Carpal Tunnel Surgery Anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrstyedawg, Jul 1, 2006.

1. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

I need to have carpal tunnel surgery and was wondering what to expect. Is it done with a Lazer? Is it painful? How long does it take for the procedure and how long does it take to heal?

Thanks in advance
    Andrea
  2. Astarte

Astarte New Member

you get at least a 2nd opinion first. My sister works for a Chiropractor and she said it's rare for patients not to have lingering problems from it. I had to cysts removed in my wrist, it came back, and now I have carpo...my ortho and neuro said not to have surgery on it. It's on my right, and I'm right handed. Let me know what happens.
    Star
  3. sdlass

sdlass New Member

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel frm both my ortho and neuro. Confirmed by nerve conductive studies.
    I have been wearing a wrist splint, but it has not helped.
    I'm at the stage where i cannot close my hand or make a fist. I cannot use my hand to open jars or doors. I'm right handed and the carpal is on my right hand.|I'm awakened several times during the night with numbness and pain in hand all the way up my arm ..
    I'm at the point that the surgery results cannot be any worse than what I'm going thru now.
  4. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

i had ct surgery on my rt hand on my palm and on my wrist

at the same time my hand was complety gone had no feeling

any more ,, i went through so much with spints,inj,before

surgery and nothing help,so i had no choice, i had it done

may-03 and had 8wks of phy.thp.by aug same yr. went back

to wk .my rt hand is doing good ,,but now is my lft hand

is going through the same problem i had with my rt. but
    now i don`t have no ins, and no it was not lazer
    i had all together palm 7 stitches,,,and wrist 5 stitches

and yes it hurt i had a small cast for 2 wks and then took stiches off and therpy started ,,at first i was scared

because i had no feelings but after the thpy. i began

to feel ,,i don`t regret having it ,,it was worth it!!!!

i just wish i had ins. to do the left one.

,,gmom,, good luck
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi
    I had it done in march of 2005 to my right wrist! And it went very well! The doc used a laser on it and the scare is only 1 inch long! it almost blends in with the other palm lines!!......................................................The hardest part for me was wearing a brace for 10 days after surgery! Was hard to only have the use of one hand!

When the brace came off 10 days after surgery my wrist was very weak! had to do alot of strengthening exercises with stuff that felt and looked like silly puddy!! It was 100% worth it to get it done !! I had all but lost the use of my right hand! and now it's as good as new!!

also have to have it done on the left hand but it's not that bad yet!!.....................................................It was a day surgery (out patient) and they gave me an I.V. with a local anathestic! which means i was awake during surgery but couldn't feel anything!!.........................it'll work out for you!.............goodluck!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2006]
  6. paige51

paige51 New Member

I had carpal tunnel surgery earlier this year. My condition was really bad, guess I waited to long to get soemtthing done about it. Your age probably plays a big part on how well you do after surgery. Although the surgery helped, I know now that i will never be able to do the things I use to do with my hands.

I still have pain and the weakness is unbelieveable. I also have a condition called brachial neuritis which is pain you cannot imagine. there is no known cure for it.

The doctor is treating my left hand now. Both hands are in a mess.

The decision to have surgery is really up to you. Only you know the amount of pain you can handle.

luck to you
    paige51
  7. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Mine was done, in Feb, 2000. I still have problems with my hand, and it is slightly smaller, now that the left one.
    The hand span is limited, and I have a weak wrist.
    The Pain came back too, so we, decided not to do the left hand.

I also have OA, and I get Cysts on my finger/knukle joint, that flare up when I use my hands to much.

When I sleep at night, I lose feeling in them,, and I sometimes find that they are curled into a fist like ball.
    Hurts like you know what.

I see that the CT surgery has helped others, so once again, it's a matter of Your body, and how it handels CFS.

I have FMS/CMPD, also had a C7 Cervical surgery, and that didn't go well either.
    Now the other disc' are narrowing, and they won't operate.

I'm in no hurray about it either.

If you responed well to the other surgerys I would think, and Hope , that this will go well for you too.

Let us know what your going to do and when, so we can say Prayers for you, if you want them.
    Or just hold Good Thoughts , too.

Sorry your having this type of Pain, I hope that it gets resolved for you, without to many complactions.
    Hugs,
    sharonk
  8. mrstyedawg

mrstyedawg Member

Thanks to all that responded to my post. I, too, am having pain, tinlging, numbness, sore fingers, all of it. It has been going on for three months now. I am 41 years old and a housewife and mother. My doctor cannot figure out how I got this especially in my left hand when I am right handed.

I will probably go ahead and have the surgery and all of your prayers are greatly appreciated.

love,
    Andrea
  9. MsE

MsE New Member

I have carpal tunnel, Andrea. It started when I was pregnant with my third child. At that time it was horrendous, but no one seemed to know what it was. Eventually it went away.

However, it came back--with a vengeance. I wore braces. They helped a little bit. Then a friend told me to try B Complex vitamins along with the braces. Hooray! Improvement! I recommend you try it before you head for the surgeon.

My second daughter had the surgery. The doctor didn't make it clear to her that she would have to baby her hand and wrist for several weeks, so she didn't allow it enough time to heal. She still has trouble with it, and wears a brace at night. She said she would not have the surgery again.

My oldest daughter also has this problem. She uses braces at night and when she is working in the yard, etc. She said surgery would be her last resort.

I still have problems with numbness that I have to shake, literally, out of my hands some mornings, but the excruciating pain that I had with the first bout has never returned.