Carebelle and Rocgor Carving Pic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I posted a pic of three of my "elf houses". My DD calls me the Secretary of Elfin Housing. This isn't a great pic, but you can get an idea of what they are like.

I'll post some of my snowmen and Santas in a few days if you want to see them, too.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  2. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Those are really cool!! I used to carve a bit - mostly santas and animals but haven't since I've been sick. Those shavings aren't real comfortable in bed you know! WHEN I get better I will be back at it; I really want to carve a rocking horse. I just got my new issue of "Woodcarving" yesterday so I've been wishing again.

Gretchen
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Exactly what I would want if I were an elf in need of housing.

Yes, I'll take the "early elf" model.

I wish I could paint or knit or sculpt or sing or something. Think how cool it would be to have people say 200 years from now: Yes, My great-great-etc ma/pa made that way back in the 21st century.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Latchooking...latchhooking...latch hooking?

What a good idea. You're right. It doesn't require too much ability.

I had forgotten all about it. About 20 years ago I started a rug/wall hanging. I worked on it for several months. I think it was about 40-50% done.

Then I went back to work and put the rug in the closet and forgot all about it. Wonder where it is now. Have moved twice since then. Have to look around. Maybe the Goodwill got it.

RE: limericks, why not post some of hubby's on the new humor thread for light verse, etc.?
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2006]
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Greenbean how cool.You have a wonderful and different talent.Please do post all you have I find it very interesting what others can see with their eyes. Very nice
  6. jyl

jyl Member

Those are very cool!!
    Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

jyl
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Wow! Greenbean! They are amazing!

You are VERY talented. I can't wait to see the snowmen, I collect snowmen.

Have a happy day!
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Carving is my stress reliever. Just be careful coming into my studio when I am playing with my sharp knives!

Froggy - Chips in bed! Love it! I make my carpet crunch! I used to carve in the living room when I was just finishing up some details. I don't do that since I got my leather furniture!!

I will post some other pics when next week.

Sorry, can't remember who said they collect snowmen, but you would be amazed how many people have told me that! They are popular little critters!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

9. tonakay

tonakay New Member

How wonderful, just looking at the picture made me head to the kitchen for a chocolate fudge striped cookie though... LOL

Hugz,
    Tona
  10. tonakay

tonakay New Member

11. ckball

ckball New Member

Those are beautiful. Do you use a dremel or just those shrp knives? Very cool- Great work-Carla
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Took me a minute to connect the fudge striped cookies with the elf houses (see me smack my forehead!). Cute!

I do these mostly with knives. I have a Foredom power carver and I use it a lot for cleaning up edges and such.

I do a lot more knife carving than power carving. The vibration from the hand pieces gives me a little trouble with my hand. What's great though is that I am left handed but carve with my right. So I knife carve with my right hand and power carve with my left. That way I can make both hands miserable!!

I use the power carver to rough out what I am going to carve in regular wood blocks, not on the bark. I do use power to smooth the back of the bark and to enlarge the holes that I cut into the back to let light come through the windows and open doors.

This is one of the reasons I don't have a computer at home! I wouldn't use it much as long as I have wood in the house!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

13. tonakay

tonakay New Member

The houses are wonderfull, I wasn't making fun of them, just my stupid sense of humor! Wish I had such talent... you are BLESSED !!!

Hugz,
    Tona
  14. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

What kind of wood did you use for those wonderful elfie houses? Cottonwood? Did you collect it?

Gretchen
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I loved the cookie reference! I just didn't get the connection at first! Those magic tree guys crack me up!

These were made using black cottonwood bark that I bought from a man in Montana (I live in Washington State) and had shipped to me. Prices were really reasonable.

I don't collect it myself, just can't do that much walking. If I knew exactly where a downed tree was I would send my DH after it!

My other carvings are mostly basswood and tupelo. I also use cherry and, oh shoot, I forget the name. Well when I think of it I'll let you know. I want to say butternut, but I'm not sure. I use power when I carve in harder woods.

Hugzz
    Greenbean