Carpal tunnel? Arthritis? WHAT IS THIS? Please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Jul 30, 2006.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

About 6 weeks ago when the humidity really kicked in here in Arkansas, I started having wrist/arm pain. As background info. I should probably tell that about 6 months ago I contused my elbow of that same arm. Since then, I have had alot of pain from typing and a burning/tingling sensation in my wrist/arm. The pain that I am having is exaccerbated from the work I do as a cashier at Wal-Mart. Last night I came home after 4 hours of checking and was in tears from the pain. Here's the best description I can give you on my pain. It starts in the middle of my hand and includes my entire wrist and forearm and the pain runs along the nerve line of my forearm. It is a burning,throbbing pain that is so bad that I cannot wear my watch because the pressure hurts. My upper arm is sore as well, but not near as sore as my forearm. I haven't been to the dr. about this yet but wanted to consult with everyone here before I did. I can't tell if this is possibly carpal tunnel or arthritis or fibro? The pain really kicked in when the heat/humidity kicked in 6 weeks ago. What could that be a sign of? What can I do to help this pain? I have tried wearing this wrist brace my husband had, but felt like I couldn't do my cashier duties near as quickly and it made me quite clumsy so I took it off. The pressure from wearing it actually made it hurt worse. What should I do? Ibuprofen seems to help some, but not enough to keep the pain away while I am working and using that arm. Please help! When I type, the pressure of my wrist resting on the computer desk really hurts too. LOL Carla
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

You can get one at CVS or Walgreen's.Not sure if Wal_Mart has them cant remember.

I have a custom brace for mine that I wear at night.My doctor told me to wear it at night.

I had tendinitis in my left had and had surgery thats gone.

I used to be a manager for Wal_Mart.A lot of our cashiers got carper tunnel from repetitive motion.Thats what causes it.

Hope I helped a bit.I would try the brace while sleeping.Its not expensive and you'll know if it helps thats what you have.

Sue
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

If you got FM- this is common with FM, especially if you overuse hands/wrists, arms. It sounds very much like neuropathy, someone suggested carpal, it could be that, it could be something else. There are many neuropathic conditions. You could get it evaluated.

The more I use my hands/arms, the worse it got. I have now lost 2 professions because of it. It will get better if I don't use my hands/ do repetitive movements. I never got a definite diagnosis, but I didn't have a good doc yet, either (all in your head,,,blah, blah).

I am sorry, I know how bad this pain can get. Good luck.

4. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

Sorry you've recieved so few posts. I can't say what this may be, but can't they test for carpal tunnel and arthritis?

Maybe you should check it out with a doctor. If they can't find a cause for the pain, it's probably fibro.

Maybe if nothing else, my post will get you back on page 1 again.

Good Luck
    Barb
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Carla,
    I'm no doctor, but it sounds like tendonitis, to me. Those of us with CFIDS/FMS seem to get it really easily.

I'm sorry you are in so much pain. I wouldn't put off going to the doctor any more. Of course, which kind of Dr. is the question. Maybe your prmary would refer you to the proper kind.

Good luck,
    Terry
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

wear the carpal brace at night in bed rather than when you are working. This is when you should wear it. I thought I had carpal but I think it is tendinitis.

It helps a lot wearing it in bed and essential to get the right size for you.

Love Anne Cromwell

I do hope you are doing OK and feeling more spirited these days and your kitty is OK
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

If it is tendinitis like Cromwell suggests- it reminds me (observe!! an extreme case and very unusual!!) of my mother (she has FM) where she kept using her arms carrying children (with her tendinitis) til it ruptured. It was in the shoulder and her arm sunk down a few inches. Of course she had a complicated repair of her shoulder. Very painful. Since she overused in such a dramatic way for many years her arm is now very immobile.

8. kinelson

kinelson New Member

I have had this same thing going on!! Spoke to new dr about it he said that fibro usually affects large muscels and not usually the hands, wrists, etc. He did some tests I think for Lupus, at least thats what he said he was going to test for. i type for a living and sometimes my wrists and hands hurt so bad i can hardley type.

9. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Does not sound like carpal tunnel. I have had CT surgery on both wrists. I am a computer programmer(25 years) and had numbness, pain and tingling for about 11. Finally had the surgery and things are great. First they thought it was a nerve trapped in the elbow area. Maybe yours? The pain part did not really kick in until about 9 months before I decided on the surgery. The pain was mostly at night. The numbness was most of the time. I could not even tell what keys I was pressing on the keyboard. Try something; extend your are with the palm up, no support and arm horizontal with the floor. Then with the other hand tap on your wrist just below your palm. If it jumps or you feel it tingle(mostly in the fingers but can shoot towards your elbow. That is one of the easy tests for CTS. Get an EMG if it keeps up. Good luck and let us know - Thanks, Bobby
  10. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

HEY CARLA
    I had it carpal tunnel in my right arm and it yore me up it started with the tingly and burnning if i lifted my arm up as curling my hair ex but i had a reck woman ran out in front of me and it started hurting somthing awful and for a couple of months finally i had surgery on it, it doesn't hurt nothing like it ust to so that might be a option for you.

I noticed you mentioned that you were going to stop taken the meds to get preg how are you going to deal with the fibro