like to hear about your experience. Addtionally, I would appreciate support and prayers, my husband included. He is emotionally fragile, and I need for him to be strong.

Thank you and God bless...
  3. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

I've never had a cardiac cath, but I take care of patients who have them at work. From what they indicate, the worst part is the wait, and then the wait to get up again. Laying flat on your back for several hours is the killer, most dr's order something to help you stay comfortable, but pt's don't want it. I would encourage you to take pain medicine to make the back pain more bearable.

Also, the glucophage doesn't mix with the dye they use for the procedure. It could potentially cause kidney failure. Although it's good not to take it prior to the procedure, it's most important not to take it for 48 hrs after the procedure. Just try to avoid carbs more than normal and seek those high protein foods.
  4. Grams

Grams New Member

SuzieQ, thank you so much for that information, I may have more questions for you later!

OK, here's one already ;)

How/when can I void after the cath?? What meds are usually used, I am very sensitive to so many. For instance, benadryl causes tachycardia and gives me bad jitters. Every PO pain med I have taken, including Darvocet, causes bad vomiting. I hope I can keep all meds to a minimum. I don't want to fall into a trap of giving one med to counteract another, and so on. Also, I am highly allergic to latex, do you see that problem often, is the lab prepared for that?

I hope you see this, and thank you again.
  5. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Make sure you let them know you are allergic to latex, and they should be prepared for that. Where I work we generally give valium or sometimes versed for a cath. You don't need to be knocked out, just nice to be relaxed.
    You can use the bedpan after the cath, but will be awhile before you can get up...unless they use a special closure, that shortens the time on bedrest. If you think you will have a hard time using a bedpan you can request a catheter, but make sure it's latex free. Our hospital has latex free carts sent up for patients with latex allergies.
    As far as pain meds, if they make you sick, might just have to suffer. Can you take any antianxiety meds? Sometimes the valium or a xanax can help too. If you get a good nurse, they should let you role onto your side, keeping your affected leg straight, and bending the other one, and putting pillows behind your back. Unfortunately, some nurses are afraid to let there patients move.
    I hope all goes well for you!!
  6. crickett

crickett New Member

Hi:
    I had a caridiac cath done about 3 years ago. I was having undiagnosed chest pain. I saw the cardiologist and she ordered a stress test. It had to done medically with me laying down, because I have literally no muscle strength anymore and I knew that I couldn't do the time on the treadmill. After they did the scan, the doctor came out and told me that I had at least an 80% blockage in the Left Anterior Descending artery. A cardiac cath was ordered like you, asap. Because of several factors: I'm allergic to the dye, I'm a bleeder, my case was treated differently. First they premedicated me for the allergy and secondly they did the test through the brachial artery in the wrist. ( this was one of the few hospitals doing it) To make a long story short the outcome was that I have NO HEART DISEASE AT ALL! Why,?? the female cardiologist thought that it was probably chest wall pain from the Fibromyalia.
    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that the same may hold true for you.
  7. Grams

Grams New Member

Again, thanks for the responses, they have been very helpful. I will post again and let you know how it went. I'm not having jitters yet, but my hubby is...he's been trying to talk me out of taking the test even though he was in the room when the cardiologist was talking to me. Poor fella (hubby).

Nitey nite...
  8. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

don't know if that is the same type of thing you had today but, they cut a small insission over the artery in the top of the leg and go fishing. I had no problems with the test but a paradoxical reaction to Versed. That was wild. At least I have had things like that happen before so I knew I wasn't me. He found some stang things with my arteries like on inside another and regurgitation. I guess that's why I hear a gergalling sometimes.

Well, enough about me. Wre praying for you and husband and hope all is okay, Kim and Gary

[ advertisement ]