Carpal Tunnel in women

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momblue, Apr 21, 2007.

1. momblue

momblue New Member

I went across the border yesterday and over to Target. I found wrist braces there that are for women. They are made by "Wellgate". I used them last night and they were very comfortable. Each (right and left) brace cost $17.99 and are well worth it.
  2. skikat

skikat New Member

MOMBLUE, THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. I HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH CARPAL TUNNEL AGAIN , BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH VERY VERY WEAK WRISTS AND SHOULDER JOINTS. THEY HURT SO BAD. SO THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BANDS. CAN YOU PICK THINGS UP WEARING THEM , ANY BETTER? JUST WONDERED. THEY WANTED TO DO SURGERY ON ME ABOUT 30 YEARS AGO FOR THAT BUT MY SON TALKED ME OUT OF IT AND HE WAS ONLY 16 YEARS OLD. I AM SURE GLAD THAT HE DID. I DIDNT EVEN HAVE IT! I WAS FINE FOR, WELL UP UNTIL ABOUT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO SO I GUESS I LASTED 30+ YEARS DOING OK. BUT I NEED HELP NOW FOR STRENGTH. HUGS....SKI
  3. hi skikat,i was just reading in your message that you want help to strengthen your wrist muscles.

many years ago i suffered from what they call tennis elbow,haha (although i dont play tennis).

anyway the pain was terrible,i couldnt even lift the gate latch without suffering from pain,and my hand would go claw like.my doctor put some sort of injections into my elbow,and the pain went away for a couple of years.

well to cut a long story short..the pain came back,but those injects were horribly painful,so i opted for excersize instead,this time round.

heres something that has helped me a lot,and i didnt need surgery.

i was told at a pain management course to use a dumbell daily,and its eased the severity of the flares.so heres what i do.

i use a 0.5 kg dumbell,its very light.and you can do this at the table,on the arm of the sofa,even at your pc,s keyboard table, if you fancy doing it there.

you sit down,keep your spine straight.put a cushion,or your other hand on the surface of the table,or whatever you are using,(if its a hard surface that is)

then put your hand that is holding the dumbell,on the table/cushion/other hand..whatever..

the dumbell hand should be slightly hanging over the table.you now gently make your hand move up at the wrist,hold it there a few seconds,then let the hand move back down.all this time you must keep your arm on the table/cushion/other hand..

you do this up,down movement as many times as is comfortable for you..dont over do it..the first time i tried it,i could only manage it five times,but as the days pass by,you get to do more because your wrist muscles begin to strengthen.

i do this each morning,and im now just doing it for one minute.it has helped with the wrist pain,its not severe now,and my hands no longer get pulled into that claw like position.

when the symptoms of pain go away,its easy to forget to do the excersize,but ive found that if i havent done it for say about a week,i then start to get that tight, painful,pulling sensation in my lower arm and elbow,and of course one finger will start to go claw like again.

so to me, thats the sign that i should go get me dumbell and excersize that hand.

i hope you find this helps you.

kind regards

fran