Caregivers to Diabetics

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by Treefrog23, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Treefrog23

Treefrog23 New Member

Are there any care givers to diabetics out there? I would like some input on several situations. I have been the primary care giver for my wife for over 20 years, and need some info. Thanks
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Treefrog, we also have a Diabetic board, you might get some help there also.

In case you do not know where it is, just go to the 'Message boards' link at the top of this page, and you will see an index, just click on Diabetes and you will be there.

Loads of help there for diabetics .

Shalom, Shirl

3. martivic

martivic New Member

First of all, Kudos to you for your dedication to your wife. I have also taken care of senior's who are diabetic. Just remember how important it is to monitor her blood-sugar levels daily, so that you keep the levels within a target range.
    Check out the website for a great article on diabetics and seniors, I found some useful info on it.

Good luck to you.
  4. xoxoxox

xoxoxox New Member

Hi treefrog. It's not easy being a caregiver and spouse to a person with diabetes. Just remember that you love your wife and don't let the irrational stuff get to you personally. What do you need help with? There is also a diabetes chat room where you can ask your questions live. Take care.
  5. martivic

martivic New Member

I found out that caring for someone who has diabetes, requires many, many medications. Especially, as we age. I know that I needed help in managing the medications, a loved one had.

We made sure to log all medications she was on. We made sure to look for any side effects that were unhealthy and we made sure to give her, the meds at the same time daily. We also made sure her blood-sugar levels were "normal"

check out for a great article on caring for diabetics. Good luck.