caregiver service

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Andrew111, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I recently hired a professional caregiver. In four hours she helped me sort through my papers. Reorganized some shelves and closets. Cleaned my kitchen. Drove me to the cleaners. Took out the trash, and all the shipping boxes that I had sitting around. Helped tidy up. My place went from feeling depressing to feeling like a nice place to be.

I realize many of you can't afford this. I can't do this on a regular basis. But if you can afford this, it's a big help. The way to find these places is to search google for "home care." Then you have to sort through them because they don't all offer these services.

2. steach

steach Member

I know how difficult it is to feel horrible and not be able to do the things that you want to do, and especially, need to do.

About 5-6 years ago, I was off work on STD. I stayed at home and looked at all the things I wanted and needed to do but I could barely move. It made me so depressed and irritable. I can relate to what you are saying.

A "kinda" creative thought just came to me- when family/friends ask what one would like for their birthday, Mother's Day, Father's Day, anniversary, holiday, etc., maybe we could ask small favors of them that wouldn't cost them a cent! Or us- we wouldn't have to pay someone to do these sorts of things!

I'm glad this worked-out for you and that you're feeling on the bright-side! :) That is a great part of our battle.

3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i have people ask me from church what they can do to help me and i think ill ask them about this!
    any kind of help would be great,
    just doing a dusting or walking the dogs or cleaning out the fride would help.
    thanks for the great idea!!
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

FWIW, the caregiver services deal primarily with elderly people. IOW, they understand what it's like not to be able to take care of oneself. They are self starters who keep busy even if you are too tired to think of things for them to do.

The one I used costs $18 per hour with a minimum of 4 hours. So that was $72. Not something I can afford to do all the time. But I have a savings account, and I dipped into it for this. I think it was worth it to get out of the hole I was in, trying to keep my place livable. If you can't afford this, maybe family members can buy you some hours for your next birthday.
  5. landra

landra New Member

And I hire people about 3 times a month - 2x's inside, 1x outside.

One friend went grocery shopping with me, did the putting things in the cart. Amazing that riding an electric cart but getting up to reach for things was exhausting. When we got hom, she put things away. And we visited while we did his. This summer, we may schedule shopping this way.

Another friend helped me sort paper and books. Another friend picks me up stuff at Sam's Club.

When people say "what can I do to help?" or similar, I have to make myself think of things. Then they feel good and so do I!