Cardiac perfusion test (sp) and stress test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karenanne, Sep 4, 2002.

1. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I've just been rung and told I am to have a 'cardiac perfusion test' and another cardiac stress test. In a weeks time.

The whole thing terrifies me especially as the lady on the phone said that if I am unable to do the treadmill test (say because of pain..or whatever) they will inject something into me which will stimulate the heart as if it were on the treadmill. This frightens me since, like so many of us, I am abnormally sensitive and reactive to drugs.

At least with the treadmill I can get off it if I feel bad but with an injection, I cant stop it....

I have done a treadmill test previously, but this one goes on to do scans with radio active isotopes...and back again for another batch the week after. Both are a 4-6 hour session.

Does anyone have any reassuring words, experience or comfort please???

Karenanne
  2. karenanne

karenanne New Member

I've just been rung and told I am to have a 'cardiac perfusion test' and another cardiac stress test. In a weeks time.

The whole thing terrifies me especially as the lady on the phone said that if I am unable to do the treadmill test (say because of pain..or whatever) they will inject something into me which will stimulate the heart as if it were on the treadmill. This frightens me since, like so many of us, I am abnormally sensitive and reactive to drugs.

At least with the treadmill I can get off it if I feel bad but with an injection, I cant stop it....

I have done a treadmill test previously, but this one goes on to do scans with radio active isotopes...and back again for another batch the week after. Both are a 4-6 hour session.

Does anyone have any reassuring words, experience or comfort please???

Karenanne
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

No experience from me, but I sure offer my confort! Please, do try to do the threadmill, forget the injections! I don't like the sound of that at all. Don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

Will be sending out good thoughts and many blessings, as always.

Do take care, and try to do that threadmill!

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Grams

Grams New Member

Karenanne, I had that test last week. I was apprehensive, but the test easier than I thought it would be. There are several variations, depending on the facility and their chosen protocol.

Ater fasting for 4 hours, I reported for the test at 7:30am. First EKG leads were placed. I was injected with the first isotope (thallium), then scanned. The table was very hard, and no pillows for the head or shoulders was allowed. My left arm was placed over my head, that was the difficult part, since I've had surgery on that shoulder. I think it took less than 30 minutes.

Next was the treadmill part, I did OK with that. Just as the heart was reaching the target heart rate, the second isotope ( technetium) was injected. Then I was instructed to leave and eat breakfast (no caffeine) and report back in an hour at 10:00am. The second scan was done the same as the first one, plus a continuous EKG was run. I was done by 10:30am.

Preparations included fasting for 4 hours, no caffeine for 24 hours prior to the test, wearing comfortable shoes and slacks, and a bra without underwire. I was told to take my routine medications with just a small amount of water.

[This Message was Edited on 11/16/2002]
  5. TraciS

TraciS New Member

I have mitral regurgitation and had a stress test then a MUGA. The stress test only took around 2 hours, bring a book for the time you are waiting in between. I thought it would be much worse than it was. The MUGA was more intensive but did not require the treadmill. I was chatting with the tech and he informed me that the injection is usually ONLY used for those with serious heart concerns or and older person with frail bones, etc. They will stop the treadmill if you need them to. Once you get to your target rate, they ask that you try to maintain it as long as you can. In fact, with my condition, the tech kept asking me if I wanted to stop! :)

I think the worry about the test before hand caused me more stress than the actual test did.

I hope this helps...
  6. majic

majic New Member

never had this test. just sending good wishes your way. majic
  7. karenanne

karenanne New Member

And very many thanks to you for such a straightforward description. I do feel enormously reassured now. It doesn't sound anywhere near as horrendous as the thing the lady on the phone described!

The treadmill worries me because my previous experience on it set off colossal chest pain and other symptoms and it was incredibly hard work! I'm more worried now because of the problems with my knees and feet.

Thanks for the tip about taking a book. We (Martin and me) always go to any hospital appointment well armed with books and a cryptic crossword!

Again, thank you so much for the really clear descriptions....it's really helped enormously.
    Bless you and thank you.
    Karenanne

8. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

Yes I did have the same thing as Grams described it above. Your really not on the treadmill long at all. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it, but it didn't take long at all. The hardest thing was to lay on the table while they were taking the images as I was getting alot of muscle spasms then and I was afraid I couldn't hold still. But it was actually a piece of cake!! Don't worry, I did and wondered afterwards why I got so worked up about it!! Good luck!!
    Bonnie
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

back in 1992 and it was uncomfortable to lie on the table and keep my arm above my head and I couldn't tolerate the treadmill. They found no damage or blockage, however, so I was glad to have done it.
    Be informed..
    Kady
  10. selma

selma New Member

You are fortunate to have it as many ins. plans won't cover it. I couldn't do the walking one and have had the others done twice. They go slowly. There is a doctor there in the room. No need for extra stress. It's really a breeze. I'm really allergic to many meds too as are many
    of us. They make you comfotable and some docs even do it in their offices. Ket us know how it turns out.

Love, Selma
  11. tired42long

tired42long New Member

I was jsut wondering WHY you needed the testing done. Do you have classic symptoms of heart disease or are they testing because of the "common/normal" symptoms of irregular beats, ect. that come with these diseases? I am interested, as I have been in by ambulance 4x in last 2 years...echo done, EKG, tilt test, and even an ablation of heart muscle for what they called a "suspicious area"---they could not or would not tell me what they actually saw that looked "suspicious". I have little "attacks" like big heart jumps and then skips...then BAM, it pounds like crazy; the nausea, extreme weakness, pain in back, hot flushing and then chills, and sometimes with chest pain and hard to breath IN. They always dismiss it and say EKG looks fairly normal...just a little bit of irregualr rhythm they call PAT.(premature atrial tach?) But, they don't understand that this really sets off a bad set for me, lasting weeks and sometimes months. I immediately am couched or in bed and sleeping for half a day...hardly remember it. I ASKED for a stress test ALONG with the echo...(incidently had seen this on Oprah--something docs always do for men but not for women...esp. those only 40 years old) I wondered if this is the test you are talking about and WHAT exactly are they looking to find. Would a problem have shown up in an old echocardiogram or does the exercise need to along with it as to prove the induction of a problem with exercise? Sorry so long....hope this makes sense... BAD,BAD brain drain today. Thanks much. Eileen