career and fibromyalgia/ can they work together

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by tippdog, Apr 6, 2010.

1. tippdog

tippdog New Member

Please tell me I can continue with my career. i have recently been diagnosed with FM after many many years of being inconstant pain and not being diagnosed. I am a working mother with four children and am feeling totally overwhelmed by this condition. I love my job and my kids but I am struggling to function normally. Having always been an active person, my inabilty to 'cope' is overwhelming and dabiltiating. not being able to sleep night after night is making me incompetent to do my job. I am currently trying to complete my masters and the the 'fibrofog' is robbing me of my ability to think. I feel that my life is no longer mine and fibro is slowly taking away everything I love. I want to work intil the day I die but I am not coping with the demands that work puts on me. I guess I would like to know that my fibro will be able to mananged and I can live a relatively normal life which includes career. is this unrealistic? i may need a reality check at this point I am not sure.
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, you can have fibro and also have a career. I worked a long way from home, worked 8-10 hrs a day, and raised 3 children and a husband for over 30 years. Read my bio to find out more.

You do have to take care of yourself. First thing you need to do is work on your sleep. Have you had a sleep study? From having one, I found out that I had obstructive sleep apnea. I now sleep with a CPAP machine with oxygen piped into it. It has really helped.

Then, find a combination of working meds that won't drug you to the point that you cannot function. That took a lot of experimentation for me. I now take Neurontin, Cymbalta, and Zanaflex at night. I never took any narcotic pain meds while working. I worked for the federal government and had to be able to pass urine tests and no narcotics were allowed. Even if they were, I would have not taken them because they cloud my head too much and I had a very detailed job that took a lot of analyzing figures, etc. as well as over an hour drive there and home from work. So I took plenty of ibuprofen ... like Advil or Motrin.

The concentration factor was my biggest problem. I think I worked a little slower due to it, which in turn caused me to work some unpaid overtime just to get my job done.

The last five years were rough, and I couldn't wait until I got my 30 years in so I could take early retirement!! But I did it. I also came home and took care of the children from infancy thru typing college papers, etc. My husband was an executive by day and a farmer by night/weekend, so he never had any time to help me. Maintaining a positive attitude was very important.

As I got older, I cut down on the amount of work done when I got home, would put ice packs at the base of my neck and between my shoulder blades to freeze out the pain and right before bed, I would rest with a heating pad on my low back.

What helped me a lot was, on my way home from work, I would stop and take an arthritis water therapy class. That warm water felt heavenly and the exercises really helped. You have to keep moving or you will hurt even more. Those who tell you that they are not able to get out of a chair or a bed and move are normally because they don't do anything and have gotten so stiff that they can't move.

This is what has worked for me; however, I don't know about everybody. I also HAD to keep up this pace to keep our household going.