Carpal Tunnel/Balance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeanann, Sep 19, 2002.

1. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, both wrists. I will have surgery 10/15. What i have been learning is this is part of FM. My rolfer and chrio both say that the problem is not just in the wrist it is all the way up the muscles in the arms, shoulders and neck. I am working with my rolfer to release the muscles in those areas.
    My hands feel like they don't get the message from my brain, like i'll tyoe the same letter two times, or feel like i am going to drop a cup, or drop things out of my hands. I have also fallen 6 times in two weeks. I don't fall!!!!! the last time i fell was 12 years ago on the ice. It feels like this disease affects my whole body. i suppose we have to accept this and learn to manage it.

Love you guys jean ann
  2. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, both wrists. I will have surgery 10/15. What i have been learning is this is part of FM. My rolfer and chrio both say that the problem is not just in the wrist it is all the way up the muscles in the arms, shoulders and neck. I am working with my rolfer to release the muscles in those areas.
    My hands feel like they don't get the message from my brain, like i'll tyoe the same letter two times, or feel like i am going to drop a cup, or drop things out of my hands. I have also fallen 6 times in two weeks. I don't fall!!!!! the last time i fell was 12 years ago on the ice. It feels like this disease affects my whole body. i suppose we have to accept this and learn to manage it.

Love you guys jean ann
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I went to a meeting two days ago for fibromyalgia sponsored by some local chiropractics. They felt they could help people with fibromyalgia because the spine goes out of alignment and pinches off the nerves. Because the spinal cord is the pathway from the brain to rest of our body then anything that blocks the messages being sent from the brain to the rest of our body prevents the brain from being able to send messages to the body to tell it what it needs to do to heal itself. The chiropractors help to get the spine realigned with gentle massage so the nervous system functions best and the messages get through. Actually this is how they treat all disease by the sound of it (as well as some other things). It doesn't sound like it could hurt any and may even help.
    I read that vitamin B6 was good for carpal tunnel syndrome. B6 can be a tricky vitamin to balance and too much can be more harmful than too little. If I think I need B6 I just eat a small handful of pecans which contain this vitamin. I don't think eating a few pecans will hurt you, unless you are allergic to nuts or something.
    Peace and Joy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2002]
  4. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

My best times were at night when I got up. I finally had to laugh when I was not hurt. I had to re learn how to get up on my feet.

I have had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands. For five years I was in horrid pain, couldn't write with a pen, cook, hold my baby and more. They blamed it on FMS. Then they tested me a found it to be CP. I am so glad. Because I have gained weight, I have trouble off and on. But there are definitely places in your neck, around your collar bone, etc that if someone were to push the right place, you would feel it all the way down into your fingers. That does not mean you don't have CP. You just have pockets that need (in my opinion only) deep tissue work to release the tightness and muscles.

Take care,

Lynda B.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2002]
  5. debrastets

debrastets New Member

I had Ct surgery in both hands and both of mind came back I now have RSD in right hand . I have never heard of it until i got it . I have Fm too 'but; doctors said my cts were cause of the work i did with ect. sanders for six years ! Any one can get it and i couldnt or still cant put my makeup on ;drop everything so i know how you feel! My sister had same surgery on both hands and did fine ! Good luck and you will be in my prayers!