Caregiver Report

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by BabySis, May 20, 2004.

1. BabySis

BabySis New Member

I am looking for any reports on caregivers of Alzheimer's have cared for my mother 3yrs in my home and she has now been in a nursing home for 2yrs. I have a brother and sister both out of town that seem to think I should be fine now because she is in a home. I don't think they have a clue. I am 46 with a family and a fulltime job. I worked while my mother was with me taking her and picking her up from daycare. My father was also a Alzheimer's patient and I had helped my mother with his care.

Thanks for any information or just listening.
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You have really worked hard. There is a really interesting article in the May 2004 Newsweek magazine on caregiving.

The article is entitled " How TLC Makes You Sick". It is about the health impact on people who have to care for loved ones with Alzheimers.

It sounds like if it were not for you, your brother and sister would not have done anything for your parents. They were so fortunate you were there.

I have taken care of my elderly mother who is in "assisted living" now, and another senior lady who's daughter left the state, abandoning her. She is blind and was very ill when I found her. I have her in the same "assisted living" place as my mom. (She is ok now, healthy, and attends all social functions, sings etc.).

In the beginning her daughter did not want to authorize any medical treatment for her. I argued and told her old age was not a disease!!! I wound up taking over the medical power of attorney.

I don't know how anyone can ignore a sick elderly parent (or person). Even if you do not get along, you still have a moral reponsibility to see they are safe, clean and fed.

It is a mystery to me.....